ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond versus Lasalle

Can we also pool together about 5 bucks for LaSalle to put all the screws into the rims for the next time we play in that elementary school gym?!

Typical bullshit road game for us. We F around for 15 minutes and get hopelessly behind, Kendall misses 3 from the line and then our mad dash to the finish comes up just short. How many times have we seen this movie??? God almighty.

Same old ending on the road. Got to show up ready to go. Despite this loss I think we are still playing good ball. I think we will throttle Rhody on Sunday.

We are the pitcher who gives up 4 or 5 runs in the first inning every start, then pitches a shutout the rest of the game. Can't win that way most of the time.

Refs were calling fouls even before they happened for Explorers most of the game, but our coaches can't even change our game plan to exploit early on what should be a strength for us, even when we have trouble scoring -- FT shooting. Yes, K0 and others missed some, but we needed to attack and make refs call some GHOST ones for us from the BEGINNING of the game. Also if our 2 short guards would actually shot fake and create contact on the perimeter, they'd be at the FT line nearly every time. Bad game plan all around for coaches tonight by not doing more full court press or making them take 3-pt shots, which they don't make as often. We've seen this script before from Explorers and you'd think they would know what the Dr has in store. The slow starts kill our team and on the road unless we are AGGRESSIVE and ATTACK the other team on both D and at the rim on O, we will most always lose. At least next game is a home, so hopefully they can once again bounce back from what I consider a bad loss, cause if they'd even played decently, they would have won.

What a shame, turnovers, missed FTs, and 6 or more missed chip shots was our undoing. Lasalle fell apart in the second half and we could not close out. On the road again.

Doesn't matter who they throttle now. Everyone was watching this game. They won't pay any attention to us rest of the season.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Typical bullshit road game for us. We F around for 15 minutes and get hopelessly behind, Kendall misses 3 from the line and then our mad dash to the finish comes up just short. How many times have we seen this movie??? God almighty.
It'll be playing at the Westhampton Theater all through the NCAA's.

Same pattern - at GW, at Dayton, at La Salle. Tonight may have been the weakest of the 3 road games mentioned.

Tonight - play from behind in first half & get close. Play from behind big in 2nd half & get close. Had several chances in 2nd half to tie or go ahead but either shot poorly or turned the ball over.

It doesn't look like we can break the pattern.

I don't think coaching was an issue at all tonight. In fact, I think coach did a great job making adjustments. We missed some FTs, easy buckets, and turned over the ball a ton. I'm all about positivity, but our post season rides on winning the A-10 tourney. If ANO and TA could play like that all game, we'd never lose

Don't agree that tonight's game plan wasn't a factor and it always seems to be against this team up there. Coming out that badly prepared for what LaSalle would do on O and them attacking us simply to get to FT line or make a chippy in the paint is all on the coaches. We should have then adjusted to get to the line as much as we could in 1st half to keep it close and pressure them even more early. Waiting to pressure more in 2nd half meant expending too much energy by then and resulted in a lot of wasted possessions when we should have taken the lead. Yes, there was a lot of bad execution by the team overall plus way too many TOs early, but still I will never understand us not exploiting one of our strengths -- FT shooting -- as much as we can early in games this season, particularly on the road. Other than TD and DT, we've got 5 players (and maybe a couple more) who can make them pretty regularly. But instead we waste possessions and transitions with 3 pt shots rather than taking it hard and aggressive to the rim. It's one thing to go for the transition 3 at home where they're more comfortable, but quite another on the road for this team. Will be cheering hard for them Sunday to bounce back from a disappointing loss, but sure wish this coaching staff would think "out of the box" when we go on the road again. Anything would be better than simply hoping for a different result when doing the same exact things.

LaSalle was absolutely horrible the second half. We just couldn't shoot or make key free throws. Worst game of the season for Cline. Taylor had one terrific moment and was non-existent the rest of the game. Davis was not good. We were very inconsistent. We hustled and played hard, but we easily could have won this game. I don't think LaSalle could have played any worse in the second half than they did, and we still couldn't pull out a win. Oh, well. We only have 4 more road games. Apparently our rebounding against VCU was merely an anomaly. Now it's back to who we really are. I had such high hopes that CM had changed his philosophy and was all set to give him major kudos. Unfortunately, it's just the same old, same old. If we don't shoot well, we have to rebound. We did neither. Still hoping we make a little more noise this year.

PhiDelta,

I thought they may have repeated the VCU rebounding effort, but they didn't even try. I guess some lessons are never learned. It's also hard to beat 34 free throws.

Half court YMCA team isn't 6-3 in the A-10. They are a well coached team and crapped the bed in the second half. We had the chance to win, just couldn't execute or hit free throws and easy shots

Yes, Physician you are still a moron. As am I, as are 90% of us on this board. We need Matt Smith to give us some education.

Not that it had an effect on the outcome necessarily, though we were on the edge of foul trouble nearly the whole game, I was really bothered by the phantom foul call when the La Salle player slipped and was shown to not even be touched at all. Yet a foul was called nonetheless. Normally I'm not screaming at my tv that much about that, but in a game where we were walking the tight rope with fouls, to have one that was so undeserved didn't sit well with me in the moment.

Because of the foul issues, that really forced Mooney into subbing more often than he would normally I think. Regardless this game was lost because we never truly found a rhythm. Credit La Salle for making us uncomfortable. And in that way it felt like when we play GW, where if we win we have to win ugly.

A few key plays, in retrospect, cost us the game. SDJ's mistake at the end of the first half that resulted in a three for Lasalle. ANO's telegraphed pass that resulted in a fast-break layup late in the game when we had cut it to 5 or 6. That bucket extended Lasalle's one second-half run. And I will throw in Kendall missing 3 FTs, just because that doesn't happen often and shouldn't.

If even one of those things doesn't happen -- despite how badly we played for a big chunk of that game -- we probably win. I think that's what makes this team so maddening. All we need to do is limit our terrible mistakes to 12 a game instead of 13, or something like that, and we'd probably have about 5 road wins this year. But we seem hellbent on making ONE too many mistakes every time.

This post was edited on 2/6 11:08 AM by urmite

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
A few key plays, in retrospect, cost us the game. SDJ's mistake at the end of the first half that resulted in a three for Lasalle. ANO's telegraphed pass that resulted in a fast-break layup late in the game when we had cut it to 5 or 6. That bucket extended Lasalle's one second-half run. And I will throw in Kendall missing 3 FTs, just because that doesn't happen often and shouldn't.

If even one of those things doesn't happen -- despite how badly we played for a big chunk of that game -- we probably win. I think that's what makes this team so maddening. All we need to do is limit our terrible mistakes to 12 a game instead of 13, or something like that, and we'd probably have about 5 road wins this year. But we seem hellbent on making ONE too many mistakes every time.
+!

Originally posted by mcspider:
Not that it had an effect on the outcome necessarily, though we were on the edge of foul trouble nearly the whole game, I was really bothered by the phantom foul call when the La Salle player slipped and was shown to not even be touched at all. Yet a foul was called nonetheless. Normally I'm not screaming at my tv that much about that, but in a game where we were walking the tight rope with fouls, to have one that was so undeserved didn't sit well with me in the moment.

Because of the foul issues, that really forced Mooney into subbing more often than he would normally I think. Regardless this game was lost because we never truly found a rhythm. Credit La Salle for making us uncomfortable. And in that way it felt like when we play GW, where if we win we have to win ugly.
At one point in the first half I hope the foul situation may actually help. Anthony got rest that he normally wouldn't so I thought he might be fresh enough to pull it out at the end.

Posters here are quick to point fingers at players thinking a play caused the lost...maybe so but imo if it's not significanty in closing second half those first half plays are simply misfortunes of the game. There too many of those game plays to chose from. Every player did something wrong earlier in game. It's how the game closes out is how you determine players worth. Also throw coaches worth by measuring in game adjustment and closing strategies. Imo opinion the crucial moments of the game was after the five that was on the floor when we cut the lead to one LaSalle was out of sink we came back then CM makes wholesale substitution. Then LaSalle pushes lead back to 11 makes no sense to not reward the five to has momentum to further continue to run. Actually have sympathy for those players who get yanked after playing good just because coach plays not to lose.

This post was edited on 2/6 11:53 AM by NewURfan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT