ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech hires Wofford's Mike Young

Tech is a tough place to attend a 7 pm weekday game. Plenty of students around unless school is out, but not many local alumni. Long trip there and back on dangerous highways from anywhere in central or northern Virginia.
Yeah, but they have a bajilliion students literally with nothing better to do than watch the snow fall horizontally and wonder where it all goes to pile up.

You have a decidedly selective approach to reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say that Tech is a top P6 program. I’m intimately aware that they languished in mediocrity for a long time.

Moreover, You’re bolstering your argument by drawing upon ten years of history pre-Buzz but ignoringnwhat they’ve done recently. As of today, they aren’t comparable to the bottom-dwellers that you seem to think they’re like.

But, Buzz is gone and so are 4 of their top guys that played a lot of minutes. So, what they have done the past few years means nothing. Pre Buzz is more relevant because Buzz is not there anymore, so things look a lot closer to the pre Buzz days now than the past few years. Not sure why that is so hard to realize.

But, Buzz is gone and so are 4 of their top guys that played a lot of minutes. So, what they have done the past few years means nothing. Pre Buzz is more relevant because Buzz is not there anymore, so things look a lot closer to the pre Buzz days now than the past few years. Not sure why that is so hard to realize.
Did two of the 4 new recruits pull out too?

You have a decidedly selective approach to reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say that Tech is a top P6 program. I’m intimately aware that they languished in mediocrity for a long time.

Moreover, You’re bolstering your argument by drawing upon ten years of history pre-Buzz but ignoringnwhat they’ve done recently. As of today, they aren’t comparable to the bottom-dwellers that you seem to think they’re like.

And. sorry, you said VT is not like taking over a bottom dwelling ACC program, so I thought you meant they were more top tier. So, are you saying middle? I already said they are bottom tier or middle at best, so what are we even debating here? If they finish bottom tier next year, and it certainly looks like they will, will the Buzz years still matter?

Ok, you’re right, they’re definitely going to be a bottomdwelling P6 team next year. Just like Louisville this year. Ya got me.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
And. sorry, you said VT is not like taking over a bottom dwelling ACC program, so I thought you meant they were more top tier. So, are you saying middle? I already said they are bottom tier or middle at best, so what are we even debating here? If they finish bottom tier next year, and it certainly looks like they will, will the Buzz years still matter?
Dude, just stop. Your arguments are so inane its fatiguing to even debate. VT is a terrible program, I get it. Move on.

Dude, just stop. Your arguments are so inane its fatiguing to even debate. VT is a terrible program, I get it. Move on.

Didn't mean to upset you, man. Sorry about that. Looking at their roster coming back, where do you think they will finish?

Ok, you’re right, they’re definitely going to be a bottomdwelling P6 team next year. Just like Louisville this year. Ya got me.

Yes, I said Louisville would not make the tourney this year. I was wrong. We all make lots of predictions on here, and it safe to say we have all missed on some. Congrats on finding one I got wrong.

Did two of the 4 new recruits pull out too?

In addition to losing 4 of their top 6 guys, they have 3 guys in the transfer portal, and another was given his release last week. Also, their one good returning player, Blackshear, has graduated and could play his final year elsewhere. I think I saw where this year's class, if the new coach can keep them all, is ranked 11th best in the ACC. Yep, they are hurting big time in Blacksburg.

Speaks light-years to the ongoing quality of recruiting over there in the mountains...

There's only one program I dislike more in the state than fodu and it's fvt.

Makes sense to me....the VT job is more attractive to other coaches when Buzz is there. Once Buzz left, creating an opening, it becomes less attractive.

Wait......what?

Keep in mind not very long ago VT4700 was shooting rainbows out of his ass about VT on their message board.

So if Coach K left Duke tomorrow and everyone on the roster transferred or went pro, I guess it's safe to say that Duke would be a bottom-level job too.

So if Coach K left Duke tomorrow and everyone on the roster transferred or went pro, I guess it's safe to say that Duke would be a bottom-level job too.

If Duke were exactly like Virginia Tech, yes. But they are not, so no. Not even close. You are not really trying to compare Virginia Tech to Duke, are you? Does Virginia Tech have all of the tradition, famous arena, national titles, and top five recruit history that Duke does?

Sweet 16s: Duke 31, VT 2.
Elite 8s: 22, VT 1.
Final Fours: Duke 16, VT 0.
Nat. Titles: Duke 6, VT 0.

Current NBA players? Duke 26, VT 1. Doesn't look like guys like Zion, Barrett, and Reddish are walking through Tech's doors every year. I love a good debate, but come on, this is not even debatable.

If Duke were exactly like Virginia Tech, yes. But they are not, so no. Not even close. You are not really trying to compare Virginia Tech to Duke, are you? Does Virginia Tech have all of the tradition, famous arena, national titles, and top five recruit history that Duke does?

Sweet 16s: Duke 31, VT 2.
Elite 8s: 22, VT 1.
Final Fours: Duke 16, VT 0.
Nat. Titles: Duke 6, VT 0.

Current NBA players? Duke 26, VT 1. Doesn't look like guys like Zion, Barrett, and Reddish are walking through Tech's doors every year. I love a good debate, but come on, this is not even debatable.
Well your argument seems to be that only Williams could elevate Tech to the level they're at now, and without him they will just slink down to irrelevancy. I could make that same argument about Duke and Coach K, only he's been there a longer than Williams was at Tech.

Duke was nothing without Coach K and all of its great accomplishments came with him as coach. So if he leaves and all the current players leave, what are they? Or are you suggesting that the program could continue to thrive because people think of Duke as a winning program? In that case, I would argue the same about Tech. Buzz made it a top-15 program that people think about as a winner.

No one is going to Duke based on what they did in 1987 – what matters most is recent history anyway, and in that sense, they're a lot closer than you might think.

Yep. That's pretty accurate. Unless you really think the job is more attractive without Robinson, Hill, Outlaw, and Alexander-Walker than with them. Not to mention everyone else who is leaving.

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/spor...cle_f3d73678-51a4-52e0-a7af-93e6680dc495.html
You really aren't that good at this message board thing, perhaps you should stick to other hobbies. I've long argued that Mooney should do that same. I still think he would be a heck of a wedding planner. Find your calling, grasshopper.

No one is going to Duke based on what they did in 1987 – what matters most is recent history anyway, and in that sense, they're a lot closer than you might think.

Funny. Still think recent history says VT and Duke are close? Next time, maybe try doing some research.

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/spor...cle_3bb9d6c9-e887-5b24-9181-837775b3e01d.html

"Blackshear’s decision means the Hokies could be without their top six players from this year’s squad.

Justin Robinson, Ahmed Hill and Ty Outlaw were seniors this year. All-ACC third-team pick Nickeil Alexander-Walker announced last week that he will skip his final two college seasons and enter the NBA draft. Wabissa Bede entered the transfer portal two weeks ago — although, like Blackshear, Bede could opt to remain a Hokie.

Landers Nolley and Chris Clarke have also entered the transfer portal. Neither played for the Hokies this year. Clarke was indefinitely suspended in October, while Nolley had an ACT issue.

Three of the four recruits who signed with Williams last fall have been granted releases from their letters-of-intent. Two have committed to Texas A&M, while Anthony Harris did not rule out becoming a Hokie as planned."

Who are you even arguing with at this point?

Oh come on, himself of course...............many people think quietly.....some out loud....and still others "pontificate with themselves" on a message board.....................

Oh come on, himself of course...............many people think quietly.....some out loud....and still others "pontificate with themselves" on a message board.....................

Yep. That's me, right? And certainly no one else on here, right?

Funny. Still think recent history says VT and Duke are close? Next time, maybe try doing some research.

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/spor...cle_3bb9d6c9-e887-5b24-9181-837775b3e01d.html

"Blackshear’s decision means the Hokies could be without their top six players from this year’s squad.

Justin Robinson, Ahmed Hill and Ty Outlaw were seniors this year. All-ACC third-team pick Nickeil Alexander-Walker announced last week that he will skip his final two college seasons and enter the NBA draft. Wabissa Bede entered the transfer portal two weeks ago — although, like Blackshear, Bede could opt to remain a Hokie.

Landers Nolley and Chris Clarke have also entered the transfer portal. Neither played for the Hokies this year. Clarke was indefinitely suspended in October, while Nolley had an ACT issue.

Three of the four recruits who signed with Williams last fall have been granted releases from their letters-of-intent. Two have committed to Texas A&M, while Anthony Harris did not rule out becoming a Hokie as planned."
Do some research? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes, a bunch of players are leaving because Buzz left. The same happens at every school when a coach leaves. You seem to think that means VT will slink back to everlasting irrelevancy as a result, and I don't. Tech beat Duke the last three or four years on the court. And my point is that Tech now has a recent history of high-level success. You can't just erase that. It exists and it shows recruits what is possible there.

Buzz also left Tech with millions of dollars of NCAA unit revenue, and that doesn't hurt.

Do some research? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes, a bunch of players are leaving because Buzz left. The same happens at every school when a coach leaves. You seem to think that means VT will slink back to everlasting irrelevancy as a result, and I don't. Tech beat Duke the last three or four years on the court. And my point is that Tech now has a recent history of high-level success. You can't just erase that. It exists and it shows recruits what is possible there.

Buzz also left Tech with millions of dollars of NCAA unit revenue, and that doesn't hurt.

I sure do wish I could bet you on this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT