ADVERTISEMENT

Who peed in JOC's Cheerios this morning?

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Pretty bizarre article to make the argument that UR players transferring out is a recent thing. He apparently forgot about Buck, Stansbury, Dominaus, Pistokache, Diekvoss, Smithen, Josh Jones, Singleton, etc. Even before JOC's magic cutoff of 2017–18, plenty of guys were only at UR long enough to grab a drink of water.

I think my question ended up on X
Did we lose anyone that we were disappointed about? I can think of a few that
I was glad that they left.

Reactions: WCUR11
I was wondering the same thing. Usually we criticize him for not being harsh enough. This time it's like he set out to make us look bad. Unless he knows something and is trying to lay the groundwork...???

I didn't take the piece to be overtly critical at all rather a factual accounting of our high school recruitment retention over the past 6 years. I know folks are not used to a piece of actual journalism from him because he generally writes puff pieces about UR men's hoops that offer little in the way of journalist rigor, so I guess to some it may come across as critical.

Mooney is probably not going to talk to him until the season starts because of it though.

as for JOC "just writing facts" ... has there really be much of an increase?

this may be off a little and I can only list based on their class ... not when they transferred but he's what I've got:
2023 (1): Trevor Smith
2022 (3): Aidan Noyes, Malcolm Dread, Jason Nelson
2021 (2): Isaiah Wilson, Marcus Randolph
2020 (1): Andre Weir
2019 (0)
2018 (4): Verinskis, Wojcik, Ford, Schneider
2017 (0)
2016 (1): Buckingham
2015 (5): Stansbury, Diekvoss, Dominaus, Pistocahe, Fore
2014 (1): Smithen
2013 (2): Jones, Singleton
2012 (2): Piotrowski, Nelson-Ododa

doesn't look like much of an increase and we've rarely lost someone who had a big future.

the transfer market has a negative effect on retaining high school recruits. you think you're in line for more playing time, then the coach brings in a junior or senior in front of you. plus, we've brought in more transfers than high school kids lately.

we landed some highly talented transfers the last few ywear. but I think the transfer talent level will drop off next year due to less supply with the covid transfers finished. so the young guys on our roster will have a better chance at early playing time which would lead to less transfers out.

as for JOC "just writing facts" ... has there really be much of an increase?

this may be off a little and I can only list based on their class ... not when they transferred but he's what I've got:
2023 (1): Trevor Smith
2022 (3): Aidan Noyes, Malcolm Dread, Jason Nelson
2021 (2): Isaiah Wilson, Marcus Randolph
2020 (1): Andre Weir
2019 (0)
2018 (4): Verinskis, Wojcik, Ford, Schneider
2017 (0)
2016 (1): Buckingham
2015 (5): Stansbury, Diekvoss, Dominaus, Pistocahe, Fore
2014 (1): Smithen
2013 (2): Jones, Singleton
2012 (2): Piotrowski, Nelson-Ododa

doesn't look like much of an increase and we've rarely lost someone who had a big future.

the transfer market has a negative effect on retaining high school recruits. you think you're in line for more playing time, then the coach brings in a junior or senior in front of you. plus, we've brought in more transfers than high school kids lately.

we landed some highly talented transfers the last few ywear. but I think the transfer talent level will drop off next year due to less supply with the covid transfers finished. so the young guys on our roster will have a better chance at early playing time which would lead to less transfers out.
Burton?

Technically it was yesterday’s Cheerios
But it was "today's Cheerios" when I posted last night!

Anyway, I just found the tweet to be a bit snarky. The article itself was neutral, but as I mentioned and others have added to, he's making a false argument that our early transfers out have increased significantly in recent years. It's simply not true.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Here are all the high school recruits (no transfers) since the 2010-2011 season. I have put in bold players that transferred after playing 2 years or fewer with us
2023-24: Smith, Tanner, Tyne, Soulis
2022-23: Walz
2021-22: Nelson, Randolph, Dread, Noyes*
2020-21: Weir, Wilson, Bailey
2019-20: Burton
2018-19: Koureissi, Wojcik, Grace, Gustavson
2017-18: Gilyard, Schneider, Cayo, Ford, Verbinskis*
2016-17: Sherod, Buckingham, Golden, Stansburry
2015-16: Pistokache, Johnson, Dominaus
2014-15: Friendshuh, Diekvoss, Smithen, Fore
2013-14: ShawnDre Jones, Josh Jones, Singleton
2012-13: Taylor, Allen, Moyer**
2011-12: Anthony, Davis, Piotrowski, Nelson-Ododa
2010-11: Lindsay, Williams, Sparrow
*Both have been at UR 3 years but redshirted first year so only had 2 years of game time.
**Not sure if he was a walk-on but he did transfer to Campbell and played there his Junior year so I will include as well.

Let me know if I messed anything up. Doing some quick math:

Since 2010-11 we have recruited 46 high school, non-transfer recruits. 21 have transferred after playing 2 or fewer seasons with us. That is 45.65%.

Since the 2017-2018 season through 2023-24 season (7 years) we have recruited 22 players. 11 have transferred. That is 50%.

Since the 2010-2011 season through 2016-2017 (7 years) we have recruited 24 players. 10 have transferred after playing 2 or fewer seasons with us. That is 41.67%

Data If we don’t include Moyer:
Total transfers since 2010-11: 20/45 or 44.44%
Transfers from 2010-11 season through 2016-2017 season (7 years). 9/23 or 39.1%

I have no idea if this is statistically significant or not, but wanted to share the numbers objectively.

Last edited:
But it was "today's Cheerios" when I posted last night!

Anyway, I just found the tweet to be a bit snarky. The article itself was neutral, but as I mentioned and others have added to, he's making a false argument that our early transfers out have increased significantly in recent years. It's simply not true.

true...but why do u have be so technical...ha. I read it this morning, that's my excuse.

Clearly, JOC is just upset that he hasn't gotten more scheduling news via the staff.

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
Here are all the high school recruits (no transfers) since the 2010-2011 season. I have put in bold players that transferred after playing 2 years or fewer with us
2023-24: Smith, Tanner, Tyne, Soulis
2022-23: Walz
2021-22: Nelson, Randolph, Dread, Noyes*
2020-21: Weir, Wilson, Bailey
2019-20: Burton
2018-19: Koureissi, Wojcik, Grace, Gustavson
2017-18: Gilyard, Schneider, Cayo, Ford, Verbinskis*
2016-17: Sherod, Buckingham, Golden, Stansburry
2015-16: Pistokache, Johnson, Dominaus
2014-15: Friendshuh, Diekvoss, Smithen, Fore
2013-14: ShawnDre Jones, Josh Jones, Singleton
2012-13: Taylor, Allen, Moyer**
2011-12: Anthony, Davis, Piotrowski, Nelson-Ododa
2010-11: Lindsay, Williams, Sparrow
*Both have been at UR 3 years but redshirted first year so only had 2 years of game time.
**Not sure if he was a walk-on but he did transfer to Campbell and played there his Junior year so I will include as well.

Let me know if I messed anything up. Doing some quick math:

Since 2010-11 we have recruited 46 high school, non-transfer recruits. 21 have transferred after playing 2 or fewer seasons with us. That is 45.65%.

Since the 2017-2018 season through 2023-24 season (7 years) we have recruited 22 players. 11 have transferred. That is 50%.

Since the 2010-2011 season through 2016-2017 (7 years) we have recruited 24 players. 10 have transferred after playing 2 or fewer seasons with us. That is 41.67%

I have no idea if this is statistically significant or not, but wanted to share the numbers objectively.
Great work, 17. I guess the one conclusion I draw from your list is that the portal has not really made an appreciable difference in our transfer rate. I would have thought it did based on the article and the fact that everyone seems to be transferring these days.

And the one question, I have is where does our 45-50% transfer rate line up with similar/like programs to ours?

I will say nearly every transfer that has left us, I can't think of one that we truly missed (and I'm not counting 4 year players transfers like Burton/Bailey). Even Khwan Fore was here 4 years, he had a redshirt year that he used elsewhere, I believe). The vast majority are players who were recruiting misses and transferred down.

Strange one by JOC. I think if you told any random basketball fan that a program lost 11 of their past 22 recruits via transfer, their response would either be "is that all they lost" or "yes, no kidding, it's the transfer era when teams are losing 5 or more a year".

as for the main point of his article ... I'm still very excited about the high school recruits from the past 3 classes!
Me too. Except for Smith, he may end up being a very good player but lost interest since he transferred.

It does seem the 2025 class might be sneaky good - like I said in another post - it is harder to get excited about the incoming frosh with all the transfers coming in.

On a cold January day in 2019 Senior Chandler Diekvoss playing for Lindenwood hung 38 points and grabbed 10 boards in a 3OT loss to Lincoln...facts that matter brought to you by Fan 2.

Tomas Verbinskis shot 12 for 57 (21 percent) from 3 point land during his career at Lafayette.

On a cold January day in 2019 Senior Chandler Diekvoss playing for Lindenwood hung 38 points and grabbed 10 boards in a 3OT loss to Lincoln...facts that matter brought to you by Fan 2.
hmm. scored 1,509 points there. nice career.

It works both ways- we got George Washington after his freshman year,
J.O. may be pissed because he’s not scooping anyone on our recruiting.

Very underrated element to that move is outrecruiting another school in the same league and with a similar academic profile that literally shares his name. It would be like if we were trying to sign Delonnie Hunt and we convinced him to come here instead of going to Delonnie Hunt University. That's damn impressive!

Very underrated element to that move is outrecruiting another school in the same league and with a similar academic profile that literally shares his name. It would be like if we were trying to sign Delonnie Hunt and we convinced him to come here instead of going to Delonnie Hunt University. That's damn impressive!

the losing school is like "What more can we do!!?"

In fairness to George Washington, I'm not sure they could recruit themselves to their own school. They spend far too much time hating on themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT