ADVERTISEMENT

About that Billboard Ad

I agree. If I were a coach recruiting against Mooney, I would carry a picture of that billboard around in my pocket.
While I think the billboard ended up having the opposite impact the creators of it intended, I don’t see how it materially hurt the program. Objectively, we had our best season in years and it created a bunch of sympathetic PR for the coach and players. It also gave the AD cover to support a coach who otherwise he would have had to take heat for why he retained him. It also probably helped his recruiting, I’d think any recruit would see the admin backing him in spite of a public fallout as a positive. So not sure where it ended up in fact hurting the program.

Reactions: VT4700
While I think the billboard ended up having the opposite impact the creators of it intended, I don’t see how it materially hurt the program. Objectively, we had our best season in years and it created a bunch of sympathetic PR for the coach and players. It also gave the AD cover to support a coach who otherwise he would have had to take heat for why he retained him. It also probably helped his recruiting, I’d think any recruit would see the admin backing him in spite of a public fallout as a positive. So not sure where it ended up in fact hurting the program.
An 18 year old recruit is going to ignore a billboard put up by the “fans” and pay attention to “see the admin backing him in spite of a public fallout as a positive.“
With all due respect, I think that is pretty naive.

Reactions: plydogg
Ya 18 year old kids see the billboard and that is what they judge the program on. Believe it or not fans actually have a pretty big impact on recruiting. There have been several high school football players who have been on record as saying that Virginia Tech fans Twitter kept them from going to Tech.

An 18 year old recruit is going to ignore a billboard put up by the “fans” and pay attention to “see the admin backing him in spite of a public fallout as a positive.“
Sounds like you are saying the billboard affected recruiting. So, are you not happy with the class of Wilson, Weir, Bailey, and Southall?

Ya 18 year old kids see the billboard and that is what they judge the program on. Believe it or not fans actually have a pretty big impact on recruiting. There have been several high school football players who have been on record as saying that Virginia Tech fans Twitter kept them from going to Tech.
Which players? At the power level, pretty much every team has a ton of fans who do nothing but get on coaches and players and complain about everything. So, why would some VT fans twitter be a deciding factor for a kid? I do think it played a role at VT when Sean Glennon was there, and the VT fans gave him crap whether he played well or not, resulting in Mike Glennon being pissed enough about it to not want to go there.

Tough to say that the billboard did any harm, considering that we’re coming off one of our best seasons, headed for potentially our best ever, and our recruiting seemingly is as good as it’s ever been. If that was the impact, let’s put up 100 more tomorrow! 🤣

Which players? At the power level, pretty much every team has a ton of fans who do nothing but get on coaches and players and complain about everything. So, why would some VT fans twitter be a deciding factor for a kid? I do think it played a role at VT when Sean Glennon was there, and the VT fans gave him crap whether he played well or not, resulting in Mike Glennon being pissed enough about it to not want to go there.
Say what you want but for every player UR just signed there are probably a few more who were scared off by the billboard deal. Coaches absolutely use it against UR in recruiting. Also there were recruits who decided against going to Tech because of Hokie Twitter. Hokie Twitter is pretty toxic and is outdone only by probably Tennessee football Twitter.

But, who? Which UR recruits did not go here because they were bothered by the billboard, and which VT recruits did not go there because of their fans' twitter accounts?

But, who? Which UR recruits did not go here because they were bothered by the billboard, and which VT recruits did not go there because of their fans' twitter accounts?
I’m just speculating on the UR recruits. As far as Tech I’d have to go back and look who it was but it did happen.

I do think it played a role at VT when Sean Glennon was there, and the VT fans gave him crap whether he played well or not, resulting in Mike Glennon being pissed enough about it to not want to go there.
Getting into the weeds here, but Sean Glennon was terrible and wouldn't of started at Richmond or any good CAA program during that time frame. Dude was a stiff.

Reactions: WP02alum and 712_VT
Tough to say that the billboard did any harm, considering that we’re coming off one of our best seasons, headed for potentially our best ever, and our recruiting seemingly is as good as it’s ever been. If that was the impact, let’s put up 100 more tomorrow! 🤣
If that billboard hadn't been put up we would be winning national championships by now!

Sounds like you are saying the billboard affected recruiting. So, are you not happy with the class of Wilson, Weir, Bailey, and Southall?
But who really knows if we missed on someone else. Obviously, this is all just speculation. But I didn’t like the billboard for a number of reasons.
My major reason, if you read Grant’s statement about supporting CM, you can’t help but read between the lines that the players were made to feel guilty that they had put their coach in such a dreadful and embarrassing situation.

So guilty that they went 24-7 last year? Back to the recruiting part of it, Mooney got so much support from our players during this time, it is pretty safe to assume that would be a lot more valuable and telling to recruits than what fans who paid for a billboard might think.

So guilty that they went 24-7 last year? Back to the recruiting part of it, Mooney got so much support from our players during this time, it is pretty safe to assume that would be a lot more valuable and telling to recruits than what fans who paid for a billboard might think.
I can’t wait for this team to ruin your high expectations.

Do you ever plan to contribute on this message board? Or is your sole purpose here just to start fights and troll?
I will contribute to football and I will contribute to basketball when I see the program going in a better direction.

I can’t wait for this team to ruin your high expectations.
Like last year when I was one of the few on here who said we would win more than 20 games and be top 4 A-10? Oh, that's right. They didn't meet my expectations, they exceeded them.

Like last year when I was one of the few on here who said we would win more than 20 games and be top 4 A-10? Oh, that's right. They didn't meet my expectations, they exceeded them.
They won’t exceed anything this year. Looking at the schedule I say 12 and 15

It wasn’t their 24-7 that the billboard went up.

Reactions: plydogg
But who really knows if we missed on someone else. Obviously, this is all just speculation.
me.
I told the story here already. we wanted a kid I know. Mooney and staff followed him and sat at a bunch of his AAU game to show love. would have been a great get and a great fit. we were one of his better offers at the time but some P5 schools were showing some interest. I was flat out told by his father that the staff was working hard but they couldn't seriously consider UR because of the heat on the coach. mentioned the billboard.

kid later got the big offer he was waiting for so I doubt we'd have won anyway, but the billboard clearly hurt us with him. and if it hurt with the only kid I know, then it likely did with others too.

That is crazy. I hope you told the dad that's a strange reason to not consider a school. But, bottom line is this argument is pretty weak because of who we DID sign.

I laugh at VT fans who thought things would be so much better with Fuente than they were with Beamer. VT won 4 ACC titles and 10 or more games 8 straight seasons from 2003-2011, and that was never good enough for many of their fans. Since 2011, they have one 10 win season (Fuente is 1 for 5) and 0 ACC titles.

That is crazy. I hope you told the dad that's a strange reason to not consider a school. But, bottom line is this argument is pretty weak because of who we DID sign.
Is it really that strange? It seems like lots of recruits choose schools based on the coaching staff, and if it looks like the coach won’t be there for 4 years that seems like a big red flag.

I laugh at VT fans who thought things would be so much better with Fuente than they were with Beamer. VT won 4 ACC titles and 10 or more games 8 straight seasons from 2003-2011, and that was never good enough for many of their fans. Since 2011, they have one 10 win season (Fuente is 1 for 5) and 0 ACC titles.
Right I forgot you weren’t actually a Tech fan. Things can be every bit as good as they were with Beamer. Fuente is apparently a dick, has burned bridges with most high school coaches in VA, and doesn’t make any kind of adjustments for the most part. Their offense has to be the easiest to game plan for ever. Get a coach who values in state recruiting and Tech will be back. I don’t expect them to compete with and beat Clemson but overall the ACC isn’t that great of a league and Tech should be competing to be in the league title game every year. Will be very interesting to see who we hire.

Is it really that strange? It seems like lots of recruits choose schools based on the coaching staff, and if it looks like the coach won’t be there for 4 years that seems like a big red flag.
Why would a billboard have anything to do with whether or not a coach will be there? Recruits knew we had back to back bad seasons. They didn't need a billboard to remind them of that. It is laughable how some of you are holding on to this "billboard hurt us" idea.

So glad I logged on to the richmond basketball forum to read about Virginia tech football. Exactly what I was hoping I would find
Sorry ply. Didn't realize an innocent post about another school in the off season would bother you so much. I've seen a lot worse on here, and I believe you have talked about other schools and other sports numerous times on here. But, whatever.

Why would a billboard have anything to do with whether or not a coach will be there? Recruits knew we had back to back bad seasons. They didn't need a billboard to remind them of that. It is laughable how some of you are holding on to this "billboard hurt us" idea.
Seems pretty obvious to me that having enough fans angry enough to put up a billboard calling for a coach to be fired reflects poorly on said coach’s job security.

I’m far from naive, merely offering that the results don’t support a narrative that it materially hurt the program.

I do think it likely hurt recruiting at the time, Sman has at least one objective example of this. But if I’m a recruit contemplating two coaches in roughly similar straits, I’m actually pretty comfortable going to the program where the AD and players came out with a public vote of confidence.

Here, you refer to VT fans and teams as "they."
On HokieHaven, you refer to them as "we."

Not surprising you spend so much time laughing at or mocking the fans of both teams you purportedly support.

Here, you refer to VT fans and teams as "they."
On HokieHaven, you refer to them as "we."

Not surprising you spend so much time laughing at or mocking the fans of both teams you purportedly support.
4700 is a fake Tech fan. I’ll get some real Tech fans together to beat him up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT