ADVERTISEMENT

Streeter to Clemson

Going back to his alma mater where he is somewhat of an icon.More money for he and his family.Lots of people get out of dodge while the gettin is good.Better opportunity,for sure.He also may see some clouds on the UR horizon after 22 seniors hit the road.Streeter got UR offensive football into the 21st century running the spread which up to that point had operated in the dark ages.

This post was edited on 12/8 1:30 PM by 32counter

Clemson assistants are very well paid

Maybe he reads Spidernation! Now we get to see if the glass is half full or empty.

So will now Streeter be blamed for not being focused & thinking ahead to new job like many did with London & App State game? I see all this talk about poor offensive gameplan. Obviously this was in the works & didn't go down just after our loss, maybe he was ready to leave and get back to his alma mater and didn't give it his best pre-game and in-game. This is not my opinion but that's what those would have you believe about Mike London.

i don't think he called his best game Saturday, but this is going to be a big loss for us.

Good luck, Coach Streeter.

feel he had a good game plan, he just did not do anything about it once the defense took stuff away from him. you can plan all week but you have to be able to make adjustments during the game or get smoked. a great opportunity for him and yes, would think part of his mind was at clemson already and yes, it did affect him, just natural.

I doubt he will be the last. I expect one more.

Clemson's offense with the running QB in Watson is different. Keep in mind he is coaching Qb's. He is not the OC.

Does Charlie Fisher become play caller or do we hire someone from outside the program?

He did a great job for us. Happy for him. I doubt very seriously if he read any of the crap on this board. He seems much smarter than that. This young man will move up the latter in the FBS world.

Gkiller has some good points. I do blame streeter for these 30-40 yard looping passes w/ one on one coverage that had no chance for any success vs. CC sat. they blitzed us on every passing situation, knocking strauss down each time. their was no running game sat.or the entire streeter era. their was no screens ,no reverses.one tignt end reception.one to the middle field that BB scored.I sat their dumb-founded,embarrassed and humiliated.

We had about as prolific an offense under Streeter as I can recall. Thought he was too slow to adjust the game plan on occasion and underutilized some very good TEs, but he will be missed. Wish him the best and appreciate his contribution to Spider football.

Maybe he can beat the Criminoles with that 7 on 7 game plan, I don't think he plans for any lineman at all to be playing in the game. Typical gunslinger QB mentality.

The burning question I have about our offense under Streeter is how much flexibility does the QB have at the line to make audible calls. If anyone is in the know please inform us. I just could not fathom how we had no answer for continuous blitzes at CCU. It was often obvious the blitz was coming but saw little adjustments being made.

Originally posted by spiderjpo:

The burning question I have about our offense under Streeter is how much flexibility does the QB have at the line to make audible calls. If anyone is in the know please inform us. I just could not fathom how we had no answer for continuous blitzes at CCU. It was often obvious the blitz was coming but saw little adjustments being made.
Little. Some plays have a built-in check, but even that play was set and it was the only one Strauss could adjust to

We may disagree on Streeter's philosophy (7 on 7 mentality) and some of his shortcomings (in game adjustments, running game, utilization of the TE), but his offenses at Liberty and Richmond were typically near the top of the conference and sometimes nationally ranked in terms of yards and points. Coach Streeter is obviously a bright young coach with a promising future and I wish him best of luck at his alma mater.

On a side note: In 1984 I had a football recruiting visit to Gettysburg College. I met with the head coach, Barry Streeter (Brandon's dad). 30 years later, Barry Streeter is still the head coach there. His dad is a well respected football coach and has been a successful, long term coach at the D-III level. Brandon is a football lifer who will probably follow in his father's footsteps as a long time, successful coach.

Anyone think Streeter favors the passing game? Of course he does and for him to return to his alma mater at higher pay is a no brainer. Also agree that when the passing game was not working at Coastal Carolina we stuck with it to our detriment but ended up with high passing yardage because of the end of game dynamics. Wish him the best and trust he will look back on his Richmond time with fondness. On the other hand hopefully we will feature a more balanced run/pass attack going forward.

i love hurry up passing attacks and feel Coach Streeter put up big numbers and lots of yardage, we will miss him. now that SAE has been thrown off the clemson campus for the CRIP'S CHRISTMAS BASH, he might want to rethink his decision.

Spinner, I think watching guys like Sammy Watkins, Andre Ellington, DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant, and Dwayne Allen on Sundays probably outweighs the stupid actions of some frat guys. Coach Streeter is going to have plenty of talent to work with including Clemson's current qb (Watson) who is a former 5 star and only a freshman.

It will be interesting to see if Corp gets consideration. My gut tells me that Fisher slides over from WR coach to QB coach/OC and we hire another WR coach (could be Aaron for all we know).

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Very important hire.

ease up Captain, don't you know humor when you read it?? great opportunity for him and would have been stupid for him not to take it.

Regardless of who comes on as the OC my wish is that they believe in utilizing their entire arsenal of play makers and are not known for just a passing mode, but instead a balanced plan of attack. I would also like to see us focus on improving our run game and have it more effective between the tackles. Our passing game will never be totally effective, till we can block and open holes and put us in short yardage situations, ala the Tim Hightower/Jacque Vaughan days. those guys were also a huge threat for receceiving passes as was Stewart the TE.

would like to try a spread passing attack, although know that is not what DR will want but would love to run what baylor or tcu runs and just see how it works out. they still run the ball for large yardage but the spread allows them to put up the points and compete with any team. baylor passed for 4100 yards, rushed for 2800 yards this season for example. not sure what unh does but they score 40 points per game and they do not lose much and are in the playoffs every season. we should be able to do that too.

We should run a system to which we can recruit to our strengths. Clawson knew what he was doing. follow the Stanford model.

UR coaching just blew the opportunity on the best TE they have ever had at the school. They are absolutely cluless

Originally posted by spiderdevil:

UR coaching just blew the opportunity on the best TE they have ever had at the school. They are absolutely cluless
Debatable, but yes we very much underutilized the TE this fall. Even after Barnette went down

Originally posted by DTSpider:
We should run a system to which we can recruit to our strengths. Clawson knew what he was doing. follow the Stanford model.
It really would be awesome if we could run the ball when the other team knew we were about the run the ball, wouldn't it? I'd argue that we haven't been able to do it since 2008.

that is my point, if you want to have balance, you have to be able to do both. if we cannot, consistently, then let's just go spread it out and outscore our opponents. most of those spread teams have offensive lines which are more finesse than strength. whistling in the wind, that is not the DR style but i just want to win. am happy with where the program has come after the fire but we need to keep it going. not sure if unh still runs the chip kelly offense or just a little of it but they sure have been successful with whatever it is and they should not beat out nova and w&m and umwcah or UR every season but they do. we need some of that!!!

This might be a really critical loss for next year considering we have to break in a new QB and with Streeter gone, that takes the offensive plays/playbook/etc with him. So not only will a guy have to seize the reigns but he'll also have to mesh and l;earn a new offense.

Mo when you said be able to run it when they expect us to run it, I immediately went back to Barty Smith who went on to play FB with the Packers. He ran the ball as much as the HB and honestly I think most defenses were praying that we would throw the ball vs give it to him.

good examples today are arkansas and wisconsin, everyone knows they are going to line up with a huge o-line and just pound you. very few team do that anymore, offenses are more spread and passing but a run offense can be a beautiful thing.

Spiders did a nice job running the ball late in the W&M game when Tribe knew they were going to run, but often times throughout the season they didn't have enough balance with the run game.

Due to the nature of spread offense and 7 on 7's at the high school level, I think it may be easier for a school like UR to find QBs and WRs who are talented in the passing game. The pool is much larger with that type of player.

The offensive linemen in the spread offense seem to be more finesse player who rely on technique and smarts and are less of the old school, physical player that was nasty and just a dominate road grader.

I would like to see UR recruit the type of QB who is equally effective passing and running. Villanova's Robertson, JMU's Lee, the 2 UNH QBs and the Coastal QB come to mind. At the college level it seems like a good dual threat QB puts a lot of pressure on the defense.

agree Dad, think that would be the way to go for our type of school. here in texas, most, should say a ton, of high schools run the spread so those qbs can matriculate to a college and be ready pretty quickly to play if need be. when a qb can run, it puts so much pressure on the D to defend a person they normally do not worry about each play. we did some wildcat type stuff but what if that running guy in the wildcat was back there every play instead on one play a game, where you knew he was going to run? probably have to utilize you LBs and safeties thus maybe opening up the passing too.

Originally posted by PASpiderDad:

I would like to see UR recruit the type of QB who is equally effective passing and running...
In the past, we have lost a lot of QB's who were both run and pass types. Most recently, John Laub comes to mind (the QB before Strauss). These QB's get hit so much, they tend to get severe injuries. Laub lasted about 1/2 of a season. We lost one QB, a run-pass type, to concussions in the early 1990's. He had a number of concussions in quick succession. I would rather have a QB, like Strauss, who is very good, who doesn't get hurt running the ball. (Strauss got hurt making a tackle).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT