ADVERTISEMENT

Malcolm Bernard in Elite 8

, further relaxing the admissions standards for basketball is about the only way we will be able to recruit on a level playing field with the rest of the A10 until at least 2021.
right. with exceptions.
like Khwan, Nick, DMB, Grant, Gilyard, etc ...
:rolleyes:

Point taken and that certainly needs to be a major consideration when evaluating Mooney. On the other side of that coin was his recruitment of Diekvoss, Smithen, Kovien, Singleton, Jesse. None of those guys were even close to A-10 caliber players, heck some of them are just average D-2 players. Those were all huge recruiting misses that set our program back for several years. That has to be part of his story and legacy here. There are several guys coming in next year that come with the same question marks as some of those players as well.
97, have to also consider that possibly some of those guys were taken after losing out on battles with ad
right. with exceptions.
:rolleyes:
You are missing the point. Based on the conversation that occurred with the coach at the party, Mooney is obviously not happy with admissions lack of flexibility with potential recruits. Yes, the guys you mentioned are all excellent recruits, but it does seem we fishing in a smaller pond than the majority of the A10. You need more than 4 or 5 A10 level recruits and in many cases we see fairly obvious examples of an over restrictive policy keeping us 1 or 2 players short of the talent level to reach the NCAA. I have been critical of Mooney on here, but I really think guys like Bernard and Godwin could have been solid contributors to campus and the team. Mooney apparently thinks the same. Wainwright was eons ago, that is pitiful if they are still factoring in his recruits in current decision making.

97, have to also consider that possibly some of those guys were taken after losing out on battles with ad

You are missing the point. Based on the conversation that occurred with the coach at the party, Mooney is obviously not happy with admissions lack of flexibility with potential recruits. Yes, the guys you mentioned are all excellent recruits, but it does seem we fishing in a smaller pond than the majority of the A10. You need more than 4 or 5 A10 level recruits and in many cases we see fairly obvious examples of an over restrictive policy keeping us 1 or 2 players short of the talent level to reach the NCAA. I have been critical of Mooney on here, but I really think guys like Bernard and Godwin could have been solid contributors to campus and the team. Mooney apparently thinks the same. Wainwright was eons ago, that is pitiful if they are still factoring in his recruits in current decision making.

Agreed. I think a lot of the aforementioned players (recruiting misses) were taken after losing out battles with the powers that be.

I think too often the case with us, the exception being this past year's recruiting class of Buckingham, Sherod, and Golden, is that we HOPE our recruits turn into A10 level caliber players instead of EXPECTING them to perform at this level as was clearly the case with this year. Academics seems to be a major player in this assumption.

I know personally, I never expected Anderson, Harper, Cline (transfer, I know), and Anthony to ever perform at the level that they did. Hell, Harper didn't exceed expectations until his senior year.

I think Fore is another example of an under-the-radar recruit who we hoped would perform and seems to be well on his way to being a high level A10 player.

Reactions: SpiderK
right. with exceptions.

We did well with Khwan and Buck, but if we didn't get Buck, we may not have gotten Nick. As far as I am concerned, Grant and Gilyard are essentially unproven, neither has any A10 game experience, so the jury is still out.

If we want to compete with other A10 programs, that's what we need to do.

of course Mooney wants more leeway. he's graded on wins and losses and gets crucified for not doing more, and he knows he could with guys like Bernard, Godwin and others. but he can't have them. I know it makes his job tougher. too bad. he's landed the big time guys I mentioned, and maybe has some more big time talent in the freshman class. it can be done. now he has to keep doing it.

Let's not forget Luke P., and so far, I can count the minutes that PF has played for our team on two hands. Kwesi was also a barely serviceable player who got minimal floor time at Northeastern, and his talent or lack thereof should have been a lot more obvious to CM than some kid coming out of HS.

At the end of the day, further relaxing the admissions standards for basketball is about the only way we will be able to recruit on a level playing field with the rest of the A10 until at least 2021.
I'm not going to hold Luke and Paul against Mooney. They were big men (and both had lots of offers, Luke had a number of P5 offers) and big men are more hit and miss.

Kwesi though is the perhaps the perfect example though. He sucked at Northeastern and the only reason he was signed is so that Mooney did not look completely inept by leaving 2 rosters spots open.

I could not disagree more in this instance. This is not a partial qualifier, not a kid from some "prep school" no one has ever heard of, not a kid with a checkered past. This is a player who has already graduated from college with a 2.4 GPA - not stellar but a C+ average. Obviously no one on this board, or at the University of Richmond overall, has ever graduated with a 2.4 GPA but I've heard it does happen. Especially when working a full time job. I think we can debate the merits of graduate transfers in general, but drawing an arbitrary line in the sand for a player who has graduated already and wants to spend a year at Richmond is crazy.

Wasn't specific in my post, but was more speaking about frosh entering school at UR. I see your point drawing that line and I would be more lenient towards evaluating a grad transfer who already has accomplished getting his degree and would only be at UR for a year.

I still consider Luke to be a major recruiting miss, I just wish in retrospect he had taken another offer. He was a waste of a scholarship for the time he was here. PF perhaps gets a bit more sympathy because of his injuries, but we settled for PF after Grygory Goloman committed to UCLA. Can't say I blame Goloman for his choice, either. UCLA a better program, and perhaps a better academic environment as well.

I still consider Luke to be a major recruiting miss, I just wish in retrospect he had taken another offer. He was a waste of a scholarship for the time he was here. PF perhaps gets a bit more sympathy because of his injuries, but we settled for PF after Grygory Goloman committed to UCLA. Can't say I blame Goloman for his choice, either. UCLA a better program, and perhaps a better academic environment as well.
We missed on him much like a number of other decent schools would have missed on him. Maybe Paul will pan out better but yes, losing a guy to UCLA isn't shocking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT