ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason games?

btw ... did you all see the St John's vs DII Pace exhibition results?
talk about playing a preseason game to win. Pace had just 6 guys play more than 8 minutes, and only 8 guys total hit the floor. only 9 guys played for St John's.

Pace celebrated like they were going to the dance!
MBB_CELE_SJU.png

JOC on the Tech scrimmage with a focus on Dji providing a spark off the bench.

Rebounding was even, but the Spiders shot only 5-for-22 from deep. Virginia Tech's bench outscored Richmond's bench 41–13....so, that means reserves not named Dji scored 2 points?

Soulis stood out in the extra fifth quarter for younger guys, with 9 points and 3 assists.

Bailey, a 6-foot-5 wing, stood out Saturday in UR’s scrimmage against Virginia Tech at the Robins Center, coming off the bench to score 11 points with two steals in 23 minutes. Bailey converted five of seven shots, all inside the 3-point arc.

Among reserves, Bailey played the most minutes behind starting guards Jordan King and DeLonnie Hunt, forwards Isaiah Bigelow and Aidan Noyes, and center Neil Quinn. As was the case in the Spiders’ first scrimmage, against Florida International in Washington, D.C., the 6-0 transfer guards led the scoring.

King, who played two seasons at Siena before two at East Tennessee State, scored 22 on eight-of-14 shooting (two 3s). Hunt, who started three years at Wagner, scored 15 with four assists. Richmond and Virginia Tech played four quarters of 15 minutes each, with the Spiders winning two (first and third), the Hokies winning two, and Virginia Tech winning overall 82-64.

Last edited:
Quick takeaways from the article
  • Love to see Dji getting recognition - he can be very important to this team with his slashing and on-ball defensive potential.
  • We shot 5-22 from 3PT...that seems to affirm the concerns around permiter shooting that some of us have. Meanwhile, VT shoots 12-20 from 3...bad combination.
  • Love seeing King with an 8-14 shooting day. His biggest knock from previous schools was his streakiness as a shooter.
  • Rebounding was even between the teams and we had 10 (!) offensive rebounds. Might just be an outlier/result of a scrimmage, but if this team can make a stride in rebounding after losing Tyler, it would be massive.
  • Great to see Soulis standing out in the 5th quarter playing with other young guys. 9 points and 3 assists in 10 minutes. The development of the 4 freshmen is extremely important for us.

JOC on the Tech scrimmage with a focus on Dji providing a spark off the bench.

Rebounding was even, but the Spiders shot only 5-for-22 from deep. Virginia Tech's bench outscored Richmond's bench 41–13.

Soulis stood out in the fifth quarter for younger guys, with 9 points and 3 assists.

Wait...wasn't there a poster or two on here that said Dji wasn't that injured and that's the main reason with his court time wasn't injuries? When I mentioned his health and staying healthy I was rebuked by...ahhh never mind he knows more than the family. Anyway, glad Dji had a very solid game and would say he, Jordan and D Lo were the best Saturday. Something to build on and I really like them 3 together.

• maybe Soulis pushes Walz sooner than I expected. heck, maybe he pushes Quinn.
  • we shot poorly from 3 but King was good. would like to see stats from Noyes and Bigelow. somebody missed a lot.
  • if Dji scored 11 off the bench and our bench was outscored 41-13 ... I'm no math major but that leaves 2 other points for our bench. I assume our bench was mostly Dji, Roche, Walz and Harris until that extra 5th quarter.

• maybe Soulis pushes Walz sooner than I expected. heck, maybe he pushes Quinn.
  • we shot poorly from 3 but King was good. would like to see stats from Noyes and Bigelow. somebody missed a lot.
  • if Dji scored 11 off the bench and our bench was outscored 41-13 ... I'm no math major but that leaves 2 other points for our bench. I assume our bench was mostly Dji, Roche, Walz and Harris until that extra 5th quarter.
Dji, Waltz and Roche correct

Reactions: urfan1
Wait...wasn't there a poster or two on here that said Dji wasn't that injured and that's the main reason with his court time wasn't injuries? When I mentioned his health and staying healthy I was rebuked by...ahhh never mind he knows more than the family. Anyway, glad Dji had a very solid game and would say he, Jordan and D Lo were the best Saturday. Something to build on and I really like them 3 together.
Feel better now? I never said Dji wasn't that injured. I asked how could minutes played, when he did lplay, be injury related? When someone plays inconsistent minutes, how can that be injury related....especially when there were plenty of double digit minutes games?

Anyway, glad he played well. I hope we can improve from 3 as a team. If you put out posts like this after a pre season game, does this mean it's okay to put out some criticism after a regular season game? Or, is that still a no no? EL said some things about Harris that seemed critical, but acceptable, so are just certain players off limits? If I feel the same about Dji that EL does about Harris, why shouldn't I be able to say that?

Last edited:
there must have been a LOT of turnovers. Especially Tech but us too. Or something wrong with the stats reported. VT didn't get up too many shots. Not for a game with 15 min quarters. That's a game and a half.

We r the gang who couldn't shoot straight. No wonder ppl r calling for more Roche time. Nobody else can hit the 3 with consistency. Mooney always says we have good shooters but it hasn't shown itself in years. With our style & our recruiting it needs to.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Wait, wasn't there a poster on here who a few years ago said he could handle any and all criticism when some questioned whether he should be posting on here?

15 minute quarters? running clock?

Yes, JOC reported they played 15 min quarters, it was in the article. Nothing about running clock. That's for high school and lower when 1 team is murdering the other or you have a time constraint on the facility. & a 15 minute running clock would go much faster than a 10 minute quarter with normal stoppage so I can't imagine that was in place. not for d1 ball even a scrimmage. Still the stats are weird for 60 mins so maybe there was something different.

Yes, JOC reported they played 15 min quarters, it was in the article. Nothing about running clock. That's for high school and lower when 1 team is murdering the other or you have a time constraint on the facility. & a 15 minute running clock would go much faster than a 10 minute quarter with normal stoppage so I can't imagine that was in place. not for d1 ball even a scrimmage. Still the stats are weird for 60 mins so maybe there was something different.
Yeah, I can't imagine it was a running clock that would make no sense at all, it would actually be less time than a real game. But who knows, maybe Mooney and Hardt had an early reservation at the Tavern, might have been rib night or something.

Yeah, I can't imagine it was a running clock that would make no sense at all, it would actually be less time than a real game. But who knows, maybe Mooney and Hardt had an early reservation at the Tavern, might have been rib night or something.

A small, private university with the best athletics in the world would never stoop so low, i.e running clock. And I don't rule out rib night either.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
15 minute quarters make no sense whether it's running or not. every men's college scrimmage I've ever heard of plays 2 halves (the same way real games are played), then sometimes an extra quarter for the young guys who didn't play much.

15 minute quarters make no sense whether it's running or not. every men's college scrimmage I've ever heard of plays 2 halves (the same way real games are played), then sometimes an extra quarter for the young guys who didn't play much.
I could see using quarters so you can work on late game situations, but 10 minutes, not 15.

Reactions: Zeeter and urfan1
It's the 1st chance for a lot of these teams with new players to work on things against opponents. You never want to lose, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

Dji 12 Soulis 9

Spider bench total 13

The math works here. Soulis pts were not counted in the 4 quarter game. His came in the separate 10 minute 5th qtr. probably should have found him more time in the 60 minute 4 qtr game considering we got all of 2 pts from the bench besides Dji.

Two scrimmages, but yes a little concerning. Not going to push the panic button but we need him to be a force and hit 3's if he is going to get starter minutes.
I do think we have nice options at that spot with Noyes, Dji and Roche. Tanner too. it might be a time share early, but ideally one plays really well and runs with it. looks like Noyes gets the 1st shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT