ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s our X man and other MLAX stuff

UVA coach Lars Tiffany weighs in on new NCAA lacrosse rules
By RON COUNTS The Daily Progress ·23 hours ago

Virginia coach Lars Tiffany was tied up Tuesday morning on a teleconference with the NCAA men's lacrosse rules committee, which was busy this offseason. The committee has passed a host of new rules, the most prevalent of which is the addition of a true shot clock.

In the past, it was up to the referees to call a stall warning, thus beginning a 30-second shot clock. Men's lacrosse will now feature a true 80-second shot clock, which will begin when a shot is saved, on first possession following a faceoff or after a penalty stoppage.

The clock includes a 20-second clearing count, in which teams must advance the ball across the midfield line. If the team does not advance into its offensive end of the field in the allotted time, it will lose possession.

"It's not really going to speed the game up too much, and I don't know if we'll see more goals," Tiffany said. "We're definitely going to see more shots and saves, and goalie save percentages are going to go up."

Tiffany already likes to play fast, so the change won't affect the Cavaliers as much as other teams. If anything, he said U.Va. may lose a little bit of a competitive advantage.

"We were a really different prep for teams," Tiffany said. "Now, other teams are going to have to start playing at a tempo near ours. They still won't be as fast as us, but they'll be closer."

Though it may produce a few more shots, Tiffany said the shot clock will be more of a benefit to the defense.

"Assuming a team takes 15 or 20 seconds to get across the mid-line and then you do some subbing, and now we only have to play really tight defense for 40 or 45 seconds," Tiffany said. "In the past, it could be up to two minutes before the hybrid shot clock forced them to do something."

Major League Lacrosse employs a 60-second shot clock.

More new rules for the 2018-19 season:

• The substitution box - a lane that extends on both sides of the midline that one player must enter before another can sub into the game - shrinks from 20 yards wide to 10. Tiffany said that will allow for more offensive fast-break and transition opportunities.
  • The "crease dive" is reinstated. In the past, if a player left his feet while taking a shot and landed in the crease, the shot would not count. Tiffany watched that happen twice in last season's Final Four game between Denver and Maryland.
  • Now, the shot will count if a player leaves his feet of his own volition in a direction away from the goal and the ball enters the goal before he touches the crease. In an effort to protect goalies, any player who dives toward the goal will receive a 1-minute penalty.
  • Given the new shot clock, whether or not a shot has been released before the clock expires will be reviewable via video replay during NCAA championship tournaments.
Tiffany said there is an agenda at work.

"Those rule changes are going to make this game more entertaining," he said. "As a fan, I'm ecstatic. I think college lacrosse is going to be so much more exciting moving forward, and for the new fan, I think it will be easier to understand."

U.Va. will scrimmage Penn State: The Cavaliers travel to Georgetown Prep in Bethesda, Md. on Sunday to face the Nittany Lions in the fourth annual Bob Kemp Classic. The opening faceoff is scheduled for noon.

Admission is free and a free youth clinic featuring U.Va. players and coaches will follow the game.

Tiffany has not previously conducted fall scrimmages. The main reason for his change of heart is a change in NCAA policy, which once counted fall games against a players' eligibility, potentially costing them a shot at a redshirt year. Now, the eligibility clock begins with a player's first spring scrimmage action.

Awaiting game updates for ND home and MD away.

Makes for a 14 game regular season schedule,7 home / 7 away.

Feb 16 @ Bucknell

Feb 19 UMBC

Mar 1 Duke 7pm

Mar 5 Mount Saint Mary’s 4pm

Mar 9 VMI

Mar 16 Furman

Mar 23 @ Bellarmine

Mar 29 @ UVa

Apr 6 @ JAX

Apr 13 @AFA

Apr 20 Mercer

Apr 27 @ HPU

Maryland game likely Feb 10.ND game likely Feb 24.

Awaiting game updates for ND home and MD away.

Makes for a 14 game regular season schedule,7 home / 7 away.

Feb 16 @ Bucknell

Feb 19 UMBC

Mar 1 Duke 7pm

Mar 5 Mount Saint Mary’s 4pm

Mar 9 VMI

Mar 16 Furman

Mar 23 @ Bellarmine

Mar 29 @ UVa

Apr 6 @ JAX

Apr 13 @AFA

Apr 20 Mercer

Apr 27 @ HPU

Maryland game likely Feb 10.ND game likely Feb 24.

I think it’s great that UR is charging an admittance fee for Duke and ND.Nice little amount of revenue possible.

Thanks for posting all of these social media items, 32.

Thank the lord Lax practice is here. If I have to hear Playing vs Compete one more time I might have to jump off the top of the Commons

Something seems a little odd. A coach with his credentials working as a volunteer coach.
I suppose he could be independently wealthy.
Some people even write odd stuff on a regular basis.

This guy has certainly worked at schools requiring top SAT scores,most recently at Bowdoin (for over 9 years as its HC) ,which next to Williams College, is one of the highest rated liberal arts colleges.Add Penn,Kenyon,W&L.

He likely knows his way around recruiting circles pretty well.

If he’s got a trust fund,aren’t we lucky.None of my business.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT