ADVERTISEMENT

GW Game observations

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Great game, several observations I had.

1. TJ, Deion, TA played really hard interior defense. GW had an immense size advantage. I mean they start a 6'9 guard and Larsen and Cavanaugh are probably two of the strongest guys in the league. We did get beat up the offensive glass, but was really impressed with their defensive effort in the second half and overtime.

2. In the VCU loss, Terry settled for a jumper when he should have tried to drive. With the game on the line, twice, Terry took his man off the dribble and it resulted in easy lay-ups. Also at least 3 of the 5 fouls on Terry were complete BS.

3. Khwan Fore flat won the game for us in the second overtime. Yes, SDJ hit a ton of FT's. But Khwan set the tone by getting a steal on the first possession and converting 2 FT's. He got fouled on the next possession and converted one of 2, grabbed a monster rebound in traffic and delivered the dagger rim rattling dunk. He was just exuding confidence. He knew he could beat their guards at anytime and did.

4. SDJ is just a big time player. I don't know what else to say about him. I don't know where he ranks in Mooney list of great guards, but I am putting him up in Ced territory.

5. Trey hit a big three pointer, no doubt. But look at the rest of his stat line. 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1-4 from the field, 5 personal fouls in 27 minutes. That is a whole lot of empty minutes. Deion did not have an imposing stat line either but he made a number of big plays out their on both ends of the court.

6. I had a couple bad flashbacks with Mooney tendencies that I thought he had gone away from. The offense-defense substitution started in earnest at the 4 minute mark, (didn't work) and having our PG not even attempt to pass the ball with the game on the line in both OT's (worked pretty well last night). Some of the latter was because TA fouled and also due to our recognition that GW was inexplicably using 2 big men to try to trap SDJ up top.

7. The end of game intentional fouling was a complete clusterf*ck. I understand the strategy and am OK with it but our execution of the strategy was just awful. First off, we foul way too early and don't allow enough time off the clock (this is a consistent issue). Secondly, if you are going to do that strategy, someone on our bench has got to recognize that Terry has 4 fouls and either instructs him not to foul OR they take him out of the game. What we did just cannot happen.

Finally, GW's seat are just awful. They are woefully uncomfortable and despite having mid court seats, I basically had to stand the entire time because the sight lines were to severe to fully see the court. Also, there 5500 seat arena was half full at best for an ESPN game and they were 15-4. The atmosphere/seating/sightlines at the Robins Center is night and day better.

Finally, GW's seat are just awful. They are woefully uncomfortable and despite having mid court seats, I basically had to stand the entire time because the sight lines were to severe to fully see the court. Also, there 5500 seat arena was half full at best for an ESPN game and they were 15-4. The atmosphere/seating/sightlines at the Robins Center is night and day better.

The Smith Center is a weird arena that happens to be newer than the Robins Center. The bathrooms are downstairs in the basement. Most of the seats on one side of the arena pull out (much like VCU). As far as attendance, I guess people were still digging out from the snow (2-3 feet up there last weekend). Not sure if Metro was running at full strength yet.

97, the intentional fouling is a cluster #%*+, doesn't seem all the guys are buying into it or on the same page. All that being said, when is the last time some one missed a game tying or winning shot at the buzzer against us? Is our luck that bad?? That shot at the end of regulation was a lucky POS chuck that banked and hit the rim bounced up and in. I have to praise our guys for not throwing in the towel and continuing to play hard. In the overtime our bench guys took over. Marshall rebounding and Fore making things happen all over the floor.

Yes, the shot at the end of the game was pretty darn lucky. To me, if a team makes that shot, you tip your hat to them. That is a very low percentage shot and we did a good job defending without fouling in that situation.

And you are really right. After that shot, GW should have had all of the momentum, but we didn't quit and played some of our best basketball in the OT periods.

1. TJ, Deion, TA played really hard interior defense. GW had an immense size advantage. I mean they start a 6'9 guard and Larsen and Cavanaugh are probably two of the strongest guys in the league. We did get beat up the offensive glass, but was really impressed with their defensive effort in the second half and overtime.

2. In the VCU loss, Terry settled for a jumper when he should have tried to drive. With the game on the line, twice, Terry took his man off the dribble and it resulted in easy lay-ups. Also at least 3 of the 5 fouls on Terry were complete BS.

3. Khwan Fore flat won the game for us in the second overtime. Yes, SDJ hit a ton of FT's. But Khwan set the tone by getting a steal on the first possession and converting 2 FT's. He got fouled on the next possession and converted one of 2, grabbed a monster rebound in traffic and delivered the dagger rim rattling dunk. He was just exuding confidence. He knew he could beat their guards at anytime and did.

4. SDJ is just a big time player. I don't know what else to say about him. I don't know where he ranks in Mooney list of great guards, but I am putting him up in Ced territory.

5. Trey hit a big three pointer, no doubt. But look at the rest of his stat line. 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1-4 from the field, 5 personal fouls in 27 minutes. That is a whole lot of empty minutes. Deion did not have an imposing stat line either but he made a number of big plays out their on both ends of the court.

6. I had a couple bad flashbacks with Mooney tendencies that I thought he had gone away from. The offense-defense substitution started in earnest at the 4 minute mark, (didn't work) and having our PG not even attempt to pass the ball with the game on the line in both OT's (worked pretty well last night). Some of the latter was because TA fouled and also due to our recognition that GW was inexplicably using 2 big men to try to trap SDJ up top.

7. The end of game intentional fouling was a complete clusterf*ck. I understand the strategy and am OK with it but our execution of the strategy was just awful. First off, we foul way too early and don't allow enough time off the clock (this is a consistent issue). Secondly, if you are going to do that strategy, someone on our bench has got to recognize that Terry has 4 fouls and either instructs him not to foul OR they take him out of the game. What we did just cannot happen.

On point 7 CM talked about it at end of game cause Bob Black asked. He had a valid point in that he did not want GW to be fouled go to line for two, make the first and then rebound with their height advantage the missed shot and score and possibly get fouled. CM said Trey wanted to foul and he went with the let him shoot decision. No.3 Jorgenson who scored was only shooting 20% supposedly from 3.

On point 5 Trey did not have the stats line, but he was covering a lot of different people and playing I thought good defense.

I would suggest you listen Lonergan's post game presser and he talks about in the fact that in the first OT with 20 seconds left #3 Jorgenson took the off balance shot that missed. He was instructed to pass the ball off when he started his drive and to not shoot. Lonergan is so many words said that he was not comprehending his instructions and was not the player they wanted shooting the ball. Lonergan did not pass on much praise at all towards the Spiders and to me seemed a little bitter. I say let's do it again in 3 weeks and have TA playing at a higher level.

The Smith Center is a weird arena that happens to be newer than the Robins Center. The bathrooms are downstairs in the basement. Most of the seats on one side of the arena pull out (much like VCU). As far as attendance, I guess people were still digging out from the snow (2-3 feet up there last weekend). Not sure if Metro was running at full strength yet.

Metro is running fine everywhere around DC.GW was playing against a mediocre A-10 team with a mediocre record.That's how the game was perceived by the locals.Hence,a very slight attendance especially since it was televised on the U.

97, the intentional fouling is a cluster #%*+, doesn't seem all the guys are buying into it or on the same page. All that being said, when is the last time some one missed a game tying or winning shot at the buzzer against us? Is our luck that bad?? That shot at the end of regulation was a lucky POS chuck that banked and hit the rim bounced up and in. I have to praise our guys for not throwing in the towel and continuing to play hard. In the overtime our bench guys took over. Marshall rebounding and Fore making things happen all over the floor.
Marshall rebounding and moving quick to help and being aggressive denying shots. He is a better defender than most see.

Metro is running fine everywhere around DC.GW was playing against a mediocre A-10 team with a mediocre record.That's how the game was perceived by the locals.Hence,a very slight attendance especially since it was televised on the U.
I bet it stings

I would agree that Marshall isn't that big a defensive liability. He's definitely more susceptible to getting beat off then dribble when he's on the perimeter but I think he plays ok lower and rebounds pretty well. He'll get pushed by big guys but who doesn't on our team really.

Agreed Tbone. One thing he does that drives me crazy is to swat at the ball, almost always gets called as a foul if he contacts the O player. Sure wish we could break him of this habit.

Agreed Tbone. One thing he does that drives me crazy is to swat at the ball, almost always gets called as a foul if he contacts the O player. Sure wish we could break him of this habit.
Most of these guys are poor defenders because they don't move their feet and are almost always not in good defensive position. Most of them, if they put their hands up at all, do so after the shooter has shot the ball, usually because the defender is playing too far away from the person he is supposed to be guarding. Moving your feet and being in good defensive position are basic fundamentals that can and should be taught when a person first starts playing (at any age). That doesn't mean the skills can't be reinforced by the coaching staff at any level of play.

Reactions: SpiderK
DT does the same thing. Swatting at the shot after the player has already blown by him. Gets called for the foul or misses the block by several inches. DT can jump out of the gym, but his timing is terrible.

Reactions: 72Spider
How many charges have we taken this year? Doesn't seem like we get in good position for these. Geriot was always good for 1-2 a game

Reactions: SpiderK
A lot fewer but expanding the circle has reduced this pretty broadly I believe. I suspect we aren't the only ones.

No charges at all in college basketball this year. Always a blocking call. Rule change? Also, whatever happened to the 3 second call?

Haven't the refs been cracking down on the "floppers" to discourage drawing charges?

Is that why it's so easy to drive the lane? Not only against us but also in every game I watch?
BTW did any of you watch the Eagles special on CNN while monitoring this board. Pretty effing entertaining. The band not the team.

Last edited:
I have seen DT get in good position for taking a charge, get hit right in the chest, and get blown to the ground. What was the call? Always a blocking call. If I were DT (or our coaching staff) I might really wonder if charging fouls are EVER called anymore. Crazy how the refs have changed what i thought was a really good defensive move. Now, if you stand your ground, is there any reward?

I have seen DT get in good position for taking a charge, get hit right in the chest, and get blown to the ground. What was the call? Always a blocking call. If I were DT (or our coaching staff) I might really wonder if charging fouls are EVER called anymore. Crazy how the refs have changed what i thought was a really good defensive move. Now, if you stand your ground, is there any reward?
Maybe a bit extreme, but your point is well taken. The charge/block call has become part of the NCAA effort to increase scoring. There is no doubt that the advantage now goes to the offensive player.

You can still do that but needs to be 3 feet further out. Nearly impossible to not move without driver going around you that far out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT