ADVERTISEMENT

Roussell has some work to do

Leaving Dji alone for a bit. Women got off too easy for giving up their Spider Cards and entering the portal...

Disappointed to see so many women's players leave after such a good season! It definitely leaves a stain to see them leave with eligibility left. Roussell is a fantastic coach, and I thought there would be more loyalty among the players. I get leaving in some of their cases to seek minutes elsewhere. So their loyalty rating doesn't take a huge hit. And I get that Townsend and Ryan will graduate, but they had eligibility left. So, it leaves a stain on my appreciation of them. Townsend came in as a walk-on and worked her way up to a star. I find it sad that Grace did not want to show her appreciation to Richmond by using her extra year of eligibility. I don't expect her to have more success elsewhere either. Definitely downgrades her Spider loyalty status. Disappointed in her especially because I loved her so much.

Loyalty/Pride ratings (0-5):
Entire college basketball career from the time you enter: 5
Leave as a graduate with eligibility left for a different life path outside of basketball: 4
Leave as a graduate with eligibility left for another school to play basketball: 2
Leave without a degree for another school because of limited playing time: 3
Leave without a degree for another school expecting to go deeper in March: 0

Im all for analytics but am going to hold the line on the SPLR (Spider Pride Loyalty Rating). That’s just too much data to process without a Commodore 64 or Vic20 at my fingertips.

Leaving Dji alone for a bit. Women got off too easy for giving up their Spider Cards and entering the portal...

Disappointed to see so many women's players leave after such a good season! It definitely leaves a stain to see them leave with eligibility left. Roussell is a fantastic coach, and I thought there would be more loyalty among the players. I get leaving in some of their cases to seek minutes elsewhere. So their loyalty rating doesn't take a huge hit. And I get that Townsend and Ryan will graduate, but they had eligibility left. So, it leaves a stain on my appreciation of them. Townsend came in as a walk-on and worked her way up to a star. I find it sad that Grace did not want to show her appreciation to Richmond by using her extra year of eligibility. I don't expect her to have more success elsewhere either. Definitely downgrades her Spider loyalty status. Disappointed in her especially because I loved her so much.

Leave as a graduate with eligibility left for a different life path outside of basketball: 4
Leave as a graduate with eligibility left for another school to play basketball: 2
Dude.

I think you are the only one who is this bothered by all of this. And the only one who will use a loyalty ratings system to judge loyalty.

I remain disappointed and shocked that others don't seem to love our Spiders as much as I do. Everyone else seems to value money more and seem to believe you have to go somewhere else to have high level success. Until we break that mentality, we will remain little 'ole Richmond like so many of you seem to believe.

Last edited:
I remain disappointed and shocked that others don't love our Spiders as much as I do. Everyone else seems to value money more and seem to believe you have to go somewhere else to have high level success. Until we break that mentality, we will remain little 'ole Richmond like so many of you seem to believe.
This makes no sense...."little ole Richmond" has lost way fewer transfers than most schools.

Reactions: ncspiderfan
This makes no sense...."little ole Richmond" has lost way fewer transfers than most schools.
Yes, having an overall positive net in the portal is the light I have to focus on to keep me going. I think you guys are right. Most leave if they aren't getting enough minutes. Or graduate and use their extra covid year elsewhere, but that still feels like a slap in the face.

I'm just hurting so badly because I want our teams to succeed at a high level. It is really hard, but I believe we have things nearly in place to be super successful. I want it so bad! I know you guys hate me now for being so passionate, but my passion for the Spiders is a huge part of my identity for better or worse. At least there's someone they hate more than you on the board now, VT.

I remain disappointed and shocked that others don't love our Spiders as much as I do. Everyone else seems to value money more and seem to believe you have to go somewhere else to have high level success. Until we break that mentality, we will remain little 'ole Richmond like so many of you seem to believe.
Don't challenge the love others feel for the Spiders. Not a good path, others just show their love differently.

Players should be able to choose what is best for themselves, and most fans will not criticize if they commit their best when here.

Don't challenge the love others feel for the Spiders. Not a good path, others just show their love differently.

Players should be able to choose what is best for themselves, and most fans will not criticize if they commit their best when here.
Well, if a player leaves and he/she could have stayed, it's clear to me there's a level of love available that is higher than what has been shown. They choose something else, and they're entitled to do that, but their level of love for the Spiders is not as high as it could be.

And when you guys don't recognize that and/or are cool with it, then it's clear to me, there is a level higher you could go in support of the Spiders.

I'm just hurting so badly because I want our teams to succeed at a high level. It is really hard, but I believe we have things nearly in place to be super successful. I want it so bad! I know you guys hate me now for being so passionate, but my passion for the Spiders is a huge part of my identity for better or worse. At least there's someone they hate more than you on the board now, VT.
Nobody hates you, VT4700 or anyone else on here. We are just Spider fans on a message board talking out agreements and disagreements.

why was he hired at UR? I legit haven't followed the baseball team since we made the Super Regional a long time ago but hiring a guy who was sub .500 for his initial 6 seasons of coaching, with no one season of terrific success during that time, seems like it was bound to fail.

why was he hired at UR? I legit haven't followed the baseball team since we made the Super Regional a long time ago but hiring a guy who was sub .500 for his initial 6 seasons of coaching, with no one season of terrific success during that time, seems like it was bound to fail.
local guy with pro experience, his Valpo teams generally got better and made NCAA's in last year. At UR overall below 500, but 6 of 10 years above 500.

We've reached out to Chattanooga's Hannah Kohn. Trying to replace Ryan's 47% shooting from deep with Kohn's 46% clip. And Kohn had enough makes to qualify for the NCAA leader list in second place.

Good for them, but bad for us. Mid-majors develop and polish the player, the high majors swoop in and get the finished product for free. Welcome to the transfer portal era.

Both of these women fulfilled their obligation to UR (IMHO), stayed four seasons and graduated. Of course I wish they would have stayed, but I understand their desire to move on. I hope they take advantage of their academic opportunities at their new schools.

Georgetown upset its way to the Big East finals this year before being destroyed by UConn and then losing in the first round of the WNIT. Carolina's all-ACC point guard has entered the portal so there is an immediate spot for Grace.

Reactions: WCUR11
It’s too bad bc we’d really have a great team all returning but esp when it’s UNC and Gtown I can’t blame them. As I said above my feeling is women care more about the grad degree as it relates to professional opportunities bc there isn’t much of a pro basketball path. These r both Covid years that will end next offseason.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
It's going to be interesting next year to see what happens. Will rising seniors bounce for NIL money or will they stay? A decent number of fifth-year kids seemed to honor their original schools but bounce for a fifth year somewhere else. Will that disappear or will it just slide back a year now that the covid years are over?

As discussed regarding the men, transferring as a rising senior is tricky for academic reasons. UR is far from the only school that requires a decent number of credits in residence before they'll give you a diploma.

Reactions: urfan1 and WCUR11
As discussed regarding the men, transferring as a rising senior is tricky for academic reasons. UR is far from the only school that requires a decent number of credits in residence before they'll give you a diploma.
So maybe this will inherently limit players transferring near the end of their playing careers. If so, that could benefit us.

I think in general for us, when we get guys with 1 or 2 years left, there is a very good chance they end their careers with us. The riskier gets are guys like Roche (not him in particular, just an example) who had a great freshman year somewhere lower, come up to play with us for a year or two, do well, and then want to go P6 for their senior year.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT