ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

Will say, I think the portal has basically broken down the walls for who coaches might try to exclude based on relationships, etc.
I see we have reached out to players from both LaSalle and Bonaventure. I feel like transfers within conference were once avoided a bit more (and there were even penalties to sit out longer, which we know don't exist now), and specifically coaches would not raid their friends. Now, it does seem pretty much wide open, dog eat dog type of world.

Forgot that we had contacted Hysier Miller last year when he portaled from Temple, but he ended up returning. Now in the portal again.

Jamie Kaiser also portaled at Maryland today. We recruited him out of high school, but quickly dropped off the radar when he started blowing up.

Forgot that we had contacted Hysier Miller last year when he portaled from Temple, but he ended up returning. Now in the portal again.

Jamie Kaiser also portaled at Maryland today. We recruited him out of high school, but quickly dropped off the radar when he started blowing up.
A friend and classmate of mine from UR lives a few doors down from the Kaiser family and is good friends with them. 🤔

Washington's Nate Calmese is back in the portal. We were one of a long list of suitors last year when he was transferring from Lamar. Generated that long list last year by starring as frosh at Lamar, but aside from a 15-point outing against Arizona he had only a minor role off the bench for the Huskies this year. The grass is not always greener.

Reactions: spider23
Not that we're in on him, but I find it funny that Patrick McCaffery entered the portal. Not that I blame him.

I don't think I'd go near him--too much psychological damage...

Lefty guard out of Wagner...just sayin'. (Spent two years at Monmouth and one at Wagner.)

Reactions: VT4700
26-59 (44.1%) from 3 and 5.1 rebounds a game at 6'4. Works for me.

Is it? Dji played 31 mpg and was 12-38. Hunt played 31 mpg and was 22-57. Tyne shot it more, but was only 21-78. Goose always played a lot of minutes with low 3 point volume. Sign me up for 26-59, especially when considering the volume could go up with us.

Reactions: gcarter52
Is it? Dji played 31 mpg and was 12-38. Hunt played 31 mpg and was 22-57. Tyne shot it more, but was only 21-78. Goose always played a lot of minutes with low 3 point volume. Sign me up for 26-59, especially when considering the volume could go up with us.
well he's certainly trending up. but yeah, I'm a little concerned that his percentage last year isn't a clear indicator he's a shooter. he was a very low percentage shooter the 2 years before in very light volume (4-28).

but maybe he is. and maybe he's a Goose type defender. just don't know.

Hey, if he has some of Hunt's leadership ability, that would be great. Based on winning the conference tournament MVP, he seems to have it - at least in the "proved it on the court" category. I don't think we have anyone on the roster that has done that yet.

Reactions: VT4700
Shooters at percentage and volume needed.

driving lanes were open bc of King’s 3 point threat ability drawing doubles outside.

Caitlin Clark shot 20 threes last night (9-20), kid for Oakland shot 20+ threes vs UK.

Game has trended this was for awhile. The examples above are something of anomalies but you need shooters who can make in big numbers. King was that guy last year. And Roche can be if we follow the Oakland model - that guy never shot 2s and never dribbled. Roche can/should get all those same looks.

is there stated interest in this guy? he's not a grad transfer, and he doesn't have multiple years. He's undergad with 1 year remaining.

I'm not convinced we'll take any of those. Grads or multi years no issues. I'm not peronally against it I just don't see the school going for it.

is there stated interest in this guy? he's not a grad transfer, and he doesn't have multiple years. He's undergad with 1 year remaining.

I'm not convinced we'll take any of those. Grads or multi years no issues. I'm not peronally against it I just don't see the school going for it.
what's the difference between a grad transfer with 1 year left or an undergrad transfer with 1 year left?

There is certainly a difference as far as UR admissions is concerned.

Grad student can be plugged into whatever SPCS program without affecting our metrics. Getting a 1-year undergrad in whose credits may not all transfer is another issue. And they need a certain number of units in residency at UR before they can graduate with a UR degree. I don't know that the number is even doable in one year.

Edit: UR requires 17.5 units in residency for undergrad transfers with at least 2 years at their prior schools. Students usually take 4–5 units per semester.

Last edited:
Grad student can be plugged into whatever SPCS program without affecting our metrics.
What metrics? So we are saying admissions would turn someone down as a transfer based on HS GPA or SAT's??? Not following the issue here. And if that is what you are insinuating, lest we forget the poster on this board who has stated to know PQ has commented that admissions are no longer an issue. And I tend to believe him.

What metrics? So we are saying admissions would turn someone down as a transfer based on HS GPA or SAT's??? Not following the issue here. And if that is what you are insinuating, lest we forget the poster on this board who has stated to know PQ has commented that admissions are no longer an issue. And I tend to believe him.
Graduation rate, primarily. Admissions is going to let in a one-year kid who needs two years worth of classes before he can get his degree? No way that kid is getting his UR diploma.

So what is the issue, we think Allen's credits would not transfer?
The issue is that even if everything transfers, he still has to take 17.5 units at Richmond before they'll give him a diploma. That's two years.

(Up to four credits of study abroad at his previous school could reduce that number, but that would still be at least 3 semesters needed at UR and I doubt most hoops players have study abroad credit.)

SF, are we even listed anywhere calling Tahron or did you just throw him up here to get us all riled up?

OK, like I'm 7: What does a unit equal?

I took 18 credit hours in one semester once. How many units does that equal in today's counting?
One credit is like a standard class. 28 are required for graduation, so 3.5 per semester, which is the minimum to be a full-time student.

UR students take 4–5 units per semester and go over the minimum. Anything more than 5.5 would be an extremely heavy load and requires special approval.

Reactions: spider23
Sorry for bringing this up and letting SF being the bearer of bad news. I'm not against a 1 year undergrad guy but I will believe it when I see it here.

Sorry for bringing this up and letting SF being the bearer of bad news. I'm not against a 1 year undergrad guy but I will believe it when I see it here.
Not going to see it and probably won’t see many grad transfers either as the numbers are going to go way down after this upcoming season as the Covid bonus ends.

Interesting how admissions and Mooney’s preference appear to overlap here. I also don’t think this year’s success with one year transfers is something that can be constantly replicated. UR is not going to find and get a Jordan King every year.

In terms of portal losses, UR hasn’t been greatly hurt simply because it is still early in the game and high school recruiting hasn’t been good enough. All the underclassmen that have left did not have significant roles. Hopefully Mooney and staff will be able to retain any “home grown” talent slated for starting roles. Time will tell.

No sign we're involved. I just found him noteworthy.

I should also say we're involved with Jamie Kaiser.

My friend says he wondered why Kaiser's car had been home a lot the past there weeks. Sounds like he has been finishing up classes virtually, perhaps. He's going to give me some more intel soon. This is one I *could* actually see going our way, if things play out right. The kid attended four high schools in four years, now he's leaving Maryland after one. Some stability would probably be welcome, and we are 90 minutes away from his family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT