ADVERTISEMENT

To Ben M3

Jan 1, 2013
Ben M3, I did not want to sully the memory of another. I wanted to point my comments directly to you. In the other thread, I asked you this...

Originally posted by BenM3:

I knew Kurt personally. I had a class with him and continued to interact with him thereafter... That's why we try to have adults make important decisions in life. Just try sharing these fluff "feeling" thoughts about how things are getting better...than to examine something seriously and honestly...

Talk is cheap. Why don't you man up and reveal yourself? Or do you prefer the androgynous "adult-up"? In what manner did you have a class with him? After that we can discuss your agenda.

Ben's Points

Still waiting BenM3. You need to say more than vacuous claims of knowledge of the situation. Did you actually know the guy or not? In what capacity? We can discuss your agenda, but not in the other thread, where others' pain exists. I reserve special opprobrium for those (like you) who use the death of another to push an agenda or make political points.

I spent two hours every day with him for five weeks in a class last May Term on campus. We became friends toward the end, he shared a few of his physical challenges with the rest of us in class during those weeks, and we continued to chat whenever our paths crossed on campus this fall semester, which was in between classes a couple of times each week. We were not close friends, but I knew him and I miss him.

why do kids die while riding bikes or riding in motorized vehicles? why do people die climbing mountains or swimming in the ocean or flying aircraft? we all die, none of us are getting out of this thing alive, some feel like they want to play, climb, ride and drive, though they know what could happen to them, it is called life, live it to its fullest. no guarantees of tomorrow for any of us.

you seem to have access, just lying around obviously, to a lot of facts and figures. Do this for me - share with us how many kids, high schoolers, and adults across the country play football. Then let us know how many of them die each year as a DIRECT result of playing football. I'd be interested to compare this number to other activities. I suspect we all know the answer to this question but I'd like you to provide it for us. I would imagine you would prefer to wade in the grey area of concussion related illnesses because it is completely impossible to know what, when, how many, etc which provides you and your kind with the ambiguity needed to belabor your assertion. You remind me of the man-made global warming crowd except you all haven't quite figured out how to profit from this yet.

I express again my condolences to Kurt's family, friends, and teammates. Obviously, this is a tragic story of a young life gone too soon.

What I find curious is the media reporting. Kurt's untimely and tragic passing is coupled with reporting on the multiple concussions he sustained in his playing career. The two are facts, but are they related? We have no facts from the medical examiner so why are these two facts juxtapositioned inferring that causation was involved? Perhaps it was, but until we have facts that would be a story for a different day. Another example of what could be considered poor or advocacy journalism.

^^Amen.

And we have his former professor providing editorial before Kurt has even been buried. Pure class.

We need to lay off this subject for a while. Now is not the time to be speculating on what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT