ADVERTISEMENT

About that Billboard Ad

I am all over the map on what the implications of the billboard were.
However unless someone is announcing they are the ones putting the billboard back up TODAY, I don't see the point to this discussion at this time...

Reactions: nathanw19
I had no issue with the billboard last year. I didn’t expect it to work in getting rid of Mooney one bit. But I liked it in the sense that it showed our fan base has some life to it! Like it not - truth is out fan base around the A10 has always been known as an older and quieter crowd. So seeing this and it getting some media coverage showed others and the administration that people/fans care about athletics and demand better.

The billboard has nothing to do with this years team success. And UR was not the first place this type of stunt has been pulled off by fans and certainly won’t be the last.

Stonewall another difference here since I lived there, there was a greater groundswell against
the power of the AD(Wellman) and his recruitment of Bidz over other candidates.

Last edited:
I supported the billboard, and I think this season is an anomaly, and not a trend upward.

I want a good program, not a good team once in a while. Mooney is not a program builder.

Reactions: Hanca
I supported the billboard, and I think this season is an anomaly, and not a trend upward.

I want a good program, not a good team once in a while. Mooney is not a program builder.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion....Only time will tell. sometimes things happens...While we have been less than stellar over the last several years, there are other factors that caused us to fall back. We are on the right track. This doesn't have to be an anomaly as you stated but the beginning of some good. While you look at the glass half-empty, I see it has half-full...Go Spiders.... Note: I am not saying that you are wrong!!! Just staring at two opposing views....

Just to clarify, did you contribute funds to pay for the billboard?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion....Only time will tell. sometimes things happens...While we have been less than stellar over the last several years, there are other factors that caused us to fall back. We are on the right track. This doesn't have to be an anomaly as you stated but the beginning of some good. While you look at the glass half-empty, I see it has half-full...Go Spiders.... Note: I am not saying that you are wrong!!! Just staring at two opposing views....

not for nothing, but time has told.

Reactions: GKiller

he's had what looks like 5 straight strong recruiting classes. that's building a program and that's why we're where we are today. this has been a very good season and next year looks good too.

Reactions: VT4700
Since the billboard talk "will not die" let's go to the NCAA tourney 5 years in a row and then have a billboard that says "Thank You Coach Mooney".................until then, why not just give it a rest?...............it's kind of like seeing your elementary school teacher years later and having her say "wow you were a problem" instead of the much better "I remember your great spirit"...................

Reactions: urfan1 and MrTbone
he's had what looks like 5 straight strong recruiting classes. that's building a program and that's why we're where we are today. this has been a very good season and next year looks good too.
I hate to think what this thread will look like if we Beat Davidson, Duquesne, Davidson, Rhode Island, and lose to Dayton, but end up top seed in the NIT...

I hate to think what this thread will look like if we Beat Davidson, Duquesne, Davidson, Rhode Island, and lose to Dayton, but end up top seed in the NIT...
I'd be shocked and I'd blame the committee and the NET formula. but I don't think that scenario is realistic.

Reactions: nathanw19

All we have to do is beat number 3 Dayton in the tournament to eliminate any possibility of that ....but otherwise there are no guarantees of anything.....other than at this point being in the NIT ....but from my limited perspective think it would be a "travesty" for the A-10 to only get one bid to the Dance............

It's unfathomable that the A10 will get only one bid. But we need to make sure that we are playing Dayton in the final.

Reactions: KWeaver
The only A10 tournament that Richmond won, we beat Dayton in the final. As some tournament in Atlantic City...

Never dreamed this thread would have this much life. Getting sucked in yet again. Disclosure - was not a supporter of the billboard, quite the opposite, BUT

Have considered that the billboard may have had the same impact upon the Spiders as did Jay Bilas savagely dissing VCU getting into the 2011 Dance only to see them go on to the Final Four. The Rams certainly were not one of the best four teams in the country, but when you are publicly shamed its natural to want to prove your detractors wrong. Spiders (CM and team) are doing that this season whether we dance or not. Good for them!

5? I think you’re being a little liberal there and counting some chickens before they’re hatched.
Yes it has gotten way better but that was a pretty low bar compared to where we were and we still have a slew of misses in there (most of whom are gone).

Right direction though.

5? I think you’re being a little liberal there and counting some chickens before they’re hatched.
Yes it has gotten way better but that was a pretty low bar compared to where we were and we still have a slew of misses in there (most of whom are gone).

Right direction though.
absolutely counting chickens before hatched! whether they pan out or not, Wilson and Weir is a good class, and Crabtree is a good get.

2016: Golden (rs), Sherod (rs), Buckingham (t)
2017: Gilyard, Cayo
2018: Francis (rs), Goose, Woj, Sal, Grace
2019: Burton, Crabtree (rs)
2020: Wilson, Weir

that's a good stretch of recruiting.

absolutely counting chickens before hatched! whether they pan out or not, Wilson and Weir is a good class, and Crabtree is a good get.

2016: Golden (rs), Sherod (rs), Buckingham (t)
2017: Gilyard, Cayo
2018: Francis (rs), Goose, Woj, Sal, Grace
2019: Burton, Crabtree (rs)
2020: Wilson, Weir

that's a good stretch of recruiting.

You are forgetting Schneider, Verbinski, and AJ Ford in the 2017 class. Three complete misses, which some of us said they were from the moment we signed them, you projected otherwise. So, no offense, I'm not counting those chickens in 2020 before they hatched.

Also, including Sal, Grace, Woj in the 2018 class as good gets. Those guys are bench players and lets see how many of them are still around come next year. I personally think we are going to have some additional slots to fill come Spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT