ADVERTISEMENT

Malcolm Bernard in Elite 8

X coach Mack is now in the process of writing a big thank you note to our admissions for rejecting Bernard.
He asks that X be kept in the loop for future student-athletes which apply to UR and are rejected,particularly
graduate school applicants.Can you believe his moxie.

Reactions: UR Fan 2
I think admission man makes more losses. I think for transfer who has already been learning in college and not to flunk show the idea of the student. This is a very big problem wwe can see. Mr Malcolm was wanting to be here but was not allowed. I think this is very stupid thing. This is the biggest fight for Coach and I think we sould make more more noise about this admissions man. I think we never know these names to get answers. Hide behind the desk and give no answers or solution but just saying no is big fu to Coach i think. SO how is this to be changed my friends who know people?

Alumni can make noise to let them know what is important to them. For me as an older alum I stay connected via UR sports. Our flagship sport is men's basketball. It seems like admissions in asking us to compete with more rigorous standards than all but the Ivy league perhaps.

I would sacrifice a 1/2 point in GPA as a standard for between 5-13 kids if it means better basketball players are admitted.

Absolutely it's time. Kid seems all class too. Wonder if there is some wiggle room for personality/work ethic after an interview or background review (I'm sure there's not but there should be). Could work both ways too, as I think some of our older borderline kids would have flunked that part of the process but most of the recent ones wouldn't. Granted that's largely due to the coaches doing the recruiting. Xavier isn't a bad school. Sure he would have been fine here.

For those concerned, there are plenty of email addresses/addresses to reach admissions for their latest gaffe.

Reactions: gcarter52
Fire the admissions person that did not let Malcolm, and many others in. The key I think is that it seems that they are denying seemingly good kids with good work ethics. I understand standing firm on a kid who has a history of being a screw up, but otherwise we need some more leeway.

so you know his scores and grades?
For a grad transfer, I really don't care what they are as long as he's eligible. Would the university's academic reputation have come crashing down if he'd been sitting in on some human resource management classes this year? It's not like this is a four-year deal where we have to help the kid get through to a BA/BS.

For a grad transfer, I really don't care what they are as long as he's eligible. Would the university's academic reputation have come crashing down if he'd been sitting in on some human resource management classes this year? It's not like this is a four-year deal where we have to help the kid get through to a BA/BS.
Exactly, the kid had already graduated from an accredited university, how bad could he be?

Reactions: urfan1
+1, I remember VCU and a lot of other A10 schools reached out to him after he got denied. He turned them down cause he didn't want to play against Mooney. If that was me I probably would have gone to VCU.
You saying you have no class 32? Lol kidding.

ok, but posts calling for the firing of an administrator without knowing the facts are ridiculous.
Whatever, lets get some new people in admissions. Keeping guys out that Mooney and staff feel are a good fit for our team and school is ridiculous. We act like we are Yale, but I bet they have less stringent standards for basketball admissions.

Reactions: SpiderHoops32
So we got Kwesi for Bernard? Go figure a singer for a player. Worse decision I
have ever seen made.

We didn't really have a lot of options at the 11th hour.

I've been saying for years that we need to loosen the academic bit if we are going to play big boy basketball. I hope last year was a wake-up call.

Whatever, lets get some new people in admissions. Keeping guys out that Mooney and staff feel are a good fit for our team and school is ridiculous. We act like we are Yale, but I bet they have less stringent standards for basketball admissions.
no, they don't.

How would you know, Yale has got more top 100 guys in the last 10 years, that I can say. Harvard way more. Not saying academics are an inverse relationship to basketball ability, but unless you can provide me some factual information I will go on believing that admin is holding us back.

Admin held us back on Bernard, no question about that. I've heard he was denied because he was one tenth of a point short on his required GPA. HE GRADUATED ALREADY.

we don't know anything about it and to be criticizing and piling on without info is kind of silly. am glad we have "some" standards and we certainly have wiggle room which the coaches utilize but we are not going to take every warm body. the coaches know the deal and they either work with it or they depart, their choice.

Admin held us back on Bernard, no question about that. I've heard he was denied because he was one tenth of a point short on his required GPA. HE GRADUATED ALREADY.

This would be very troubling.

Thanks Pike, I really have to give Mooney the benefit of the doubt here. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to bring in kids that will give the university a black eye. Yet, from all outward appearances they are not working with him. We could bring in a new coach, but he would have to be much greater than Mooney at strategy, motivation, and recruiting from a much smaller pool than his direct competion. That is asking a lot. This was actually a reason I was against the move to the A10, competing against the URI's and UMass and others for recruits. Still a problem today. And yes Beilein won, but he is a top 15 coach in the land probablyl

Reactions: URPike
Thanks Pike, I really have to give Mooney the benefit of the doubt here. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to bring in kids that will give the university a black eye. l

Correct 100%. Unfortunately his predecessor did not feel the same way and think it permanently soured relations between basketball and admissions. Know it was over a decade ago, but academicians stay at their respective schools longer and tend to have long memories....

AlI know is that there is probably some spoiled brat related to a major donor at this school. Probably partying it up and doing keg stands who otherwise had no shot at getting in here. What value are they adding to the university?

I believe Kweisi was already on board before Bernard was denied by admissions. Could be wrong about that though. Remember we had an extra schollie this year that went to Joe Kirby, I think the plan all along was to bring on 2 grad transfer if we could. Mooney knew we had 2 great seniors and wanted to make a run this year, unfortunately he got screwed over by our admissions.

I'm not sure firing is the answer, it is a policy that needs to be changed. Admissions is just following the rules set before them but I'm sure there are some Ivory Tower folks who are holding the line on this policy. Those people in my mind are hurting the University significantly with high handedness towards academic success being the primary and overriding criteria for achieving excellence.

So, I'll chime in. Had my two year old son's birthday party this past Saturday. Beautiful day. Bunch of two year olds. My wife's friend shows up with their cute little daughter and I am introduced to her husband, none other than, Assistant Coach, Marcus Jenkins. SUPER nice guy! I know there has been so much talk about our coaching staff for many reasons, but man, what a class guy. My wife was giving me a bunch of crap to leave him alone and actually focus on our child's party.

I did pick his brain for a few minutes though. First thing I asked was about Bernard and he absolutely confirmed what we already knew and/or assumed, academics. He said coaching staff was very upset. He also stated that we would have won 4-5 more games with him. Was really interesting to hear his perspective.

We talked about Buckingham - he said the staff knew all along that he was going to be good. What they didn't know was that he was going to be this "great" so soon (his words).

He said they are super high on Gilyard and also extremely excited about Cayo and Stansbury.

I also questioned him about Wesson just to hear his perspective about that. He said they knew Wesson was going to be "great" from day one and start from day one. He talked about how they chartered a jet (all four coaches) for Wesson's senior night game. Clearly they didn't hold back in trying to get him.

Anyways, very interesting conversation and new experience for me and apparently my son had cake and opened presents.

So, I'll chime in. Had my two year old son's birthday party this past Saturday. Beautiful day. Bunch of two year olds. My wife's friend shows up with their cute little daughter and I am introduced to her husband, none other than, Assistant Coach, Marcus Jenkins. SUPER nice guy! I know there has been so much talk about our coaching staff for many reasons, but man, what a class guy. My wife was giving me a bunch of crap to leave him alone and actually focus on our child's party.

I did pick his brain for a few minutes though. First thing I asked was about Bernard and he absolutely confirmed what we already knew and/or assumed, academics. He said coaching staff was very upset. He also stated that we would have won 4-5 more games with him. Was really interesting to hear his perspective.

We talked about Buckingham - he said the staff knew all along that he was going to be good. What they didn't know was that he was going to be this "great" so soon (his words).

He said they are super high on Gilyard and also extremely excited about Cayo and Stansbury.

I also questioned him about Wesson just to hear his perspective about that. He said they knew Wesson was going to be "great" from day one and start from day one. He talked about how they chartered a jet (all four coaches) for Wesson's senior night game. Clearly they didn't hold back in trying to get him.

Anyways, very interesting conversation and new experience for me and apparently my son had cake and opened presents.
love this kind of stuff. thanks, ER.

Jenkins was a key reason we almost got Wesson, for sure. Heard the same thing from folks on the other side last year when it was close. Wesson had every reason to go to OSU and still almost picked us.

Good Stuff ER, sounds like Marcus is a great addition to the staff. Hope we can keep him around for a few years and out on the recruiting trail. The one game I saw in person I loved his interaction with the players on the bench and he was into every play and shouting advice to players. He has a great enthusiasm for the game and program, and I think that goes a long way on the recruiting trail. I vote YES for an extension for Marcus :D

Great insights ER. On Bernard, I wonder what our season would have looked like with him. I think we might have won a couple more in the OOC but would Buck and Sherod have developed as much as they did, with a guy like Bernard taking minutes from them.

It sucked that admissions screwed us and I will spite them for a while over that decision, but long term, I think it was a benefit for Buck and Sherod in their development as players.

I wonder if admissions realized the bump in admissions and highly qualified candidates we would get from making an NCAA run. Someone is having a really tough time seeing the forest through the trees.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yes, from what I recall applications go through the roof when you go to an NCAA, at least for schools like us that are not regular dancers. I'm sure SF has some quick numbers that will prove or disprove.

While I'm extending Jenkins, I want to go ahead and give SpiderER the Star of the Day on the Spidernation message board. Good job, now give yourself a cookie or a couple of brews tonight. Great to hear the excitement about Cayo, Solly and Gilyard - seems in line with the expectations on this board.

I really think trading Brunt for Jenkins was a huge upgrade. Hopefully Brunt comes back and recruits for VCU soon, now that Rhoades is there.

I believe Kweisi was already on board before Bernard was denied by admissions. Could be wrong about that though. Remember we had an extra schollie this year that went to Joe Kirby, I think the plan all along was to bring on 2 grad transfer if we could. Mooney knew we had 2 great seniors and wanted to make a run this year, unfortunately he got screwed over by our admissions.

Correct. Bernard announced in late April that he was headed to UR. Kwesi announced in early June.

Things were clearly still in flux with Bernard at that time, but he didn't officially open things back up until early July, so it certainly looks like we were hoping we'd have both of them.

would be very surprised if that were the actual reason. don't pretend to know what happened here but would also suggest that CM would have a much better relationship, much better reputation, than ole jer, with admissions.

ER, you found what I've found on a number of occasions that Marcus is a class act and great guy. The same can be said about Kim Lewis and Rob Jones. Chris Mooney is a class guy and that's just the kind of people he hires. Now that the assistants have time to build relationships, we are seeing an upbeat in recruiting. The future of Spider hoops is bright.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT