ADVERTISEMENT

Francis and Cayo reuniting in Montréal

Montreal is off to a 2–0 start, with the former Spiders playing big roles. Blake dropped 30 points in the opener and 24 in game two, while Cayo went for 10 and 10 in the first and 21 and 8 in the second.

Scarborough won the only game they've played so far, but Grace did not play.

Cayo gets player of the game for the Alliance in a rough loss to Brampton. Blake was the second leading scorer with 15 despite somehow managing to shoot 0-for-10 from two. Overall on the season so far, Blake is the fourth leading scorer in the league at 22.4.

If you watch Cayo’s HS highlights videos you’ll be shocked. He’s shooting 3s and no sign of the poor form he had at UR. Pretty surreal to try to reconcile the player he was at UR with those videos. (I know - he may have gone 10-100 from 3 and all we see are the 10 makes in a highlight video, it’s more about the form and shooting confidence displayed.)

I thought his mid-range form was fine. it was just the foul shooting form that got wonky for a while. then it was great. and then someone messed with it again.

he did shoot 80% from the line in 19-20 and 72% in 20-21!
was a mess from the line in 21-22 though.

Reactions: urfan1
Cayo's FT shooting was such a mystery. Came to us with an ugly form and was terrible his freshman year and then worked on his form and had a good sophomore year and great junior year at the line. Only to revert back to terrible form his senior year.

Never could understand how that happened.

This one thing is probably the single most enraging thing -- to me -- over the last 6-7 years with this program. His free throw form, which was demonstrably and quantitatively fixed (and there was an article about in the RTD about Rob Jones helping him fix it), was suddenly back to the "hitch and fire" form for his last year, and he was shooting around 50% for most of the year. And it was permitted to continue the whole year long. That was so, so baffling and enraging to me.

It's like the perspective is: shooting form is personal, so we just want guys to do what's comfortable for them. NO! There's good and bad form, and just as you would correct someone for hedging a screen incorrectly or closing out on a three point shooter incorrectly, you should fix bad shooting form. Deion Taylor, Trey Davis, Cayo all come to mind.

(OK, maybe there's three things that enrage me... hedging, close-outs, and Cayo's FT form)

Cayo's FT shooting was such a mystery. Came to us with an ugly form and was terrible his freshman year and then worked on his form and had a good sophomore year and great junior year at the line. Only to revert back to terrible form his senior year.

Never could understand how that happened.
He had a family member who reworked his form before senior year. Terrible decision.

• Wow
Reactions: gospidersgo
He had a family member who reworked his form before senior year. Terrible decision.
how does the coaching staff not get ahead of something like that?
8legs,

I totally agree. Just baffling.

We’ve had a handful of players over the years with bad ft technique, and it seems that the technique was not improved by coaching. Not sure how much the staff addresses this or not, but ft’s are just that. Leaving points off the scoreboard due to bad form is a real red flag. In some cases, games are lost due to bad ft’s.

8legs,

We’ve had a handful of players over the years with bad ft technique, and it seems that the technique was not improved by coaching. Not sure how much the staff addresses this or not, but ft’s are just that. Leaving points off the scoreboard due to bad form is a real red flag. In some cases, games are lost due to bad ft’s.
You know I agree. We have lost many games where we could have salted it away with made free throws. Our guys are back peddling already when they release their knuckle ball brick.

8legs,

We shot 74.5% from the line last year, 70th in the country. In 2020, we shot 77.6%, 12th in the country. In 2021, we were 102nd in the country, so 3 of the past 4 seasons, we were way above average shooting FTs, and we get this post from you? If it were as easy as just correcting form, wouldn't every team shoot 80+% from the line with no bad FT shooters on their team? The things we hear on here about coaching.....unreal.

I mean...

We were 12th in the country in 2020. Cayo shot 70-97 for 72.2% with form that didn't have a hitch in it.

We were 102nd in the country in 2021 with most of the same cast of characters, a drop of NINETY spots, or a full quarter of D1 college basketball. Cayo shot 46-99 for 46.5% with form that had a hitch in it.

I'll never be accused of someone on here that is in the #FMM and bashing Mooney at every turn, but this one seems pretty cut-and-dried. It should have been coached better.

Reactions: plydogg
Cayo alone dropped our ranking in 2021.

his FT improvement from his first 2 years to his junior and senior years was downright remarkable. I assume credit for that goes to the coaching staff, right?

if he goes off with an uncle or someone before his super senior year and makes a mess of it, not sure you can blame the staff for that. yes, they needed to fix it. I hope they tried to get it back where it was. if not, it's on them. but they may have tried without success.

Reactions: VT4700
I mean...

We were 12th in the country in 2020. Cayo shot 70-97 for 72.2% with form that didn't have a hitch in it.

We were 102nd in the country in 2021 with most of the same cast of characters, a drop of NINETY spots, or a full quarter of D1 college basketball. Cayo shot 46-99 for 46.5% with form that had a hitch in it.

I'll never be accused of someone on here that is in the #FMM and bashing Mooney at every turn, but this one seems pretty cut-and-dried. It should have been coached better.
Shaq had a 52.7 career FT%. DeAndre Jordan 47.5%. Should they have just been coached better???

As to FTs, yes.
So, shooting is just coaching? Then, why can't everyone shoot like Steph? UCONN just won the title and shot 76.1% from the line, 34th in the country. They had 3 starters and 2 other rotation guys all shoot above 80%, but also had a starter shoot 64.6% and 2 other rotation guys shoot 51.7% and 51.4%. So, I guess those 3 guys just weren't coached enough?

Last edited:
We shot 74.5% from the line last year, 70th in the country. In 2020, we shot 77.6%, 12th in the country. In 2021, we were 102nd in the country, so 3 of the past 4 seasons, we were way above average shooting FTs, and we get this post from you? If it were as easy as just correcting form, wouldn't every team shoot 80+% from the line with no bad FT shooters on their team? The things we hear on here about coaching.....unreal.
Over the years is not 2020 and 2021. Snapshots in time are not reflections of anything but isolated periods to justify an argument to the contrary.

Cayo alone dropped our ranking in 2021.

his FT improvement from his first 2 years to his junior and senior years was downright remarkable. I assume credit for that goes to the coaching staff, right?

if he goes off with an uncle or someone before his super senior year and makes a mess of it, not sure you can blame the staff for that. yes, they needed to fix it. I hope they tried to get it back where it was. if not, it's on them. but they may have tried without success.
My understanding is they tried to fix it and were denied, presumably by Nate.

Maybe you bench a guy if he refuses to listen?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Over the years is not 2020 and 2021. Snapshots in time are not reflections of anything but isolated periods to justify an argument to the contrary.
Oh, okay. So we decide to coach them some years, and do well, but then we decide to just not coach them certain other years. Interesting.

So, shooting is just coaching? Then, why can't everyone shoot like Steph? UCONN just won the title and shot 76.1% from the line, 34th in the country. They had 3 starters and 2 other rotation guys all shoot above 80%, but also had a starter shoot 64.6% and 2 other rotation guys shoot 51.7% and 51.4%. So, I guess those 3 guys just weren't coached enough?
Even though he is the head coach, nothing is CM's fault. Things are going great. Haven't you heard we went 24-7 in 2019? What else do you want? Give your donation, buy your tickets, and lower your expectations. Again, we went 24-7 4 years ago!

Never said that, you are reading what you want to make your point. Some players just shoot better than others, but I do believe most players can improve their percentage of making the shot with good form and lots of practice, Good coaching makes that happen.

Even though he is the head coach, nothing is CM's fault. Things are going great. Haven't you heard we went 24-7 in 2019? What else do you want? Give your donation, buy your tickets, and lower your expectations. Again, we went 24-7 4 years ago!
Don't think that is what I said, but whatever.

Never said that, you are reading what you want to make your point. Some players just shoot better than others, but I do believe most players can improve their percentage of making the shot with good form and lots of practice, Good coaching makes that happen.
Then, why does pretty much every team have a mix of great FT shooters, good FT shooters, and bad FT shooters? Do the bad ones just not get coached?

And, yes, reading it again, you pretty much said what I posted with your "As to FTs, yes" comment. Just like this latest post. You think bad FT shooters should be coached better. So, I guess we have 350+ bad coaches out there because every team will have some bad FT shooters.

VT is right, coaches can't improve anything. Guys are just going to be what they are forever. No one has ever improved because of coaching. Therefore, we don't need any coaches. Use that money to build better concession areas in the Robins Center instead. Case closed!

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT