ADVERTISEMENT

VCU Game Thread at the Stu- 4pm Sat ESPNU/ESPN+ (?)

I agree with a couple of your points Ferrum. I don't understand the Super Bowl thing. I've seen that referenced b4. We are saying this is VCU's Super Bowl? in what way? They dominate us esp under Mooney (8-25).

I just don't think we're using that term right. It usually signfies someone getting up for a game bc they don't have bigger, more important ones. Or doing better in a singular game bc not a lot to play for otherwise. Neither applies to VCU. Don't get me wrong. My impression has been VCU puts more importance on the game than we do. But their Super Bowl doesn't make sense...what I am missing. Furthermore VCU gets someones best shot way way more than we do. Their crowds r much more similar hosting UR vs. rest of their home games than the VCU at UR game is to rest of our home games. If anything it should be our SB. Plus VCU draws attendance much higher at away games. They play teams treating it as SB. When we play teams on road we are more likley to have a weaker away crowd on average which should be an advantage. This year only we have some added target being in 1st place.
Dates back to the CAA days when we left them for the A10, they always were up for it more since then, as a fan base/admin etc. Could of worded it a bit differently. It got to a point where its become business as usual because they almost always get the same performance from us, so its lost its meaning thanks to how we performed if you want to get into the semantics of it. They have since passed us obviously, but when they're down its still their biggest game of the season such as this past one. And we still weren't able to take them down.

I don't know how anyone can justify or explain away this record vs our "rival" and I say that as someone who generally doesn't hop on the Mooney hate/criticism bandwagon and not trying to make it a referendum on him. I'm about as Mooney neutral as they come. VCU crushing us the 4 years after the final four is somewhat understanding. But our records are quite similar the past 5 years yet our winning clip remains the same vs them. One awesome weekend in Washington doesn't make up for all the shortcomings. Neither would a win this weekend, Id rather make the NCAAs this year than dwell on this but we have to acknowledge they are doing something different than we are when it comes to this game. I do think well fare better going forward, and not worried about the rematch, but this program needs a different approach in these games from the outside, either that or just accept that they own us, move on and stop calling it a rivalry.

Today I went to a local market and ran into an old family friend and we chatted about how let down we were about the game this weekend. At that moment a old lady working the register smiled ear to ear and started talking about VCU and how she graduated from there. Now I could of been a snob and said that's why she works at a register, but I am too classy for that and don't get a sense of accomplishment making fun of VCU fans that way even if its funny and/or true. I want to make fun of the basketball misfortune its hard to do that when you only beat them 1/4 of the time. I think most of us will swallow that record if we have more NCAA appearances but we don't.

Nothing we can do about it now, just crush La Salle, destroy them in the rematch and focus on the task at hand which is making the NCAA's. I have a good feeling we won't have too much of a hangover from this, but it doesn't mean we can't have a discussion over it. Very excited for the rest the season.

I think the Spiders record and net ranking this year speaks for itself. Y’all have a solid team that’s well coached and the program has positioned itself for post season play. You know how streaks work - your on a major roll and then face an away game against a team with a chip from a bad last game and you have a recipe for a loss. It happens. I say y’all hit threes and Quinn plays like normal and the result is totally different. Lunardi is then calling y’all an 11 seed.

My only disagreement is the Super Bowl thing. Weirdly enough while we do NOT like the Spides, y’all are way below the disdain we have for Dayton and the Bonnie’s. Here is a tip of the cap. We recognize a student/employee every game that’s former military. We all stand for them. 99% of the visitors don’t which is just sheet. Y’all’s fans did which was classy! See you at the RC In March!

8-25 would bother me a lot more if we have never won a big game against them, or had not done so recently. The wins over them in the A-10 tourney in 2022 and in the at large chasing 2020 season were monster wins. So, yes, 8-25 is bad, but we could beat them at home and then again in the A-10 tourney, and then what would we hear on here next year? That we are only 10-25 against them.
The 8-25 bothers me because it’s just so lopsided. They’re a good program and perhaps should win more than their fair share of games but put it in perspective. 8 wins in 19 years? I mean that’s just bad.

It felt like we missed a chance to start turning that around.

The 8-25 bothers me because it’s just so lopsided. They’re a good program and perhaps should win more than their fair share of games but put it in perspective. 8 wins in 19 years? I mean that’s just bad.

It felt like we missed a chance to start turning that around.

It's epically bad. I'm of the opinion we have to take stock of how comically, epically bad it is before we can really improve.

There is no rivalry coach worse than our own Chris Mooney. Nobody has coached longer in 1 place and done worse vs. arch rival. All time. When u r an all timer, good or bad, it should be promoted.

And meanwhile the rival has had 6 coaches to our 1. Six! This kind of thing just does not exist in sports. Unicorn.

U have the family man Mooney, wedding planner Mooney, heart survivor Mooney vs. the big bad bullies of Broad St. It would be like trying to defeat Antifa. The networks love a storyline. Who wouldn't get on the side of Mooney and UR.

And even with all that, we can still hype up, that the RIVAL, not us, plays this game as their Super Bowl. We would flip what people think they know about sports upside down. Ratings bonanza.

It's epically bad. I'm of the opinion we have to take stock of how comically, epically bad it is before we can really improve.

There is no rivalry coach worse than our own Chris Mooney. Nobody has coached longer in 1 place and done worse vs. arch rival. All time. When u r an all timer, good or bad, it should be promoted.

And meanwhile the rival has had 6 coaches to our 1. Six! This kind of thing just does not exist in sports. Unicorn.

U have the family man Mooney, wedding planner Mooney, heart survivor Mooney vs. the big bad bullies of Broad St. It would be like trying to defeat Antifa. The networks love a storyline. Who wouldn't get on the side of Mooney and UR.

And even with all that, we can still hype up, that the RIVAL, not us, plays this game as their Super Bowl. We would flip what people think they know about sports upside down. Ratings bonanza.
Your comments are based on distain for Mooney and are not logical. Below is a link to VCU's historical record. No Richmond coach has had a good record against VCU when they have had a good team based on quality of SRS. The great Dick Tarrant's record was not good against VCU and he benefitted from some off VCU years. From 1986 to 2002 VCU had a very average team. Since 2002 they have been one of the best mid-majors in the country.

Your comments are based on distain for Mooney and are not logical. Below is a link to VCU's historical record. No Richmond coach has had a good record against VCU when they have had a good team based on quality of SRS. The great Dick Tarrant's record was not good against VCU and he benefitted from some off VCU years. From 1986 to 2002 VCU had a very average team. Since 2002 they have been one of the best mid-majors in the country.

Yes yes, very true. We should just accept it and move on. We are their bitch!.
oh and to Ram Bal. That’s a good thing you folks do. Couldn’t imagine not standing.

His comments are factual.

I have no disdain or “distain” for Mooney but I do have disdain for his vcu record. I mean who wouldn't. btw I think u r only person who cares about SRS. Logical? lol. u think its logical to use SRS, another predictive system, that in no way is designed to compare past teams let alone coaches. zero logic. Tarrant imo could roll out of bed tomorrow and do better. Tarrant, Beilein, even Ole Jer did better than Mooney. Facts. VCU is in our same conference, they are 5 miles away. We were actually in a better conference than VCU for part of Moon's tenure too.

I challenge u to find me a worse rivalry coach that has coached longer in 1 place. What am I making up. We have the all time worst rivalry coach. Again, I think we should embrace it.

How many rivalry coaches have even been at the same place for 20 years? 1. There are not that many coaches who coached at the same place for 20 years. 2. Very few of those that did even had a rival. But, whatever, keep having fun with your "worse rivalry coach.........longer than 19 years.....in one place". LOL.

UVA football coaches are 1-18 against VT since VT joined the ACC in 2004. Al Groh was 1-8 against them. Mike London 0-6. Bronco was 1-5. Tony Elliott 0-1. But, I guess it doesn't count because none were there 20 years.

Bruce Weber went 3-20 against Kansas, but wasn't there 20 years....so again, I guess it doesn't count.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section9.RowD
How many rivalry coaches have even been at the same place for 20 years? 1. There are not that many coaches who coached at the same place for 20 years. 2. Very few of those that did even had a rival. But, whatever, keep having fun with your "worse rivalry coach.........longer than 19 years.....in one place". LOL.

UVA football coaches are 1-18 against VT since VT joined the ACC in 2004. Al Groh was 1-8 against them. Mike London 0-6. Bronco was 1-5. Tony Elliott 0-1. But, I guess it doesn't count because none were there 20 years.

Bruce Weber went 3-20 against Kansas, but wasn't there 20 years....so again, I guess it doesn't count.
Not a good argument. I think you're helping him make his point. Mooney wins the prize because everyone else got fired.

So UR should lock arms with UVA and each be sanguine about the respective “rivalries“ regardless of coaching tenures. Sloughing off rivalry importance is a bad hill to die upon.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Coach K comes to mind:

143 – UNC owns a 143-115 series record over Duke

1920 – The first year of the rivalry. UNC won 36-25 when Duke was still known as Trinity College.

50-50 – Coach K’s overall record against the Tar Heels.

2-1 – Hubert Davis’ record against Duke.

Sending out an SRS
Sending out an SRS
This may have been one of the classic posts of the year. Too damn funny!

But yes, it is unbelievable the length some fans go to to defend Mooney on this hill. There are other arguments but this is a terrible hill to die on. Mooney is terrible vs VCU, the players change, the fans die off, but Mooney keeps losing to VCU.

All those coaches were fired or resigned. That’s what usually happens when u suck vs rival. Like I said we have a unicorn.

Nobody has lasted longer than Mooney and done worse in a rivalry. We r not even talking basketball. Some of those guys r close like Bruce Weber & John Cooper but none r Chris Mooney. We have the all timer! Amazing. At little UR.

Coach K comes to mind:

143 – UNC owns a 143-115 series record over Duke

1920 – The first year of the rivalry. UNC won 36-25 when Duke was still known as Trinity College.

50-50 – Coach K’s overall record against the Tar Heels.

2-1 – Hubert Davis’ record against Duke.

I’m sorry can u explain why Coach K comes to mind?

Not a good argument. I think you're helping him make his point. Mooney wins the prize because everyone else got fired.

Yes they make my point stronger. It’s great. Keep ‘em coming guys. Who has it better than we do?

Nobody!

Who is a worse rivalry coach than Chris Mooney?

Nobody!

Reactions: 8legs1dream
All those coaches were fired or resigned. That’s what usually happens when u suck vs rival. Like I said we have a unicorn.

Nobody has lasted longer than Mooney and done worse in a rivalry. We r not even talking basketball. Some of those guys r close like Bruce Weber & John Cooper but none r Chris Mooney. We have the all timer! Amazing. At little UR.
Who did you play for?

Bronco was not close to being fired after going 1-5. LOL that you added resigned. Fine, you think Mooney should be fired. I disagree. You post this same crap after every VCU loss, even when we are 8-1 IC. It makes me wonder who you even root for, and if you even cared about our wins over them in 2020 and 2022. You obviously hope they beat us so you can have fun with your little rivalry crap. Or, you are so obsessed with the rivalry you would probably rather us be 1-8 IC with a win over VCU. Whatever, man. I kind of like being 8-1 IC right now. Guess you don't. Go cheer for someone else.

Reactions: UR80sfan
Yes they make my point stronger. It’s great. Keep ‘em coming guys. Who has it better than we do?

Nobody!

Who is a worse rivalry coach than Chris Mooney?

Nobody!
Even though there are not even that many rivalry coaches out there, there are worse ones. Not everyone uses your specific ridiculous definition. But, whatever. Keep whining. We are still 8-1 IC no matter how much that bothers you. We still had huge wins over VCU and 24 win seasons in 2020 and 2022, along with an A-10 title and NCAA dance win, no matter how much that bothers you. Keep the whining coming.

Last edited:
This may have been one of the classic posts of the year. Too damn funny!

But yes, it is unbelievable the length some fans go to to defend Mooney on this hill. There are other arguments but this is a terrible hill to die on. Mooney is terrible vs VCU, the players change, the fans die off, but Mooney keeps losing to VCU.
Do you not think that maybe people strongly defend Mooney on here because of all the hate thrown his way on here? Doesn't matter if we go 24-7, win the A-10 tourney, or start 8-1 IC, there will always be hate for Mooney on here. Yet, instead of questioning why, after we start 8-1 IC, you choose to get on those defending Mooney? Whatever.

Do you not think that maybe people strongly defend Mooney on here because of all the hate thrown his way on here? Doesn't matter if we go 24-7, win the A-10 tourney, or start 8-1 IC, there will always be hate for Mooney on here. Yet, instead of questioning why, after we start 8-1 IC, you choose to get on those defending Mooney? Whatever.
Take it 8legs

VT, everyone is thrilled with the way things are going this season. But we're also all pretty pissed that we have lost 3 of every 4 games to our arch rival. It's fine if that doesn't bother you, but it bothers pretty much everyone else here. And no, the solution isn't to tell us all to go root for someone else. This is our school.

No matter what timeframe you use, we suck against them. We are 0-3 in our last 3 against them. We are 2-9 in our last 11 against them. Etc. It was fantastic to knock them out of the A10 a few years ago, end their season and launch ourselves to the tournament, but that's literally the only time we've ever had a moment like that against them under Mooney.

It's just super frustrating and annoying beyond words that we have to deal with this typically twice every single year. It would be different if we at least held serve at home regularly, but we don't.

I happen to think we are going to annihilate them in a few weeks and I can't wait, but history suggests I shouldn't be that confident.

rivalry coaches in place over 20 years

Well there are lots. Every single one did better than Mooney. Just like Coach K. Rest were fired. It doesn't even have to be 19 years. But u can't exactly use a guy like Bronco either who coached 6 total games.

It's almost impossible not to have a few big wins in 33 tries when VCU is consistently good. If we were 1-32 u would probably say hey that one time. It's indisputable we've had more killer losses, they've won way more in big spots and helped themsleves lot more than we've helped ourselves. Sure we've had a few I'd hope so, but the disparity is great. This year may be no different. So far 0-1 in really big spot. I'd love to win next 2 this year, if we do I'd give us props. Odds of us facing them twice this year r low, odds of winning 2 in a row even lower.

8-25 is not bad, it's a disaster. I've said this b4 we should promote the hell out of it. We have the losingest longest tenured rivalry coach in American sports history. Nobody been in 1 place longer and lost more frequently. Find me another. I don't think anyone can.

It might engender some sympathy pr and who knows might help us. The next vcu game could have national attention.
Well, James Jones at Yale is 387-307, for a .558 winning percentage. (Ducking head)

Bronco was not close to being fired after going 1-5. LOL that you added resigned. Fine, you think Mooney should be fired. I disagree. You post this same crap after every VCU loss, even when we are 8-1 IC. It makes me wonder who you even root for, and if you even cared about our wins over them in 2020 and 2022. You obviously hope they beat us so you can have fun with your little rivalry crap. Or, you are so obsessed with the rivalry you would probably rather us be 1-8 IC with a win over VCU. Whatever, man. I kind of like being 8-1 IC right now. Guess you don't. Go cheer for someone else.

Sure yeah Bronco. Keep trying. Maybe someone eventually will come up with someone worse.

VCU was our last game. But here we go with questioning fandom. I've defended u more than anyone on here btw. But do we have to start again with how u ignored Spiders altogether while u posted as fan on VT boards for years. Nobody can question my love of the Spiders. I think I'm the 2nd or 3rd longest tenure poster on here fwiw.

As I pointed out it's almost impossible to not have a couple big wins against VCU in 33! tries.

We are 8-25. I simply have pointed out how epically and comically bad it is. Admit the problem, then solve the problem. Denial never works. We have denial at UR. Anything Mooney has done to this point doesn't work. Same coach here, revolving door at VCU. Advantage UR? You'd think but its the opposite.

So it's time to celebrate being all time at something. We are the best at being the worst. It is an amazing accomplishment. Imagine all the extra attention it would bring. I'm trying to help the program. Put me in PR. Everyone in country would be rooting for little UR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT