ADVERTISEMENT

Francis and Cayo reuniting in Montréal

VT is right, coaches can't improve anything. Guys are just going to be what they are forever. No one has ever improved because of coaching. Case closed!
Wow..so, now what I am saying is coaches can't improve anything just because I make a point that every team out there will have some bad FT shooters? Whatever.

So, I guess coaches should just make QBs more accurate, right? Or wild throwing baseball pitchers should just be coached to have more control? Seems so easy, right? Funny no one wants to answer my question about why every team will have some bad FT shooters. Do they all just never get coached??

I'm agreeing with you! Coaches can't be blamed for players who don't improve. No coaches are capable of improving players. Players just are what they are, and we should accept it and move on. Recruit only players who are already good at everything, and this becomes a non-issue.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
UVA shot 70.3% from the line last year, 239th in the country. Vander Plas shot 50.9%....geez, I thought Bennett was a good coach.

My understanding is they tried to fix it and were denied, presumably by Nate.

Maybe you bench a guy if he refuses to listen?
Cayo did some great things on the floor for us. but if he changed his form his super senior year and refused correction, then he was proven wrong.

UVA shot 70.3% from the line last year, 239th in the country. Vander Plas shot 50.9%....geez, I thought Bennett was a good coach.
He sucks. They're basically eliminated as a heavy favorite in the first round every year except once.

Then, why does pretty much every team have a mix of great FT shooters, good FT shooters, and bad FT shooters? Do the bad ones just not get coached?

And, yes, reading it again, you pretty much said what I posted with your "As to FTs, yes" comment. Just like this latest post. You think bad FT shooters should be coached better. So, I guess we have 350+ bad coaches out there because every team will have some bad FT shooters.
I think it is incumbent on coaches to teach and drill good shooting form. If the process is good, I live with results. If the process is bad, I am frustrated with the process and preparation, which I consider to be both coaching and player practice.

I know you try to leave a little piece of yourself to die on every metaphorical hill on this board, but this seems like a weird one.

Wow..so, now what I am saying is coaches can't improve anything just because I make a point that every team out there will have some bad FT shooters? Whatever.

So, I guess coaches should just make QBs more accurate, right? Or wild throwing baseball pitchers should just be coached to have more control? Seems so easy, right? Funny no one wants to answer my question about why every team will have some bad FT shooters. Do they all just never get coached??
What are you even talking about? Pitching coaches teach pitching form literally every day. QB coaches teach throwing form every day. For the express purpose of making the athletes more accurate. I would 100% support and love if we hired a guy on our staff tomorrow whose job title was “shooting coach” and whose sole job is to ensure good shooting form.

I honestly can’t figure out your argument. What I think I am reading from you is that some guys just aren’t that good, and that happens on every team, so we shouldn’t bother trying to fix it.

Reactions: Zeeter and plydogg
I believe he is blaming the players for not being good enough. And I agree. Do better, players! These coaches have seven-figure mortgages, and you are threatening their livelihood with your terrible form!

• Haha
I believe he is blaming the players for not being good enough. And I agree. Do better, players! These coaches have seven-figure mortgages, and you are threatening their livelihood with your terrible form!
No, no, no. Mortgages are safe. Coach for eternity is safe as buying LT CD’s for your portfolio.

Why did Rick Barry shoot underhand and he was a prolific scorer. Hal Greer was great jump shooter and
did same from foul line at times. Regardless sport, coaches have responsibility of “teaching” players to help them
be better players. Signed,Sealed and Delivered!

What are you even talking about? Pitching coaches teach pitching form literally every day. QB coaches teach throwing form every day. For the express purpose of making the athletes more accurate. I would 100% support and love if we hired a guy on our staff tomorrow whose job title was “shooting coach” and whose sole job is to ensure good shooting form.

I honestly can’t figure out your argument. What I think I am reading from you is that some guys just aren’t that good, and that happens on every team, so we shouldn’t bother trying to fix it.
Nope. All I am saying is it is stupid to blame bad FT shooting on coaching. Nothing more, nothing less. And, I also would call it stupid to blame poor accuracy from a QB and a pitcher on coaching. Yes, coaches work with these guys all the time, but it doesn't guarantee success and doesn't mean every QB and pitcher who was coached will be accurate. Which is my point here. And, still no answer from anyone on why every team will have some bad FT shooters. Is every coach out there a bad coach?

And, who says we didn't try to fix Nate's FT shooting? I think it is common knowledge that we did try and did succeed at times, right? Seems like another familiar thread on here where it's convenient to say there was no coaching done when Nate did well at the line, but bad coaching when he did poorly.

Last edited:
Then, why does pretty much every team have a mix of great FT shooters, good FT shooters, and bad FT shooters? Do the bad ones just not get coached?

And, yes, reading it again, you pretty much said what I posted with your "As to FTs, yes" comment. Just like this latest post. You think bad FT shooters should be coached better. So, I guess we have 350+ bad coaches out there because every team will have some bad FT shooters.
Once again trying to put your spin on my words, even great coaching will not make a poor player great, but good coaching can make MOST players better. That includes their shooting. Like EL said if coaches cannot help players get better schools sure waste a TON of money for no reason.

Reactions: gospidersgo
And, still no answer from anyone on why every team will have some bad FT shooters. Is every coach out there a bad coach?
Not every player will be skilled in every facet of ;the game, see Shaq. Injuries, lack of skill, stress management, focus, just for a few reasons some players may be bad FT shooters. No, not every coach is a bad coach, to borrow a phrase, a good coach helps a player be the best they can be.

Once again trying to put your spin on my words, even great coaching will not make a poor player great, but good coaching can make MOST players better. That includes their shooting. Like EL said if coaches cannot help players get better schools sure waste a TON of money for no reason.
Not spinning anything. I am talking FTs, which was the obvious debate here. Never said anything about coaches not making players better.

Cayo is a strange case. people worked a ton with Shaq. it was priority #1 as the only hole in his game. all you have to do is shoot over 60% from the line to stop the hack-a-Shaq. but it couldn't be done. either he physically couldn't repeat the right motion consistently or he stubbornly wouldn't take direction. but there wasn't much volitility in his percentage.

I don't know who helped Nathan become a good foul shooter. I'm guessing someone of the staff but who knows. it took 2 years, but he was very solid for the next 2. that kind of improvement is unusual. and then it fell apart in his super-senior year. why he changed his form back to something that didn't work, we'll never know. why he stuck with it despite bad returns, I can't imagine. I'd be begging someone on the staff to help me fix it if I started missing half my FTs.

Cayo with 28 and the isolation target score winner for the Alliance. 12-of-17 shooting including 2-for-4 from deep.

Blake has been out for about 10 days with a lower body injury of some sort and was the team's leading scorer at the time he went down.

I’m so befuddled by Nate shooting threes. I mean, how did this change come about?

Umm, just a thought…coaching? Golden rebounds in g league, a little different as I believe he knew how to rebound but at UR was not part of scheme. Again, coaching?

Reactions: SpiderK and whampas
Don’t want to things to get blown too far out of proportion, as I obviously mostly post when he has big games. On the season so far (13 games), he’s shooting 32.4% from deep on just under 3 attempts per game.

Certainly not a terrible percentage for a bigger guy, but he’s also not Steph Curry out there. He is 6-for-11 over the past three games though, so maybe he really is finding his stroke.

Reactions: urfan1
Montreal had a couple of games this week, both losses to drop to 6–9 on the season.

On Wednesday, Nate had a rough shooting night, just 2-for-11 from the field for 7 points with 7 boards, a couple of blocks, and a steal.

He sure came back with a vengeance last night though, playing all 40 minutes and dropping 28 points on 11-for-16 including 4-for-4 from deep.

He's up to 37% shooting from deep on the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT