ADVERTISEMENT

Legends Classic, Barclays Center

Win tonight would be huge, because all likelihood - that means we get a game with Auburn.
But in reality - we just need to win 1 of these 2 games to stay in the hunt. Losing both is the only thing that really hurts UR chances at a possible NCAA bid.

Agree with 2011 about seeing how well the offense performs against a good dicipline defense. Also how well Mooney's defense handles a patient offensive scheme. Will the man defense eventually break down?

I actually think we need to beat Wisconsin and Auburn to have a good shot at an at-large later on. After these two games, we don't play anyone who would really move the needle. Charleston would be nice, but if they don't win the autobid, it's a meaningless win to the committee. South Alabama maybe, but same thing. Alabama and Boston College, meh. They're not too great. And considering how far off the radar we've been for awhile, we need to beat big-name, good teams who are also going to the tournament.

Besides that, we're likely to lose a few OOC games, too. So we need to counter them with two really high-quality wins.

These two days are our chance to do that.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
I’d like to see (In hindsight) our top 5 upsets of the last 8 seasons per Kenpom, compared to tonight.
Where is 2011?

Off the top of my head. Cal was a Top 15 team when we beat them in 2015. Florida was ranked when we beat them. Beating Missouri and Mississippi State at Padre Island (both were really good that year). We beat Illinois (who was ranked as well) I believe our Sweet 16 year.

But most of those wins are from a decade ago, its been a while since we've had a big OOC win, we are overdue.

I actually think we need to beat Wisconsin and Auburn to have a good shot at an at-large later on. After these two games, we don't play anyone who would really move the needle. Charleston would be nice, but if they don't win the autobid, it's a meaningless win to the committee. South Alabama maybe, but same thing. Alabama and Boston College, meh. They're not too great. And considering how far off the radar we've been for awhile, we need to beat big-name, good teams who are also going to the tournament.

Besides that, we're likely to lose a few OOC games, too. So we need to counter them with two really high-quality wins.

These two days are our chance to do that.
I agree Eight - our best chances at a bid are winning these two games. I just don't think if we win 1 and lose 1 it takes us out totally. It makes it difficult for sure - and we would surely need to win out or close to the rest of the OOC.

Win tonight would be huge, because all likelihood - that means we get a game with Auburn.
But in reality - we just need to win 1 of these 2 games to stay in the hunt. Losing both is the only thing that really hurts UR chances at a possible NCAA bid.
Agree, but lets get the W tonight and tomorrow will so much less stressful for all parties.

Reactions: urfan1
Off the top of my head. Cal was a Top 15 team when we beat them in 2015. Florida was ranked when we beat them. Beating Missouri and Mississippi State at Padre Island (both were really good that year). We beat Illinois (who was ranked as well) I believe our Sweet 16 year.

But most of those wins are from a decade ago, its been a while since we've had a big OOC win, we are overdue.
Illinois? Do you mean Purdue?

I am going to guess:
Cal neutral 2015-2016

VCU home 2012-2013

Away:
St Joe 2011-2012
VCU 2014-2015
GW 2015-2016
Bama 2016-2017
Davidson 2017-2018

Last edited:

you nailed it 97 and you could go back to Wainwright, Beilein and Tarrant and see the same pattern...that's how we earned the "Giant Killer" rep...

then according to our PR folks we outgrew that rep...alas, I yearn for the ole days...

winning tonight would be a good first step back towards earning back the "giant killers" rep...ditto tomorrow night...

I can't wait to see what happens...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Illinois? Do you mean Purdue?

I am going to guess:
Cal neutral 2015-2016

VCU home 2012-2013

Away:
St Joe 2011-2012
VCU 2014-2015
GW 2015-2016
Bama 2016-2017
Davidson 2017-2018
Illinois beat us in 2011-12 in Cancun, but we did beat Purdue the previous year.

You will notice my list are mostly not big names and in the A-10.

But I think if the games we won were played again those are the ones in which we would be the biggest underdog.

Another thing to consider of why tonight is big. This team is still getting its confidence and numerous monkeys off their back. Finally, broke through on opening night this year. And then beat a BCS opponent in a tight game. Wiped the floor with two inferior opponents. This team is not used to this because the last 2 years they have not done this.

They are playing with some confidence now, but all those wins were at home. A big victory away from the Robins Center tonight, I think would be huge for our confidence continuing to build and perhaps this team starts to believe they can really be special.

Likewise, a loss tonight, and they could be right back there thinking "well, here we go again". Just a big big opportunity tonight. A win tonight could really springboard us for the rest of the OOC.

Going back to Beilein days - the big OOC wins for his time (and remember CAA team with the exception of 1 year in A10 before he left) was UVA, Miss. St. and UMASS.
Wainwright - Stanford, Colorado, Kansas, Seton Hall, Butler

I think Beilein had a tougher time scheduling coming mainly from CAA days, and I think he was more of a strategic scheduler. Wainwright benefited from the A10, and also we all know he was "play anyone, anywhere" type of scheduler. Boom or bust type strategy.

I know we make a lot of fun of the Lunardi partnership, but in reality - won't it take 2-3 years for that to payoff? Most schedules are pretty much booked at least 2 years in advance because of the home and home deals. Then you throw in the OOC tourney you play in - I would expect in any given year you are only filling a handful of games.

I know we make a lot of fun of the Lunardi partnership, but in reality - won't it take 2-3 years for that to payoff? Most schedules are pretty much booked at least 2 years in advance because of the home and home deals. Then you throw in the OOC tourney you play in - I would expect in any given year you are only filling a handful of games.
I was under the impression that the only games booked "in advance" were the Legends Classic and ODU. Vanderbilt, BC, and Charleston are new agreements. Hampton might be a H&H.

Hey guys, badger fan interloper here to try and fill in some of the knowledge gaps about UW.

First off, we had an all-America player in Ethan Happ that graduated. He was a big man who led the team in scoring, rebounds, steals, and assists. So, yeah, it's weird without him.

The positives about that, though, are that Happ was a sub-50% FT shooter (and he went to the line a lot - "Hack-a-Happ" was a thing), he couldn't/didn't shoot from outside the paint, and defenses could key on him. The last couple of games, the Badgers have had 6 players in double figure scoring and the FT shooting is over 80% so far. Everyone on the floor at all times is capable of both posting up and hitting a 3. So, different.

You may hear the announcers mention Micah Potter - he's a big who transferred from Ohio St. last year, but cannot play until 2nd semester. Without Potter, the Badgers are a bit thin in terms of serviceable front court players, and thus susceptible to foul trouble. Reuvers is the one true big in the rotation right now. If he gets in foul trouble, UW goes fairly small. He's also probably the player most likely to garner all-conference consideration on the team - he's good.

The rest of the players are mostly just kinda average who have specific things they do well. I'll only mention Brad Davison because he turned his ankle in the last game, and we'll see if he's good to go - he's the team leader, just a tough guy who'll be sprawled on the floor multiple times per game.

We do play man defense, always, and have for a quarter century. I wonder if the teams you've played have zoned you at all? Just curious.

Everyone should zone us at all times, as our coach typically has no answer for it. We may have enough talent this year to overcome his lack of teaching, however.

Everyone should zone us at all times, as our coach typically has no answer for it. We may have enough talent this year to overcome his lack of teaching, however.
oh my. come on, Eight.
Badger, teams have to man us ... so you're prepared well. teams can't stay in a zone long against us. we pass well and hit shots.
our problems are on the other side of the court.

Reactions: nathanw19
Welp, I have had a flare up of plantar fasciitis, so I am out this evening. Walking around Brooklyn with cold cement beneath my feet doesn't sound appealing at all, given the holidays coming up, and quite frankly, how much it actually hurts. So, I will be watching from the comfort of my couch, and hopefully tomorrow being able to go to the second game.

32, cheer on for old Richmond on my behalf!

Reactions: nathanw19
Hey guys, badger fan interloper here to try and fill in some of the knowledge gaps about UW.

First off, we had an all-America player in Ethan Happ that graduated. He was a big man who led the team in scoring, rebounds, steals, and assists. So, yeah, it's weird without him.

The positives about that, though, are that Happ was a sub-50% FT shooter (and he went to the line a lot - "Hack-a-Happ" was a thing), he couldn't/didn't shoot from outside the paint, and defenses could key on him. The last couple of games, the Badgers have had 6 players in double figure scoring and the FT shooting is over 80% so far. Everyone on the floor at all times is capable of both posting up and hitting a 3. So, different.

You may hear the announcers mention Micah Potter - he's a big who transferred from Ohio St. last year, but cannot play until 2nd semester. Without Potter, the Badgers are a bit thin in terms of serviceable front court players, and thus susceptible to foul trouble. Reuvers is the one true big in the rotation right now. If he gets in foul trouble, UW goes fairly small. He's also probably the player most likely to garner all-conference consideration on the team - he's good.

The rest of the players are mostly just kinda average who have specific things they do well. I'll only mention Brad Davison because he turned his ankle in the last game, and we'll see if he's good to go - he's the team leader, just a tough guy who'll be sprawled on the floor multiple times per game.

We do play man defense, always, and have for a quarter century. I wonder if the teams you've played have zoned you at all? Just curious.
We have 3 guys who can all make it seem like the hoop is an ocean from deep. So yes, man definitely instead of zone.

As Spiderman mentioned, we have issues on defense. 2 of the 3 I mentioned are vertically challenged (gilyard and Francis). While they are complete pests to a ball handler, teams can take advantage of them in the half court (gilyard will still get 3-4 steals tonight though, just accept it). The third (Sherrod) is coming off an acl surgery, and while he has regained his shot, he’s not great moving laterally defensively (and really wasn’t pre-surgery).

As bigs go, offensively Golden is a problem for you guys. He finishes well, and is a great passer at the high post (and is 6’10”). Cayo is a slasher, and developing a shot. Defensively, Golden has been inconsistent at best (better recently), and Cayo is probably our best post defender.

Overall, I think the consensus around here is if our shooters are on, we’re going to be a real tough out for you guys (and pretty much anyone). But we’ve got to be shooting well, cause we’re not going to grind out games defensively.

Should be an exciting game. Go Spiders!!

Reactions: KWeaver
Welp, I have had a flare up of plantar fasciitis, so I am out this evening. Walking around Brooklyn with cold cement beneath my feet doesn't sound appealing at all, given the holidays coming up, and quite frankly, how much it actually hurts. So, I will be watching from the comfort of my couch, and hopefully tomorrow being able to go to the second game.

I recommend a La-Z-Boy with a cupholder for a Bud. It will do wonders for your feet.

Hope you feel better and Happy Thanksgiving!

I think the team is confident and knows they can be special.
it's people on this board that think "well, here we go again" every time an opponent makes 2 baskets in a row.
Well to be fair, that’s what it’s been like the last two seasons. Longer if you look at some of the horrible ways we’ve lost since 2011. I don’t think that has anything to do with player confidence though but it’s understandably impacted the spider pride psyche.

Reactions: KWeaver
Certainly the impact multiplies in the out years but every season we have a bunch of open spots so there’s room to influence the resume right away.

Auburn really given it 2 NM, was hoping for a competitive game...scrubs in yet?

Ideal roster rotation tonight.Everyone who got on floor contributed to W.
Burton was terrific.Big confidence game for him.He played Big.Francis in another zone and just plain tough.
Spider man D tired Badgers from 1/2 way in 2nd half.They were befuddled by intensity of our D.Their #35 inside tired where Golden had plenty in tank.Tagger 3 by Gilyard with 2:30 remaining.The Koureissi and Grace subbing for Golden was made at exactly the right time and combined they gave Grant a 13 minute break.They played exceptionally well during their time on the floor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT