ADVERTISEMENT

Tomas Verbinskis - 2017 Signee

Ulla, did you attend the football on Saturday. My nephew and I was at practice Saturday afternoon. We talked to a couple of the players. I was impressed. I am excited for the season to start, I will be there on 11/11/16 for the VMI game!!!
garter, I also attended practice. Did not get there until 11:40am or so, but then remained until the end. I was the handsome old guy sitting on the first row as you entered on the lower level. Wish we could have chatted. I, too, think they look good. Monte, Nick and JJ all look like they could play in the NFL. If TJ is 6'9", then both Grant and Paul are 6'11". Was good to see Paul back on his feet. Kwesi is a stud and seems to know his role: play defense, pass the ball, and dunk. He does well on all of these. Talked with the coaches and they are optimistic as well. A surprise to me was how highly they think of Nathan. OSC

Reactions: SpiderK and KWeaver
Ulla, I believe big is a relative term. I don't know that we have to be huge in Mooney's system, that's the way he designed it. But I do think we need enough size to keep the other team honest.

Ulla, I believe big is a relative term. I don't know that we have to be huge in Mooney's system, that's the way he designed it. But I do think we need enough size to keep the other team honest.
Fan1, agree 100%. You do need enough size to keep the other team honest, but we now have some very quick footed guys who can defend, handle and shoot, and play bigger than their height. OSC

Fan1, agree 100%. You do need enough size to keep the other team honest, but we now have some very quick footed guys who can defend, handle and shoot, and play bigger than their height. OSC
Who were the guys with the two dogs? I started to ask if one of you were part of the forum.
I talked to Paul at the end of practice. He is very excited about the beginning of the season. They talked very positive and have a bright outlook about the season. I am all in with them...Go Spiders!!!

Who were the guys with the two dogs? I started to ask if one of you were part of the forum.
I talked to Paul at the end of practice. He is very excited about the beginning of the season. They talked very positive and have a bright outlook about the season. I am all in with them...Go Spiders!!!
gcarter, the guy with the two dogs who sat next to me prior to moving to visit with Mrs. Mooney was Paul Queally. OSC

I checked out that video at the bottom of the article (thanks for posting), kid really does have a very nice outside shot. I think if he's interested in coming here, I don't see why we wouldn't want his commitment.

agreed, he can play.

just to note, for the last few years we've had transfers, injuries, redshirts, and rosters not at the 13 man max. players are either in the rotation, or believe they have a shot at being in the rotation the following year as seniors graduate.

if Verbinskis verbals, we'll have 13 on scholarship and nobody graduating. 3-4 guys for sure won't get time that year. and if you aren't getting time that year with nobody graduating, there's little hope of getting time the following year. so we're setting ourselves up for transfers.

not saying that's the worst thing ever, but it could cause problems. you want competition for time and you want depth, but you also want a happy family and a healthy locker room.

agreed, he can play.

just to note, for the last few years we've had transfers, injuries, redshirts, and rosters not at the 13 man max. players are either in the rotation, or believe they have a shot at being in the rotation the following year as seniors graduate.

if Verbinskis verbals, we'll have 13 on scholarship and nobody graduating. 3-4 guys for sure won't get time that year. and if you aren't getting time that year with nobody graduating, there's little hope of getting time the following year. so we're setting ourselves up for transfers.

not saying that's the worst thing ever, but it could cause problems. you want competition for time and you want depth, but you also want a happy family and a healthy locker room.
I think this is the exact reason you offer him. Guys transfer, guys get injured, etc. I don't subscribe to the theory that we have to max out scholarships necessarily, but I also think if you've got a strong prospect, try to get their commit.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Not going to say I'm not concerned about both Cayo and Verbinskis being rather off the recruiting radar. I certainly hope they're diamonds in the rough, but I'm nervous about not getting the bigs we need and leaving us potentially unable to play in the grad market.

I feel like Verbinskis is the type of kid that ends up at Davidson and torches us for 6 open three pointers. But on the other hand, I think I am slightly in the camp of using the last open schollie on a guy who is taller and weighs more, whether frosh or grad transfer.

If McKillop starts recruiting him, then I reserve the right to retract my statement. His shooting in the video sure was pleasant to watch.

Saw Tomas on Saturday just prior to his departure. Not sure that his UR offer remained a viable option after Nathan's commit. Hope I'm wrong. OSC

Right now, we have 3 players in next year's class who play a similar position to Tomas (Schneider, Quis,& Cayo). Can't see the purpose of bringing in yet another player to play an overstocked position, unless we think Tomas is a can't miss prospect (his current offer list does not speak to that).

We continue to desperately need a big man recruit for next year's class, so I would be in favor of holding that spot until a candidate emerges either via transfer, grad transfer, or high school recruit. There are plenty of options left.

What we should not due is hold the spot for Bryce or just hold it to 2018. There is absolutely no reason we should not be filling our 13 allotted scholarship each and every year (I will give Mooney a pass this year though, since admissions screwed over Bernard after he had committed).

I consider Schneider the 2, Quis the 3, and Cayo the 4 in this class, though all similar in skill set. so no overlap yet. but yes, Tomas presents an overlap that you don't normally want in a class.

It's not ideal to have an empty class coming up. I want 2 guys in that class. so right now we'd need one transfer plus this spot. because of the empty class, I don't agree that we must fill this spot with a 4 year guy. I'd hold it and look for a grad transfer. unless Tomas is that good and he might be.

and going into next year with 12 wouldn't be a crime. there's not much fat on this roster. these guys can play. #13 isn't playing, so don't reach.

Nice assessment, spiderman. Tomas could be that good. Regarding big men, one source told me that both Solly and Nathan are 6'8" studs and possibly our best recruits. OSC

I consider Schneider the 2, Quis the 3, and Cayo the 4 in this class, though all similar in skill set. so no overlap yet. but yes, Tomas presents an overlap that you don't normally want in a class.

It's not ideal to have an empty class coming up. I want 2 guys in that class. so right now we'd need one transfer plus this spot. because of the empty class, I don't agree that we must fill this spot with a 4 year guy. I'd hold it and look for a grad transfer. unless Tomas is that good and he might be.

and going into next year with 12 wouldn't be a crime. there's not much fat on this roster. these guys can play. #13 isn't playing, so don't reach.
Isn't this "empty class" consideration really just a red herring? As a practical matter, does it really make a difference if a scholarship player is on the roster next year versus the year after, particularly in light of how much transferring goes on?

I obviously understand the desire to have balance across classes, in theory it means we have less of a dropoff in experience year to year, but I'm not sure I'd make that my primary motivator in bringing in talent.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I almost wonder if there should be a sticky showing the current state of the future roster for the next 4 seasons (starting 2017-2018) including walk-ons, and showing height and class? As well as open spots? Sort of a reorganized Verbal Commits (which doesn't show Solly giving up his spot after March 2019).

There's a good one organized by the folks on the A-10 board. Doesn't list heights, but keeps track of the classes and open spots for each year.

Edit: The forum software insists on embedding a small version of the actual spreadsheet when I try to link it, so click here if you want to go directly to it.

Reactions: Ram Bal
I used to follow that one, but it seemed to drop off my radar about 5 years ago...

Thanks!

Cayo is going to have put on some bulk if he wants to play the 4 in the A-10. He is 6'7 and 200. That is not a profile that can bang. Granted he is a high school junior and certainly can grow both in heigth wise and weight wise. I'm excited about Cayo possibilities. He seems to fit really well with the system we run.

Welcome aboard Tomas, great class, should do great things!

I wonder if any of our recruits is going to redshirt? Also, as of now (assuming no transfers) we don't have any scholarships available for the class of 2018, right?

I wonder if any of our recruits is going to redshirt? Also, as of now (assuming no transfers) we don't have any scholarships available for the class of 2018, right?
I think that is correct. Again, I am not advocating, but statistics would say we have someone transfer out, just the nature of the game today. Add Bryce to these two classes and we would be Golden ;)

Correct, barring a departure, we have no scholarships for 2018.

Despite a few shaky years, I still have faith in the coaching staff and if they wanted Tomas that's enough for me to get behind him. But it still boggles my mind that we brought in five guys without adding a big man and left us empty (for now) for the following year as well.

Just for further information....
(Article linked at the bottom)

580aafa44c3bd.image.jpg

Richmond Spiders receive fifth hoops commitment
The University of Richmond capped its class of 2017 basketball recruiting Friday night when 6-foot-7 Tomas Verbinskis orally committed to the Spiders.

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT