ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech hires Wofford's Mike Young

Stork3

Star
Feb 23, 2011
Glen Allen, Virginia
An excellent hire who can recruit, coach, and schedule strong non-conference games. Bravo!

This makes two for two in basketball coaches for Whit Babcock.

He's been great in the last couple years but his body of work is less impressive. That said, I know they transitioned to D1 and he probably didn't have a ton of resources earlier. I'm surprised by the hire. Figured they would find a more high-profile guy. I honestly didn't think we would consider Young that seriously for our job. But if the past few years are indicative of who he really is, it's a great hire.

Reactions: KWeaver
Young was likely Tech’s third or fourth choice. He has won 54.5% of his games as a head coach in one bid leagues. Will be interesting how he does coaching now for the first time at a much higher level. Best of luck to him and the hokies.

Last edited:
Young was likely Tech’s third or fourth choice. He has won 54.5 of his games as a head coach in one bid leagues. Will be interesting how he does coaching now for the first time at a much higher level. Best of luck to him and the hokies.
That winning percentage is eerily similar to someone.;)

Reactions: Spiderbymarriage
An excellent hire who can recruit, coach, and schedule strong non-conference games. Bravo!

This makes two for two in basketball coaches for Whit Babcock.

How do you know he can recruit?

it's easy for Spider fans to like Tech's hire from afar.
the majority of Tech fans seem very disappointed.

I think the Young hire is more for the long term. IMO I think VA Tech was upset Buzz left so quickly (but should have seen that coming with only a $500,000 buyout - flip side to that is Jamie Dixon has an $8 million buyout from TCU that even UCLA was not willing to pay).
But to me - I think Tech wants a guy who will be there long term. I think Young wil do well at Tech and the key will be expectations. I know some Tech fans and really - if he just makes the tourney on a semi-consistent basis (similar to Wofford I would say where he made it 2 years in a row, then out 2 years , then back for 2 years, etc) - Tech fans will be happy. And in the ACC, he doesn't even need to beat Duke or UNC - he just needs to finish 4th-7th in the league and your in the tourney.
Again - I don't see Tech winning a national title or making a final four under Young, but I think he can get them back to the NCAA's and keep fans happy for a long time.

Reactions: urfan1
Hiring someone for a destination position so you don’t have to make a hire in a few years...passing up what could be better candidates in the process...why does that sound a little too familiar?

Reactions: spider23
Trap, does not need to beat duke or carolina but he better beat uva some. to put this hire in perspective, we would need to know who they interviewed and maybe who they extended offers to or who turned them down. maybe he was the only guy who was serious about their job.

I would agree - beating UVA would be nice, but if he makes the NCAA similar to what he has done at Wofford (essentially 2 out of every 4 years), then I don't think people at VA Tech will worry about beating UVA too much.

Similar to us here at UR. I would love to beat VCU each year, but if you asked me you can either beat VCU or make the NCAA tourney, I will select NCAA tourney 100% of the time. But in reality - similar to VA Tech, I think it is safe to assume, if your making the NCAA on a regular basis, you are probably beating VCU or UVA at some point as well.

I think Tech likely had problems interviewing people because UCLA job was open. Cronin was probably waiting on that - so he took that job today. Woj at Marquette was mentioned, but he might be looking at a shot to succeed Coach K at some point (big maybe, but he has a shot). Willard at Seton Hall turned them down, but I don't think he was better than Young.

I guess biggest surprise is why didn't they offer Pat Beilein the job?

I know a Tech fan who isn't thinking about making the tournament every other year. they were a 4 seed this year. they lost to Duke by 2. when you're a 4 seed, you're thinking the national championship is possible. you're not thinking "it's ok if we don't make it next year".

losing their coach and hiring Young is a buzzkill, pun intended. maybe he'll work out but a coach from the SoCon isn't what they were looking for.

Feels like a reach. AD must really like him but definitely feels like they could have gotten a bit more gravitas.

Hokies will need to be patient. If he can find an assistant that can recruit he should be able to build it back to where Buzz had it. Problem is there’s such a mass exodus in Blacksburg it’ll hard to be competitive quickly.

Feels like a reach. AD must really like him but definitely feels like they could have gotten a bit more gravitas.

Not sure they could have though. With who they have coming back, combined with the fact that football is number one there, I'm not sure the job is that attractive right now.

Not sure they could have though. With who they have coming back, combined with the fact that football is number one there, I'm not sure the job is that attractive right now.
Maybe. It’s still ACC basketball and coming off back to back ncaa appearances. It’s not like taking over GT or BC or some bottom half Big12 program.

Maybe. It’s still ACC basketball and coming off back to back ncaa appearances. It’s not like taking over GT or BC or some bottom half Big12 program.

It kind of is though. They didn't play a lot of guys, and lose 4 guys that played a lot of minutes, while others might transfer. GT and BC will probably finish ahead of them next year. The timing with Buzz ready to leave Marquette worked out for them to get Buzz, but they had no chance to get a top guy now. I don't see them being relevant again for quite awhile.

I’d you think taking the VT job is akin to taking over at some other P5 bottomdweller then you need to get your head checked my friend.

I’d you think taking the VT job is akin to taking over at some other P5 bottomdweller then you need to get your head checked my friend.

Why? What makes you think it is a top P6 program? Take a look at where they were before Buzz got there. I will tell you: They went 6-30 in the ACC under James Johnson before Buzz got there. Before that, Seth Greenberg went 68-76 in the ACC and went to 1 NCAA tourney in 9 years. Buzz did the unthinkable there and made a sweet 16, but he is gone. This is not a big time program we are talking about here. Far from it.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Why? What makes you think it is a top P6 program? Take a look at where they were before Buzz got there. I will tell you: They went 6-30 in the ACC under James Johnson before Buzz got there. Before that, Seth Greenberg went 68-76 in the ACC and went to 1 NCAA tourney in 9 years. Buzz did the unthinkable there and made a sweet 16, but he is gone. This is not a big time program we are talking about here. Far from it.
Obviously why Mooney didn't take the job.

VT4700, the self-professed Virginia Tech hater, explaining why Virginia Tech sucks... That's rich.

Tech is in the ACC, can admit almost anyone, has a rabid fanbase and recent history of high-level success, along with an obvious commitment to winning. Just because they had mediocre and bad coaches before Williams doesn't mean that's what they should have going forward. They also haven't been in the ACC all that long, and now that they've established an ability to win there, there's no reason to think they won't do everything they can to maintain it.

VT4700, the self-professed Virginia Tech hater, explaining why Virginia Tech sucks... That's rich.

Tech is in the ACC, can admit almost anyone, has a rabid fanbase and recent history of high-level success, along with an obvious commitment to winning. Just because they had mediocre and bad coaches before Williams doesn't mean that's what they should have going forward. They also haven't been in the ACC all that long, and now that they've established an ability to win there, there's no reason to think they won't do everything they can to maintain it.

???? They have been in the ACC since 2004, are 118-154 in conference play since joining, they never finished 1st or 2nd ( even Buzz never got them higher than 5th), and they are a football school playing in an old building.

They lose most of the team, lost the best coach they have ever had because he left for a better job, and now have a new coach few of their fans are excited about. If the job were as good as you think, they would be paying more than 2 million a year, which is about what Wake's and GT's coaches get, and they would have gotten a successful P6 guy. It is obvious this is not an attractive job.

Reactions: Ulla1
1. Any job in the ACC is an attractive job.

2. Tech obviously has upgraded its approach to basketball since its new AD arrived. Greenberg was a holdover, Jones was a bad hire. It happens. Williams was a home run and made the job much more attractive.

3. You don't need to finish first or second in the ACC to be a great team or to make the NCAAs. Funny these are the standards you use to define excellence, though – Mooney has never finished first or second in the A10 in 14 years either.

4. Williams recruited well, coached well and won at a consistently high level. That is the new standard there. Will Young live up to it? We'll see. My guess is that he won't get 14 years to prove himself, though. He'll get three or four and if he's not making NCAAs regularly, they'll find someone else who will.

You like rooting for programs that you have very low expectations for. Weird way to be a fan, but too each his own.

$2.4 million per year makes it a pretty attractive job.
I'm sure Young was making a small fraction of that last year. Tech didn't really need to go anywhere near that high to get him, but I guess they didn't want it to seem like they were going cheap.

Tony Bennett was a very unpopular hire at UVA, too.

Biggest difference is UVA was getting ride of a coach - Dave Leitao, now coach at DePaul. On the other hand the Hokies wanted to keep their coach. Bennett was previously coach at Washington State, Pac 10, while the Hokies new coach was at Wofford, Southern Conference. Only "knock" I heard on the hiring of Bennett was lack of familiarity with either him or the Pac10. Tougher to follow a coach people liked versus following a coach people are glad to see leave...................

Reactions: VT4700
$2.4 million per year makes it a pretty attractive job.
I'm sure Young was making a small fraction of that last year. Tech didn't really need to go anywhere near that high to get him, but I guess they didn't want it to seem like they were going cheap.

No question that's a nice amount of money for someone coming from the Southern Conference. But, when you combine that type of money with an old building, a football school, lack of tradition, location, and other things, it is simply not attractive at all to an upper tier P6 guy. VT hoops is clearly a lower-tier or mid-tier at best P6 job. That is why they ended up with Young.

Reactions: Ulla1
Tech is a tough place to attend a 7 pm weekday game. Plenty of students around unless school is out, but not many local alumni. Long trip there and back on dangerous highways from anywhere in central or northern Virginia.

Tony Bennett was a very unpopular hire at UVA, too.
Yes, I remember this well among the alumnae in my family. No one knew him or his pedigree, since it was all west of the Mississippi. Even remember all the rumblings from fans and media after first few years when he was still rebuilding the dumpster fire he inherited and getting players for his style. Just like UVA did with Bennett, believe VT will give Young some leeway and he's certainly got more to work with as long as he can keep 'em in the fold.

You have a decidedly selective approach to reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say that Tech is a top P6 program. I’m intimately aware that they languished in mediocrity for a long time.

Moreover, You’re bolstering your argument by drawing upon ten years of history pre-Buzz but ignoringnwhat they’ve done recently. As of today, they aren’t comparable to the bottom-dwellers that you seem to think they’re like.

they also have a pretty good past history as i was growing up and into adulthood although not in a power conf at that time but guess the metro with memphis, louisville, etc. was pretty decent at one time. you younger guys really have no understanding of anything past 10 years and there is a ton there. programs have ups and downs, including duke, ucla, carolina, kentucky.

Young was likely Tech’s third or fourth choice. He has won 54.5% of his games as a head coach in one bid leagues. Will be interesting how he does coaching now for the first time at a much higher level. Best of luck to him and the hokies.
Nothing but positive here. Not that I expected any...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT