ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Walz - Player Eval

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
What I like
Improvement - Agree with Brooklyn on his YOY improvement. I too was skeptical after his freshman year. Seemed from interviews he was a smart hard working guy that was content to put the work in and wait his turn. And that may be the case. But his play was improved, he was aggressive and for the most part made the most of his minutes.
Toughness, Rebounding - I thought he really provided a physical presence on the court - one that Quinn lacked a bit. Also had a little edginess to his game - and let the other big guys playing against know he was not backing down.
Offense - Yes, there were times that he did not look at the basket, BUT I thought he was much more opportune than Quinn as far as catching the ball and surveying the landscape as opposed to just looking for the next perimeter pass or hand off. He showed some ability to hit 3's though his percentage was not great - I felt like early in the season it was pretty good then lost confidence a bit. I am like some others I don't generally want him looking for the 3 but if left wide open he seems to have the ability. Though not exactly polished with post moves - I did think that again showed great improvement when he got the ball in the post making a decisive move or a quick decision to take what the defense gave him. Also liked his ability to take and make the wide open 15 footer at the foul line, with good form and a normal shot. Not trying to bang on Quinn, but he would look and look and then dribble and do the flip shot. I know metrics hates the mid range - but just like with Cayo, if they are going to leave you wide open from 12-15 that should be a high percentage shot and I think Walz agrees and will take advantage.
Rebounding - solid rebounder, not afraid to use his body and athleticism.
Defense - Good effort, I was going to say he was foul prone - but looking at his stats per 40 minutes - averages 4 fouls per - so not bad for his level of physicality. I think opposing big man knows he will be in for a physical battle going against Walz.
Areas for improvement
Passing - I think sees the court really well and is a willing and able passer, and did have a positive ASS/TO ratio. He does tend to let one bad pass affect his outlook, but overall I think we will see even more ability next season with the experience gained this season.
FT shooting - 54% not good obviously. But only 1 FT attempt per game - which is hard to get any rhythm. So would like to see him use some moves to draw fouls down low, and shoot at a 75% clip. I think he has the form and touch to do so, just needs more attempts and a little more confidence.
Low post moves - Again, I liked his decisiveness and aggression. Would like to see develop a signature move and counter as a go to. This would also tie into getting to the FT line more.
Mentality - First off, overall I like his edge, his aggression, and joy he plays with. He does get a little down or flustered when he makes a mistake and it impacts his next play. Would like to see him clean that up and keep his head in the game if he makes a mistake.
Outlook
I think future is bright for Walz next two seasons. As widely discussed it will be very interesting to see how he is used in tandem with Beagle. I do think Walz has earned trust with Mooney, and has very good experience and minutes last season - which should serve him well running the offense this year. Seems to be a split on the board whether Walz will be starter or back up - I am leaning to starter, but think it will be a pretty even split unless Beagle really outplays him. I want to see Walz take the next step. If he does he can be one of the best big men in the league. I think he has the tools just needs to come in a take control and keep a good mind set all game long.

What I like
Improvement - Agree with Brooklyn on his YOY improvement. I too was skeptical after his freshman year. Seemed from interviews he was a smart hard working guy that was content to put the work in and wait his turn. And that may be the case. But his play was improved, he was aggressive and for the most part made the most of his minutes.
Toughness, Rebounding - I thought he really provided a physical presence on the court - one that Quinn lacked a bit. Also had a little edginess to his game - and let the other big guys playing against know he was not backing down.
Offense - Yes, there were times that he did not look at the basket, BUT I thought he was much more opportune than Quinn as far as catching the ball and surveying the landscape as opposed to just looking for the next perimeter pass or hand off. He showed some ability to hit 3's though his percentage was not great - I felt like early in the season it was pretty good then lost confidence a bit. I am like some others I don't generally want him looking for the 3 but if left wide open he seems to have the ability. Though not exactly polished with post moves - I did think that again showed great improvement when he got the ball in the post making a decisive move or a quick decision to take what the defense gave him. Also liked his ability to take and make the wide open 15 footer at the foul line, with good form and a normal shot. Not trying to bang on Quinn, but he would look and look and then dribble and do the flip shot. I know metrics hates the mid range - but just like with Cayo, if they are going to leave you wide open from 12-15 that should be a high percentage shot and I think Walz agrees and will take advantage.
Defense - Good effort, I was going to say he was foul prone - but looking at his stats per 40 minutes - averages 4 fouls per - so not bad for his level of physicality. I think opposing big man knows he will be in for a physical battle going against Walz.
Areas for improvement
Passing - I think sees the court really well and is a willing and able passer, and did have a positive ASS/TO ratio. He does tend to let one bad pass affect his outlook, but overall I think we will see even more ability next season with the experience gained this season.
FT shooting - 54% not good obviously. But only 1 FT attempt per game - which is hard to get any rhythm. So would like to see him use some moves to draw fouls down low, and shoot at a 75% clip. I think he has the form and touch to do so, just needs more attempts and a little more confidence.
Low post moves - Again, I liked his decisiveness and aggression. Would like to see develop a signature move and counter as a go to. This would also tie into getting to the FT line more.
Mentality - First off, overall I like his edge, his aggression, and joy he plays with. He does get a little down or flustered when he makes a mistake and it impacts his next play. Would like to see him clean that up and keep his head in the game if he makes a mistake.
Outlook
I think future is bright for Walz next two seasons. As widely discussed it will be very interesting to see how he is used in tandem with Beagle. I do think Walz has earned trust with Mooney, and has very good experience and minutes last season - which should serve him well running the offense this year. Seems to be a split on the board whether Walz will be starter or back up - I am leaning to starter, but think it will be a pretty even split unless Beagle really outplays him. I want to see Walz take the next step. If he does he can be one of the best big men in the league. I think he has the tools just needs to come in a take control and keep a good mind set all game long.
Not to keep harping on Walz, because that’s never been my intention, but that’s a pretty big next step, right? To have him going from 11 minutes a game and 2+ points per game to one of the best big men in the league is unreasonable in my opinion and I think it’s ultimately unfair to Walz to expect that and possibly consider it a disappointment if he doesn’t meet those expectations. That kind of jump seems like a few next steps to me.

Reactions: urfan1
Bailey made a huge leap this year, Walz could make one next. Mental part of the game has to be stronger for him for sure. That game where he missed a dunk and then Moon had to take him out bc of it sticks with me.

What I also like is that he's a bit more athletic than many of our centers the last 10 years or so - Quinn, Cline, Golden. Hopefully he uses these advantages and plays with more power and bounce and doesn't settle for fluidity.

Reactions: spider23 and urfan1
Well I hear you PA. If you recall under Tarrant, that was the norm with big men. Couple years learning the ropes then turn em loose. Shields, Wienecki, etc.
Dji did take a big leap this year, but he and Winiecki spent three years learning the ropes, and Shields never averaged more than 8.5 points and 5.3 rebounds during his entire four year career. And we were all surprised by the level of jump that Dji made this year…as we should have been. It was unusual. I wish Walz all the best and hope he becomes an all league player by the end of his career, but I won’t be disappointed if he isn’t that this year.

Last edited:
Dji, Burton, Cayo, Terry Allen, Khwan Fore, Ced all were scoring ~3-4 points in ~10-15 minutes per game early in the careers who scored 10+ when minutes opened up for them.

I think a lot of people here are expecting this same thing out of Tyne, don't know why Walz would not be in this group. I think he needs to make a much smaller jump than Tyne.

What I like
Areas for improvement
Outlook
Mike is a great athlete, who hasn't been playing basketball that long. He has a lot of upside and will get a lot of minutes. With that said, I believe Beagle has the potential to make one of the all A10 conference teams. He is a very strong player and we are fortunate to get him. There is a chance they could both be on the court at the same time.

Well I hear you PA. If you recall under Tarrant, that was the norm with big men. Couple years learning the ropes then turn em loose. Shields, Wienecki, etc.
But in Mooney System he will be expected to fill a particular role. That’s just Mooney. Waltz seems to have a different skill set than some of the predecessors. Would seem to best utilize him for his strength and strengths, and there is a difference. But I have doubts that will ever happen as we are a team that uses centers as the point of running the offense through and for passing as opposed to physicality and banging.

I think you may be underrating his passing. If anything, he passed too much maybe, but he was pretty decisive and he zipped it into guys.

Next step for him I think is having confidence to score. Shackles may have been on a bit as the backup 5, but next year he’ll have to score if he expects to be the lead center.

I think you may be underrating his passing. If anything, he passed too much maybe, but he was pretty decisive and he zipped it into guys.

Next step for him I think is having confidence to score. Shackles may have been on a bit as the backup 5, but next year he’ll have to score if he expects to be the lead center.
TBone I think confidence is the optimum word, as Mike needs to let the last play go and move on. He showed disappointment too easily after a bad play and would get down on himself. I like his toughness and his shooting has improved from close, mid and long range.

TBone I think confidence is the optimum word, as Mike needs to let the last play go and move on. He showed disappointment too easily after a bad play and would get down on himself. I like his toughness and his shooting has improved from close, mid and long range.
I’m mostly saying confidence to try to score. Yes he hung his head at times but I don’t see that as a confidence issue, just that he was disappointed with himself.

Reactions: gcarter52
I’m mostly saying confidence to try to score. Yes he hung his head at times but I don’t see that as a confidence issue, just that he was disappointed with himself.
King was disappointed he missed the shot but had the confidence to keep shooting. Not sure Mike had last year next play confidence.

Walz has a lot of positives. He is physical, can block shots, is a good passer, and does a good job rebounding in traffic down low. He showed some inside moves last year, and will need to show more to become an impact scorer for us. I look forward to him taking it to the basket and not settling for the floaters Quinn settled for. Whether he starts or not, I see him in line for good minutes, and I see him making a positive impact when out there.

Mike is a great athlete, who hasn't been playing basketball that long. He has a lot of upside and will get a lot of minutes. With that said, I believe Beagle has the potential to make one of the all A10 conference teams. He is a very strong player and we are fortunate to get him. There is a chance they could both be on the court at the same time.
I don't know if they will be on the court at the same time. The only time Mooney went with a 2 center strategy was Grace and Quinn and that didn't work well. I haven't seen Beagle play, but I know Walz is not much of an offensive threat away from the basket, so if Beagle has similar skill set, I can't see them co-existing together. If Beagle can play the 4 though, than maybe Mooney tries this.

I do agree that Beagle has the better pedigree and if Walz is indeed his back up, than we are really good shape at the 5 this year.

I think getting Beagle actually benefits Walz because it allows him a chance to prove himself of being an A-10 starter without being thrust in the position of being a starter Day 1.

The only time Mooney went with a 2 center strategy was Grace and Quinn and that didn't work well.

He used it with Golden and Grace down the stretch of A10 tourney and Iowa game. Better example. I don’t know the number of minutes they played together, it probably wasn’t too much, but it was successful at least in small sample then. But I agree it would be predicated on Beagle, or even Soulis, being able to play forward.

He used it with Golden and Grace down the stretch of A10 tourney and Iowa game. Better example. I don’t know the number of minutes they played together, it probably wasn’t too much, but it was successful at least in small sample then. But I agree it would be predicated on Beagle, or even Soulis, being able to play forward.
Good memory. Grace could play both the 4 and 5 which gave us that flexibility. We will have to see if Beagle has a similar ability. Walz is strictly a 5.

I don't know if they will be on the court at the same time. The only time Mooney went with a 2 center strategy was Grace and Quinn and that didn't work well. I haven't seen Beagle play, but I know Walz is not much of an offensive threat away from the basket, so if Beagle has similar skill set, I can't see them co-existing together. If Beagle can play the 4 though, than maybe Mooney tries this.

I do agree that Beagle has the better pedigree and if Walz is indeed his back up, than we are really good shape at the 5 this year.

I think getting Beagle actually benefits Walz because it allows him a chance to prove himself of being an A-10 starter without being thrust in the position of being a starter Day 1.
Mooney specifically said that they may play together. Possibly your insights are better than his, but I think it is a low probability.

Grace could shoot 3's. neither of these guys is a shooter.
could play both together a few minutes if playing 3 guards though, like B Arits, Hunt and GW3. would need that size behind them.

Mooney specifically said that they may play together. Possibly your insights are better than his, but I think it is a low probability.
Well then, Mooney sees Beagle as being able to play the 4. Also, Mooney says lots of stuff in the offseason that don't bear out once we get into the season. I would expect him to say every guy is going to meaningful time right now.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Well then, Mooney sees Beagle as being able to play the 4. Also, Mooney says lots of stuff in the offseason that don't bear out once we get into the season. I would expect him to say every guy is going to meaningful time right now.
He never mentioned what position Beagle could play. I disagree with your second point. Chris is a very honest guy. With that said, the quality of a player can change dramatically during the off season.

Walz does look jacked.
GOHbbIwXsAUjKyQ

Nothing personal or negative, but, I think Walz is overvalued on this board. I don't see him starting or playing large minutes. I think he is a tough guy backup, maybe slight minutes jump over last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT