ADVERTISEMENT

Tomas Verbinskis - 2017 Signee

Despite a few shaky years, I still have faith in the coaching staff and if they wanted Tomas that's enough for me to get behind him. But it still boggles my mind that we brought in five guys without adding a big man and left us empty (for now) for the following year as well.
I'm wondering if we have decided that our definition of a "big man"'is a 6'7" guy who can shoot. I'm ok with this approach, we haven't had a ton of 6'9" depth that we could play with anyway.

Look at next year. We have Grant and Paul, both 6'10"; Solly and Nathan, both 6'8"; Tomas is at least 6'7"; Bryce and Marquis are 6'5" or 6'6". The things these guys have in common are good ball handling, great shooting and passing. Do we have enough height? IMHO, we will be just fine. Roll Spide! OSC

Reactions: SpiderK
Might add that both Monte and Nick while only 6'4", and Julius at 6'3" or 6'4", are very athletic and built to play in the NFL. OSC

I'm glad we were finally able to fill out a 13 man roster. Am concerned about the lack of a big man recruit though.

For the record, I really like Verbinskis. I think he has a bright future here. Welcome, Tomas! Great decision on your part.
Me too, Stork3. Think Tomas will be a valuable player and good student/athlete. Of course, one could say that about all of our recruits. Really impressed by the quality of our recruits. OSC

Either the rest of his team is really good and going to better D1 programs, or we got a lemon. Horrible lines for a D1 bound player.
Polley is #132 in2017 class, haven't checked the rest.

Last edited:
Isiah Kirby is Joe's younger brother. He's only a soph and has already been offered by NC State.

It is still early but Thomas' season stats so far suggests he will not be among the strongest of our recruits in the 2017 class. Could be a redshirt possibility, which could certainly help him to develop.

This shouldn't be a shock. We basically had stopped recruiting him until Godwin didn't get his scores up, then we reconnected. He wasn't one of our top choices.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that some of you are not true spider supporters based on dome comments, looks like a sabotage effort.

So if I don't always compliment every player and recruit, and end all my posts with something annoying like OSC, I'm not a real supporter of UR?

So if I don't always compliment every player and recruit, and end all my posts with something annoying like OSC, I'm not a real supporter of UR?
Critical is ok, I think snap judgments on a few performances deciding a kid is going to be a role player is ridiculous. Let's wait til the HS season is over and then make a series of marginally better informed judgments.

Reactions: gcarter52
I don't know what kind of player he will be, role, starter, or bench warmer; but I do see some things I like. I do believe he will need to become much more aggressive with his game to be successful in college. Some do, and some don't. Not all college stars were HS stars.

Hard to take much from Tomas' or any players HS stats really unless you know the talent of the rest of his team, how his coach is using him, how tough the competition is, etc.

This goes the other way too. We have had plenty of guys over the years who lit it up in high school and for whatever reason it doesn't really translate to college.

I guess my point is its best to hold off on crowning the next scoring champ or projecting a bust before a guy even plays half of his senior season in high school.

I have a good feeling about Tomas Verbinski.
I note the potential irony of the difference in attitude toward him than that expressed toward JP when prior to enrolling JP announced his goal was to be A10 rookie of the year. He had the high school stats to support that goal, but such was not attainable when he experienced the increased difficulty when transitioning to college.
Some players have quite the opposite experience because of many reasons., e.g., roles assigned to them by their hs coach, late in developing the needed skills, etc. There are many examples of both. Some call them sleepers. I am hoping that TV proves to be a sleeper. He has the size and shot to become a major contributor.

I have a good feeling about Tomas Verbinski.
I note the potential irony of the difference in attitude toward him than that expressed toward JP when prior to enrolling JP announced his goal was to be A10 rookie of the year. He had the high school stats to support that goal, but such was not attainable when he experienced the increased difficulty when transitioning to college.
Some players have quite the opposite experience because of many reasons., e.g., roles assigned to them by their hs coach, late in developing the needed skills, etc. There are many examples of both. Some call them sleepers. I am hoping that TV proves to be a sleeper. He has the size and shot to become a major contributor.
Tomas played on Lithuania's national team. He is really good and is one heck of a shooter, something we desparately need. OSC

Tomas played on Lithuania's national team. He is really good and is one heck of a shooter, something we desparately need. OSC

I don't mean this as a knock on Lithuania but my wife's family had a kid who played for Lithuania's U-18 national team that lived with them for a couple of years. Guy ended up playing NAIA ball. Lithaunia has just under 3 million people, which is around the size of Arkansas.

I think of Ryan Butler when I think of TV.

I don't mean this as a knock on Lithuania but my wife's family had a kid who played for Lithuania's U-18 national team that lived with them for a couple of years. Guy ended up playing NAIA ball. Lithaunia has just under 3 million people, which is around the size of Arkansas.

I think of Ryan Butler when I think of TV.
So when he said national team, he didn't mean olympic team?

Also not a knock, that would have been impressive...

No, not Olympics. Tomas was on the U16 national team that placed 10th in the European Championships in 2014.

Critical is ok, I think snap judgments on a few performances deciding a kid is going to be a role player is ridiculous. Let's wait til the HS season is over and then make a series of marginally better informed judgments.
I don't really think it is a snap judgment to assume the kid isn't going to be a star player...he wasn't heavily recruited even by us until we missed on a lot of other guys. His high school stats aren't great. Being a role player like Ryan Butler was isn't a bad thing. We need a guy who can hit a couple of 3s again and play defense. I just don't think based on the evidence I'm seeing on here that he is going to be the next GREAT Spider player. Doesn't mean I don't think he can't come here and be successful.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Not saying this is the case, but Mooney's seat should be warm enough now that recruiting role players that may help us when they are juniors should not be a priority or consideration.

Gilyard looks to be the only confirmed stud in next years class at this point.

I don't really think it is a snap judgment to assume the kid isn't going to be a star player...he wasn't heavily recruited even by us until we missed on a lot of other guys. His high school stats aren't great. Being a role player like Ryan Butler was isn't a bad thing. We need a guy who can hit a couple of 3s again and play defense. I just don't think based on the evidence I'm seeing on here that he is going to be the next GREAT Spider player. Doesn't mean I don't think he can't come here and be successful.
How many stat lines are you basing the evaluation on?

We only know what we read here or what's reported by recruiting sites, doesn't mean that we aren't/weren't in contact. We've seen plenty of times before where someone commits and the name hasn't even been mentioned. Just means it wasn't publicly known.

Thanks for turning this into another negative thread. Spider05, can I get a refund? OSC

Apparently, any comments that aren't all rainbows, furry kittens, and unicorns will render a thread "negative".

Reactions: Eight Legger
Thanks for turning this into another negative thread. Spider05, can I get a refund? OSC
Hah, give me a break. What do you want me to say? Oh nice!!!!! 8 points and 1 assist in a high school game!!!!!!! Sounds like he is the savior we've been hoping for. Give me a break.

Reactions: wr70beh
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT