ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Soulis - 2023 Signee

Keep in mind these were Quinn highlights. My guess would be they could also find highlights of Soulis preventing Quinn from scoring if they wanted to show that. And, seems pretty ridiculous to talk about a kid who has never played a minute of college ball being "abused" by a 7 footer with 4 years of college experience, especially on a Quinn highlight package.

Last edited:
Keep in mind these were Quinn highlights. My guess would be they could also find highlights of Soulis preventing Quinn from scoring if they wanted to show that. And, seems pretty ridiculous to talk about a kid who has never played a minute of college ball being "abused" by a 7 footer with 4 years of college experience, especially on a Quinn highlight package.
Do you deny he was being abused by Quinn there? I’d bet money Ryan would freely admit it on those plays. His sheepish grin is plainly visible.

It’s not a knock…it’s completely expected that a guy with Neal’s experience in general and in our system would do that to a guy who just set foot on campus. And yes, of course they were Neal highlights and don’t tell the whole story.

But by the same token, it’s also why I think people who believe Ryan will be a major contributor this season need to slow their roll. He may certainly get there, but it’s going to take time.

For all who think Mooney should go, and I’m not totally in his camp, but feel that posting
the Fire Mooney billboard is childish as a person’s profile picture is disrespectful of a hard working coach,
even if you don’t like the results.
And here’s a question. Would another coach be able to bring in players that are 3,4 or 5 star rated
to our program? Not likely.

Annap,
I have no illusions as to what star players we get or anyone else and really don’t care. I want a coach who recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of his players and uses the best o, d and game strategy to make use of the strengths and is able to cover the weaknesses. I want to see the team hit the schedule running and not lose games they are expected to win. I want to see players and the team improve over the season. I want to see crisp passes and high percentage free throw shooting. I want to see tough fundamental individual defense. Crisp passes, high percentage free throws and tough fundamental individual do not require stars. We don’t have that with the current coaching staff.

But by the same token, it’s also why I think people who believe Ryan will be a major contributor this season need to slow their roll. He may certainly get there, but it’s going to take time.
Been watching quite a bit of college football last two evenings and Im throwing the flag for targeting here :). I think I am the only one on record calling for immediate production. AND, my call for it is based on what our highest ceiling team IMO would be, not what I necessarily expect.

Reactions: VT4700
First, it is interesting how these topics diverge. I don’t really want to post this under a specific 2023 signee thread, but don’t want to create a new thread either.

I know the landscape has changed and we'll have to fill in as needed with transfers, but I still think for UR our best chance for success will come from 4 year kids.

….we need to land the right guys, and then we need to keep them.

I want a coach who recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of his players and uses the best o, d and game strategy to make use of the strengths and is able to cover the weaknesses…..I want to see players and the team improve over the season.

I agree with the 2 things above in tandem and the big issue with last year was that nothing came together and in addition UR ended up with hardly anything to build on. Is it likely that the current staff gets all the pieces together this year? Unfortunately, I think the answer is no and then we are back to what foundation has been established for next year. So once again, the Spiders are 2-3 years out from what everyone on the Forum would agree is a successful season. I am simply hoping a foundation is built and that all depends on if the staff landed “the right guys”.

Annap,
I have no illusions as to what star players we get or anyone else and really don’t care. I want a coach who recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of his players and uses the best o, d and game strategy to make use of the strengths and is able to cover the weaknesses. I want to see the team hit the schedule running and not lose games they are expected to win. I want to see players and the team improve over the season. I want to see crisp passes and high percentage free throw shooting. I want to see tough fundamental individual defense. Crisp passes, high percentage free throws and tough fundamental individual do not require stars. We don’t have that with the current coaching staff.
Watching the practices , I think they are the same thing Mooney wants.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Annap,

Is that you, Dick Tarrant?

He was dressed with no boot last Saturday, so i presume he’s available if needed. I suspect they’re in no rush to get him back out there.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Thanks guys. With Walz playing solid to good I can see this. Good to hear he appears healthy.

I did not realize that he played Saturday. Great to hear.

Since we are already in plan for A10 tourney mode apparently, hopefully he can gain some minutes

Not sure if anyone else has brought this up. I see he’s still in street clothes today. Thoughts on whether he will be able to get a medical redshirt with his foot injury?

it's enjoyable reading through these preseason threads!
we're having a fun season. there were a lot of doom and gloom posts.

the videos of Ryan look great. get the redshirt, get healthy, and hopefully we get 4 really good years from him.

I don't believe he ever dressed after his foot injury in December/January. I'd assume we are trying to get a medical redshirt and have 4 more years of eligibility. Don't believe that gets decided for a little while.

Did he have another procedure? I didn't think he'd been a boot for quite some time. Seemed like he was in regular shoes on the bench.

we know per his bio he hurt his right foot twice ... 1st vs VMI on 11/6/23.
he came back and played VERY briefly in 2 games 12/2 and 12/9.
then hurt his foot again in practice on 12/20/23 and didn't play again.

we're in April. that's a really long time to be in a boot unless he hurt it again or had surgery.

Reactions: urfan1
After the 12/20 injury, Soulis was in a boot for a number of games, but he was definitely out of it by the 1/24 GW game, possibly earlier.

Don't remember seeing him back in a boot after that stint.

I thought he was bootless on senior night…
Correct. I can’t find any evidence of him being in a boot since mid-January, including at the NIT game, so I think either urfan1 is mistaken or Soulis has needed another boot-inducing procedure since the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT