ADVERTISEMENT

Credit Deion

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
I was hesitant to post this - and he's been much maligned- but the way Deion handled being stuffed by Ally Cox and later going up for another dunk and got fouled set the tone for the game.

Last March in Brooklyn, Ally Cox put his shoulder into Zo, Zo laid on the ground and we folded.

Thanks to Jay Demayo and our guys for the hard work in the weight room in the last 10 months.

Thanks for posting this, Mo. Agree 100%. Deion has a bit of an edge that I really like. Moreover, he has gotten POMPED op! What an athlete!

Moliva, can't agree more. Deion played hard the whole time he was in there. Went to the boards hard and defended well. Proud of Mr. Taylor today.

I agree he did not light up the scoreboard but he played very good today

IMO he normally plays better than he is given credit for here. Just some brutal comments on him here over the season. Was John Davis a scorer? Did he contribute to our success during the Tarrant era?

I concur. He and Trey played like men possessed today, especially on the boards. It was awesome to watch. They brought a little swagger too.

No one would mistake me for a Deion Taylor fan, but I thought this was his best game of the season. Let's face it, he will never be a force on offense, but today his defense was very good, and the play that impressed me the most was when he took it to the hoop against Mo Allie Cox in the first half. He went at the basket and didn't back off even though he knew there would be a collision with Mo Allie. That took lots of guts. You won my respect with that move today, Deion. Keep on plugging, young man.

Originally posted by PhiDeltaSpider:
No one would mistake me for a Deion Taylor fan, but I thought this was his best game of the season. Let's face it, he will never be a force on offense, but today his defense was very good, and the play that impressed me the most was when he took it to the hoop against Mo Allie Cox in the first half. He went at the basket and didn't back off even though he knew there would be a collision with Mo Allie. That took lots of guts. You won my respect with that move today, Deion. Keep on plugging, young man.
ESPN must have showed that play oh about a thousand times. But while he got stuffed, it sent a message that we were coming hard. Much to that point, Deion took it at him again a few minutes later and got fouled. This is what we need from Deion. If DT can adjust to a role of a bit of enforcer type player, grabbing hard rebounds, mixing it up inside, and an offensive mindset of just trying to dunk over other people, he can play a valuable role for us.

LOL, I do agree this was one of the best games played by Dieon as a Spider -- keep it up big guy!!

+1 fan. If we can get DT to bring out his inner Kevin Smith and Fran Martel, boy would it be fun to watch. Even if he can just start giving us a couple strong dunks a game, really would energize this team and even better, it silences away crowds.

Also a fine young man, saw both him and TA later that night at the Ring Dance. Those guys are great. They represent UR in a great way.

Actually, DT reminds me a lot of FCM, basically a quiet, hardworking, humble kid who contributes in ways other than scoring. I feel like DT is in about the same place that FCM was as a player at the same time in their careers.

I do recall FCM hitting those huge 3's against Vandy in the NCAA's, and I recall a thundering dunk his senior year at the RC where he actually yelled and got up in the defender's face afterwards, he got a T for that, and Mooney didn't seem to care one bit.

I can see DT developing into a true "enforcer' type ala Maurice Lucas of the Portland Trail Blazers during their NBA championship years in the late 70's.

I was soooooo happy watching DT go at Mo Back Alley Cox. Even though he telegraphs every move he makes, I was thrilled to see the determination and will to go right at him. Hope it is a break out game for him.

This post was edited on 2/2 9:20 PM by SpiderK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT