ADVERTISEMENT

A10 teams in the NCAAs

fan2011

Graduate Assistant
Apr 21, 2014
The A10 got 3 teams in again, even in a very, very down year. This is a very good thing. Here is my guess for the A10 in the tournament:

Bonnies vs UCLA: UCLA -3, 38% chance Bonnies win
Davidson vs UK: Kentucky -7, 26% chance Davidson wins
URI vs Oklahoma: Oklahoma -3, 38% chance URI wins

Odds of advancing far in the tournament are small for the A10 teams this year. I estimate ~50% chance an A10 team will make it to the round of 32.

Last edited:
Oklahoma lost a ton of games down the stretch. I think Rhody takes that one. Davidson? Nah. Bonnies? A shot.

Thinking only URI can win. UCLA size probably will beat Bonny and poor Davidson I think has close to no shot at beating UK who seem to be playing presently at the level of the what their talent suggested to start the season.

But probably did need to beat us...

This is true. There was a very thin line between the A10 being a 1 bid conference and a 3 bid conference. If we had beaten the Bonnies the A10 would have at most 2 bids. Then if URI ends up winning it all the A10 is left with a single bid. Pretty crazy how close that actually came to happening, one of Sherod's shots falls instead of going 1-10 and we could easily have knocked the A10 down to a 1-bid conference.

Bonnie has great guard play. I think they win. It will be interesting to see if Davidson can neutralize UK’s size advantage by hitting a bunch of 3s. McKillop is an excellent coach. I love Rhody to beat Oklahoma. Sooners peaked about 2 months ago and have been bad down the stretch. They should not be in the tournament. Neither should Syracuse.

Reactions: Gallipoli
This is great news for the A10 and all the teams in it. There are a number of factors basketball recruits consider in selecting what school to go to and quality of conference is one of them. Anything that make the A10 stronger is good for U of R. Ultimately, I would like to see us in a better conference one day.

Anyone notice we got a mention?
They took a dig at Barkley that his team was the only Auburn team not to win at least 1 game...

No CBI or CIT for Broad Street CC

After NIT rejected them,here ya go...

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) - The VCU Rams' men's basketball program will not participate in any postseason tournaments this year, per a school press release Sunday evening.

Virginia Commonwealth University Vice President and Director of Athletics Ed McLaughlin had this to say in the announcement, "We have decided to forego postseason this year. We appreciate the opportunities that we were invited to consider for postseason play, which speaks to the strong reputation of VCU Basketball, and we are humbled."

More details on our website here.

Reactions: SpiderK
Great record, but terrible SOS. Only borderline RPI and only two Top 100 wins, both over #87 Marshall. Needed to schedule their OOC more like MTSU and WKU instead of filling up on cupcakes like us.

So that means you didn’t hear that ODU (25-7) didn’t make the NIT?
I just saw the bracket. ODU, GMU, William & Mary and VCU didn’t make it. I guess Davidson would have been in had they lost.

Not an A10 school, but I thought Radford got a decent draw for a potential 16 seed. Winnable first game in a packed house at Dayton. VA Tech in the same pod to cheer them on against Villanova. Not bad.

Smart move by VCU, I think Richmond should adopt the same mantra, I don't care if the team plays in the CBI or anything below the NIT ever again.

Not an A10 school, but I thought Radford got a decent draw for a potential 16 seed. Winnable first game in a packed house at Dayton. VA Tech in the same pod to cheer them on against Villanova. Not bad.
So a game against Derek Kellogg is winnable? ;)

I had better rethink that. He was pretty much unbeatable at UMASS, at least by UR standards. The Highlanders are probably going down!

It is interesting that Kellogg replaced Travis Ford of all people when he bolted for OSU. Now Ford is back in the A10. If he is successful, he will likely get another shot at a P5 job. Doubtful Kellogg will get the same chance.

So a game against Derek Kellogg is winnable? ;)

I must underestimating Davidson. Only 5.5 point dog. Thought young UK too big and will cause foul issues for them but I guess if Wildcats hit their 3s they have a good shot at the upset.

I like Davidson, but Kentucky is a tough match up with the athletes they have. They can run 8 guys out there that can cover the 3 players Davidson has.

Bonnie’s D holding up with Adams cold again.

Sitting here thinking that I’ll gladly cheer for any A10 team to do well in the tournament with the exception of one.

Reactions: plydogg
Bonnie’s D holding up with Adams cold again.

Sitting here thinking that I’ll gladly cheer for any A10 team to do well in the tournament with the exception of one.

You scared me there but redeemed yourself with the exception of one.

I agree with you there. Screw Fordham.

Just kidding ;)

No reason for us to root against any of the A10 that made it this year. The more they win, the more residual income we get. Since we can't earn any ourselves, might as well hope to get some from the other guys.

Always good reason to root against Hurley. Pulling strongly for Davidson and the Bonnies!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT