ADVERTISEMENT

About that Billboard Ad

97, not saying he batted .1000 but it's a very good stretch. you could hit on 13 straight guys and 8 will have to be bench players.

Woj and Goose are definitely good gets. Sal and Grace are more projects but serviceable and improving. the true misses didn't stay long which works out fine.

and what's really important ... none of these classes have less than 2 hits. the recruiting classes from 6-7 years ago had holes which led to 2 awful seasons.

absolutely counting chickens before hatched! whether they pan out or not, Wilson and Weir is a good class, and Crabtree is a good get.

2016: Golden (rs), Sherod (rs), Buckingham (t)
2017: Gilyard, Cayo
2018: Francis (rs), Goose, Woj, Sal, Grace
2019: Burton, Crabtree (rs)
2020: Wilson, Weir

that's a good stretch of recruiting.

That is a very good stretch. No question about it. I don't understand worrying about the "misses". Every program will have misses, or guys that will play very little. All 350+ of them. And, sometimes people are so called misses because they can't beat out a talented player in front of them. Which is a good thing.

That is a very good stretch. No question about it. I don't understand worrying about the "misses". Every program will have misses, or guys that will play very little. All 350+ of them. And, sometimes people are so called misses because they can't beat out a talented player in front of them. Which is a good thing.
Misses and bench capable are different. We’ve had way too many guys who were true misses.

all I care about is getting 2/3 every year. We’re close to that if some of the incoming transfers/recruits pan out.

Reactions: nathanw19
See I dont think players like DT and MW were misses. In the right environment they would have flourished. Mooney is not the right environment.

On the eve of the Atlantic 10 Tournament in Brooklyn, I want to remind each of you, and you know who you are, about how wrong you were to be so viciously critical of Coach Mooney. The venom and vitriol embarrassed the school. Those of you, who were the worst offenders, should be ashamed of yourselves.
As you root for the Richmond Spiders, remember that...
Chris Mooney proved everyone wrong:
"Remember when a billboard went up calling for Chris Mooney’s job? That was one season ago. Now, he has the Spiders finishing 2nd in the conference with a chance to earn an at-large bid in this year’s tournament. And in any other year, Mooney would be taking home A-10 Coach of the Year. Not to mention, the Spiders should be the pre-season pick to win next year’s A-10 as long as no one significant transfers out of the program."
https://www.a10talk.com/10-quick-takeaways-from-an-incredible-season-of-a-10-hoops/

Reactions: plydogg
I was just thinking, on the eve of our first ever A10 tournament as a 2-seed, "You know, we should dwell on 2018-19 some more."

Reactions: KWeaver
Yours is certainly a popular view on this board and I’m glad Coach Mooney seems to have turned things around, but I’m not convinced that the billboard doesn’t deserve some credit. No one embarrassed the school so much as those who buried their heads in the sand and refused to acknowledge that the program/team was performing at at abhorrent level. There is no shame as indefensible as the shame on those who failed to speak out.

I had hoped that the administration would have acted sooner, but when it became apparent that they were rudderless under Gill, it was time for some zealous fan(s) to take the action they deemed most appropriate.

When a flagship program of your alma mater is in danger of sinking, there is no shame in taking actions to right the ship. We were in need of dramatic change. Sometimes dramatic change requires drastic action.
CHRIS MOONEY MADE DRAMATIC CHANGES,
for which he should be congratulated, thanks,
at least in part, to the billboard.

So stop the unfounded criticism of those who cared so much for the future success of the program that they had the courage to take dramatic action. The criticism of the billboard is now becoming more of an embarrassment than the billboard itself. And this becomes even more obvious when the toadies make known their obeisance in a published article on the situation.

So thank the person who was responsible for the billboard in helping Chris Mooney turn the program around and move on.
It’s over. Let it go.

Make no mistake! The billboard was and is the most disgusting act of a Spider fan or fans....ever! It deserves NO credit for anything other than stupidity. And to consider otherwise, is garbage! Those responsible for the billboard should not now or..... ever be allowed into the Robins Center.

Make no mistake! The billboard was and is the most disgusting act of a Spider fan or fans....ever! It deserves NO credit for anything other than stupidity. And to consider otherwise, is garbage! Those responsible for the billboard should not now or..... ever be allowed into the Robins Center.

Could not agree with you more. Imagine how good this team could have been if not for that distraction. If we miss the tournament seems like the billboard will be the reason why. Just food for thought.

In your opinion, what was the correct and appropriate way to voice their displeasure with the state of the Richmond Basketball program?

Eyes on the prize spiders fans...u never do the Gatorade dump on the coach too early.

Revenge tour is still in effect. Mooney got a big ol demon staring right in his face...the A10 tourney and his putrid record in it. Biggest one yet, take care of this burden and it simultaneously lifts the NCAA one. Revenge tour. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.

NCAA or bust.

Eyes on the prize spiders fans...u never do the Gatorade dump on the coach too early.

Revenge tour is still in effect. Mooney got a big ol demon staring right in his face...the A10 tourney and his putrid record in it. Biggest one yet, take care of this burden and it simultaneously lifts the NCAA one. Revenge tour. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.

NCAA or bust.
This. Focus.
We've only made it past this round once in 8 years.
The 12 win team of two years ago made it this far.

Get it done.

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing this up again. I want to personally thank the FMM guys for that billboard. Mooney admitted it motivated him, in fact it has sparked him to a 2nd place finish and a spot on the bubble. Let's go Spiders, FMM, truther nation, Covid-19 guys, lets win this thing!!
now this is some fake news.

Reactions: plydogg
now this is some fake news.

I personally would like to thank the XFL for being created. Mooney never had a 2nd place finish until the XFL started. Thank you Vince McMahon for providing the spark that Coach Mooney needed to get Richmond over the hump.

That sounds about as plausible lol

I personally would like to thank the XFL for being created. Mooney never had a 2nd place finish until the XFL started. Thank you Vince McMahon for providing the spark that Coach Mooney needed to get Richmond over the hump.

That sounds about as plausible lol

Did Mooney credit the XFL like he credited the billboard for motivation? Why do you guys continue to ignore a direct quote from Mooney's own mouth? The billboard was a reaction to the past 8 seasons. To pretend that the bad years never happened is so idiotic that I don't even know how some of you can get through the day. The billboard folks are the most passionate fans and not the sheep who blindly follow. Shame on you fake fans.

Did Mooney credit the XFL like he credited the billboard for motivation? Why do you guys continue to ignore a direct quote from Mooney's own mouth? The billboard was a reaction to the past 8 seasons. To pretend that the bad years never happened is so idiotic that I don't even know how some of you can get through the day. The billboard folks are the most passionate fans and not the sheep who blindly follow. Shame on you fake fans.

That’s pretty harsh Rick. Just because we disagree with you doesn’t make us idiots who can barely get through the day. You can also look at all the quotes from the players saying how disgraceful the billboard was. That certainly seems like a distraction and not a helpful thing. Attacking those who oppose your point of view never helps anybody prove their point. We’re all clearly in disagreement here and my post was obviously in jest. Was just the first thing that came to my mind. I’m disappointed in being called a fake fan but luckily I know where my allegiance lies with the team.

Sarcasm doesn't show up well in our posts and I didn't call you or anyone an idiot, nearly stated that ignoring Mooney's statement was idiotic. I say and do a lot of stupid things, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. Sometimes I have trouble getting through the day (old age). No offense intended Plydogg. Probably shouldn't have quoted you, my angst was more directed at Stonewall' s insulting post.

Sarcasm doesn't show up well in our posts and I didn't call you or anyone an idiot, nearly stated that ignoring Mooney's statement was idiotic. I say and do a lot of stupid things, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. Sometimes I have trouble getting through the day (old age). No offense intended Plydogg. Probably shouldn't have quoted you, my angst was more directed at Stonewall' s insulting post.

I didn’t take it as an insult, no worries there. We all want the same thing at the end of the day and it looks like after a long drought we will finally get it.

Side note - I started my freshman year at Richmond in fall 2012 so I have never seen a tourney appearance as a Spider fan! Very excited for that potentially to happen!

Sarcasm doesn't show up well in our posts and I didn't call you or anyone an idiot, nearly stated that ignoring Mooney's statement was idiotic.
I can't find Mooney's quote but I believe your interpretation (and 23's) and mine are different.
23 says "Mooney admitted it motivated him". I don't believe that's accurate.

It was a direct quote from Mooney in RTD by John O'Connor and has been previously linked on this board.

Reactions: KWeaver

He did not credit the billboard for motivation. He just said it had a positive effect. You can already be very motivated and then still have something affect you positively.

“It ended up having a positive effect. It was only up for a couple of days and there was pressure to take it down and they took it down … We’ve been here a long time and a lot of people were extremely supportive, that felt nice. The players were great. Our best players were the ones who immediately called and texted. We had the (weekly) radio show a few days later and it was packed, all the players came. I think it certainly did turn into something very positive but it was unpleasant.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT