ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason games?

Serious question: maybe he didn’t handle the ball very often?
probably not. I'm just saying he's not likely to get pulled by Mooney for mistakes. he doesn't turn the ball over.

he's certainly not a primary ball handler. similar to Bigelow, neither is a facilitator. but he had to touch the ball a few times in 26 mpg.

Can’t hype a nextbestclass unless they are playing serious minutes and producing. KA, KA0, Geriot, Gilly, Golden, Buckingham, Sherod…they all played good minutes and produced.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Can’t hype a nextbestclass unless they are playing serious minutes and producing. KA, KA0, Geriot, Gilly, Golden, Buckingham, Sherod…they all played good minutes and produced.
I wonder if the current portal situation hurts our overall development now. if the portal was as active back then and transfers didn't have to sit, we probably would have filled some holes with 1 and 2 year transfers like we do now.

freshmen may never get the opportunities they used to get.

Yep, I honestly wonder about why teams at our level would spend all the time and resources required to recruit high school kids the way we historically have, when the likelihood is that those who develop into something will want to move on to a higher level of play. I'd really be more inclined to shift a lot of time and effort to identifying and then recruiting players at the lower D1 levels who have proven they can play.

I realize we need to do both, but I wouldn't spend nearly as much time chasing HS kids.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
The portal/NIL have obviously changed things like that, but I'm still waiting for the extra COVID year to wash through to see what the status quo is really going to be. Things have been crazy with all the extra years floating around.
just one more year of that, I believe.

speaking of the extra year - any word yet on whether or not Joe Basmile at VCU got approved for his 4th school in 4 years? I know it was initially denied, and they were appealing. And with the recent injury to one of their main transfers, if he is not allowed to suit up - could be a tough start for VCU this year.

Reactions: spiderman
speaking of the extra year - any word yet on whether or not Joe Basmile at VCU got approved for his 4th school in 4 years? I know it was initially denied, and they were appealing. And with the recent injury to one of their main transfers, if he is not allowed to suit up - could be a tough start for VCU this year.
VCU is still bitching and moaning about it as of last week.

I'll be very surprised if Bamisile wins this one. the NCAA let the rules slide for a while which is what gave these kids the belief that those rules could be skirted. and that's a shame. but the NCAA has ruled in multiple cases already this year. each case is different so you never know, but they never intended to let kids transfer multiple times without sitting. 4 schools in 4 years is a bit much.

I agree - its a bit much. But Joe seems to be using a "mental health" clause or something of the sort, which may be true, or may just be a way around the rules - but it puts the NCAA in a tough spot.

I agree - its a bit much. But Joe seems to be using a "mental health" clause or something of the sort, which may be true, or may just be a way around the rules - but it puts the NCAA in a tough spot.
well they already ruled against him I believe. this is the appeal now.

In Bamisile case he got a waiver last year. His seems like a straightforward denial, if not it's just open season on waivers again. & it feels like most of the waivers push the mental health. It becomes the boy who cried wolf. While there can be some very unique cases it's best to just have a hard rule or u get everyone and their families working the loopholes.

Raeuqan Battle at WVU just got denied. U got the WV Attorney General involved and threatening. Like wtf, go away and do something more important. Now we have the govt pressure, same as UNC. I get the NCAA has become a punching bag but orgs have the right for rules & eligibility enforcement.

What is so strange is all the coaches and ADs who were begging for this rule. Until the first time it affects them.

Well you'd be surprised what can be hyped. But that's the point. If things go bad what else r they going to do. I'm not saying it's going to happen now. But later in the season...and presumably they would be playing more by then. usually its not Mooney's MO to play frosh over vets if they r worse or equal. But this could be the exception. I don't want to see it myself because it means the season wasn't very good. Even if they r just getting increased time at that point I'd think we'd hear something along those lines....the future is so bright, this frosh class can be really special etc. I disagree that they need the production of those other guys to do so. If u can hype up Peter McNeely vs. Mike Tyson u can hype up anything in sports.

My sources say expect Bamisiile to lose his appeal but stay in school and play next year.
will he have another year after that?
20-21: VaTech was the Covid year that doesn't count.
1) 21-22: GW
2) 22-23: OK
23-24: possible transfer redshirt
3) 24-25: VCU
4) 25-26: VCU

That was FIU. Presumably we're scrimmaging Tech today.

Perhaps we lost the decisive 5th quarter to FIU.

Good thing we're not playing Florida this seas...oh, wait.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Y'all gotta listen to the football radio broadcasts ;-) They said 4 quarters, VA Tech won 82-64. UR won the 1st quarter 26-14 (which implies we lost the last 3 quarters 68-38). We had three in double figures: King 22 pts, Hunt 15 pts, and Bailey with 11 pts. Hope we do much better in the real games. Go Spiders!

Y'all gotta listen to the football radio broadcasts ;-) They said 4 quarters, VA Tech won 82-64. UR won the 1st quarter 26-14 (which implies we lost the last 3 quarters 68-38). We had three in double figures: King 22 pts, Hunt 15 pts, and Bailey with 11 pts. Hope we do much better in the real games. Go Spiders!
it was actually close going into 4th

Great, nice to hear that! I was happy to hear Dji was in double figures. I'm hopeful he has a solid season and that he's more aggressive on offense this year, while being able to limit turnovers – I think he can really shine this year. I feel like the team had become more forward-oriented recently and this year we may be going back to being more guard-oriented, which seemed more our style in the past. Although I'm a bit worried about our 3pt %, hopefully we can find open guys to elevate that. I think we'll need to be better on defense this year.

I don’t read a lot into scrimmage scores & transitive property in sports (Florida/FIU) but even if u read a little into these results it’s still bad.
We are said to have won both scrimmages last season, how did the year turn out?

Have been told FIU was playing hack a man the whole game even the refs expressed frustration.

We are said to have won both scrimmages last season, how did the year turn out?

Have been told FIU was playing hack a man the whole game even the refs expressed frustration.

Supposedly maybe possibly won. But that’s why I said I don’t read a lot into them but u can always take something, obv we r playing them for a reason.

FIU coached by former vcu assistant we knew exactly what style was coming. Maybe we couldn’t handle it or couldn’t hit free throws? I assume they were called if u know that level of detail w the refs.

Reactions: urfan1
Does that count in the moral scrimmage victory category:)? As others have said, I don't put much stock in scrimmages but losing to Tech by nearly 20 and to an FIU team that got housed by Florida and you take that with our consistent bottom tier preseason ranking in the A-10, it does not paint a rosy picture as we get ready to kick off the season.

Does that count in the moral scrimmage victory category:)? As others have said, I don't put much stock in scrimmages but losing to Tech by nearly 20 and to an FIU team that got housed by Florida and you take that with our consistent bottom tier preseason ranking in the A-10, it does not paint a rosy picture as we get ready to kick off the season.
You guys can count it in whatever category you like. My response was to the “implies 68-38” losing quarters, that’s all. Scrimmages don’t mean a lot but show coaches some things obviously.

All true about the meaning of scrimmages. The W/L clearly is not THE most important thing.

However, I disagree with anyone who says that scrimmages mean nothing. First of all they give you a chance to assess how your team compares to others. Secondly, I refuse to believe that any coach worth their salt doesn't care whether they win or lose. If coaches are indifferent about RESULTS, then that is part of the problem.

When you get thumped early, and your 2 best new players are already spouting Mooney speak after a loss, I am concerned that the season could be rougher than I anticipated.

If the team rolls out a second, below .500 season in a row, the Coach must go! No excuses when you are in year 19.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT