ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Yates - 2018 Grad Transfer

I hear you, but those years we were .500 or a lot better than .500, and when we returned a couple of smaller guards, they were both good shooters, so why would he reduce their minutes? I think when you go 12-20, and played a couple of guys 6'0 or less big minutes, and one of them was not a good shooter and the other is a true PG that was going to play a lot, it is fair to think a different lineup might be coming, and the 6'0 guy who was not a good shooter might lose some significant minutes. We'll never know, so no one is right or wrong here.
This most interesting sentiment in this is the notion that CM will change behavior after enduring a relatively dreadful season last year. The prevailing wisdom is that CM doesn’t change his stripes.

He’s of course obligated to change now, and it will be difficult if not impossible to tell if any changes positive or negative are due to personnel changes or to scheme/coaching changes.

It’s of course absurd that we’re even in this position.

This most interesting sentiment in this is the notion that CM will change behavior after enduring a relatively dreadful season last year. The prevailing wisdom is that CM doesn’t change his stripes.

He’s of course obligated to change now, and it will be difficult if not impossible to tell if any changes positive or negative are due to personnel changes or to scheme/coaching changes.

It’s of course absurd that we’re even in this position.
Yes, he's obligated to change personnel since we've lost 40% of our starting lineup. No, he's not obligated to change behavior. Maybe he should change behavior, but old habits die hard. Anybody who has watched his tenure at UR knows that for the most part, Mooney is a coach who is on balance dug in with his system and player rotations. The patterns are there. There have been minimal changes over the years. Even when something or somebody has not worked out that well, there is very little deviation.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Yes, he's obligated to change personnel since we've lost 40% of our starting lineup. No, he's not obligated to change behavior. Maybe he should change behavior, but old habits die hard. Anybody who has watched his tenure at UR knows that for the most part, Mooney is a coach who is on balance dug in with his system and player rotations. The patterns are there. There have been minimal changes over the years. Even when something or somebody has not worked out that well, there is very little deviation.
Guy, you are probably correct saying that Coach Mooney is unlikely to change what he has done over the years. But the current situation may be different and change may be warranted, nay absolutely necessary. It has been years since the Spiders had such an abysmal record. Moreover, the fact of the matter is that he has greatly modified the "Princeton Offense" over the years where at times it is barely recognizable. With the uptick in recruiting and the talent available, I truly believe there will be change and success on the scoreboard will be forthcoming.

Moreover, the fact of the matter is that he has greatly modified the "Princeton Offense" over the years where at times it is barely recognizable.

Yes, CM has modified the PO to the degree that we now have the "PG does a spin move near the 3 point line, do the 'weave' for a bit, and whomever has the ball with 3 seconds left on the shot clock heaves up a prayer" offense. It's been very recognizable to our opponents.

Yes, CM has modified the PO to the degree that we now have the "PG does a spin move near the 3 point line, do the 'weave' for a bit, and whomever has the ball with 3 seconds left on the shot clock heaves up a prayer" offense. It's been very recognizable to our opponents.
kee, have to confess that I really never understood the purpose of the perfunctory pirouette preceding the initiation of the offense. But there is a lot I don't understand about a lot of things.

Last edited:
My recollection is that Kevin Anderson started the "spin move" as a way to get past the first defender when he was being defended at the 3 point line. Then Ced did it, K0 did it, and SDJ did it. Now JG does it. It looks silly and serves no discernible purpose especially when no one is guarding the PG and he does it when no one is near him.

Hey keef...watch it there. No criticism of the weave. We are close to getting a patent on the weave. It will define us foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr;)

Hey keef...watch it there. No criticism of the weave. We are close to getting a patent on the weave. It will define us foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr;)
Thought we stole the weave from the Harlem Globe Trotters? Curly, Meadowlark and Goose.

Reactions: plydogg
“Spiderweave” could define a new line of clothing. Need a patent.

The offense is light years away from where it started. Suggesting it’s the same thing it was in 2007 indicates you haven’t been watching.

As noted, offense isn’t the problem by and large.

If we don't improve defensively, we will rely on our offense to score 80-90 points per game to win, and I believe we are lightyears away from that happening. To bad Paul Westhead died a few years back...

If we don't improve defensively, we will rely on our offense to score 80-90 points per game to win, and I believe we are lightyears away from that happening. To bad Paul Westhead died a few years back...
I don't disagree on the defensive need and I'm not suggesting we are going to average 80+ppg.

You had made the comment above that the PO/offense under Mooney hadn't meaningfully changed in his time here. That's just not accurate. We used to struggle to score 60 points in a game. We now consistently score in the 70s and have done much better in many games over the last 7-8 years, particularly the last 3.

We are still running the absolutely useless weave, and yes we chuck up a lot of 3 seconds left prayers, but the offense is relatively productive, and should continue to improve with better shooters which we haven't had consistently.

T, I agree that defense will be the key the next two years. My fear is that we just got a bit slower and less athletic on defense with the loss of Buck and Khwan. As many have pointed out, we may be a little taller at the 2 and 4 positions. Also many pointed out that our defense was pretty bad with Buck and Khwan, so I guess there is no way to go but up.

Reactions: gospidersgo
K, in agreement that we definitely have played better defense with less athletic guys. I'm sticking with my one shorty or less theory for the time being.

Reactions: SpiderLaw

The spin you talk about is option that reverses ball and is option for long time. Some we used early but not used now is Chin series which I like as change sometimes. I think we have poor execution with drift screen now. I think it is natural for players in avoid what is not natural to them . I also think Sherod has learned how to use his talent to score in Coach offense. Others struggle and force plays that are not there. This I think was big bigdifference last year between King Shooter and Buck.

Actually, if we play the same defenses, in the same proportions, including using man-to-man defense as our "change-of-pace" then I see us being less effective on defense.

If we start now to implement a 2-3 Zone and one or two other new zone variations, then I can see us being stronger on defense.

How many posters see us changing our defense to adapt to our now clearly less athletic line-up? "Adapt or die" is the mantra of winning teams, and coaching staffs, but we have not shown a willingness to adapt in past seasons when it has been clearly called for. I hope that changes real soon, or we will find out exactly how good or bad our coaching staff really is this coming season. Not adapting could certainly expedite the need for some job searches, and there are those on this board who would be pleased by exactly this outcome. If past behavior predicts future behavior well, then we may be watching other teams consistently scoring in the 80s (and occasionally in the 90s, or even over 100) against UR this coming season. Other teams will certainly be eating our lunch, or running us out of the gym, if we try to play much "man" defense. With Buck and Khwan gone, we need to kiss that defense good-bye.

Reactions: spider23
kee, have to confess that I really never understood the purpose of the perfunctory pirouette preceding the initiation of the offense. But there is a lot I don't understand about a lot of things.

Perfunctory pirouettes? Stop the negativity, Ulla!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT