Whither Richmond

BoatWrong05

Rookie
Aug 23, 2005
Well, time for my annual post.

This article caught my eye:
"University of Virginia: Proving Me Right Since 1819"
http://bit.ly/17JrOcC

Last night, I had dinner with a handful of members of the class of 2005. We discuss the Sullivan affair. Politics aside, I wonder if the espoused rationale of Dragas and Jones (UVA's lack of leadership in online education, lack of leadership globally, etc.) wasn't spot on.

It's hard to look at EdX - where, incidentally, an old Richmond political science professor is now a VP - and not think that it could eat both the bottom of the education market generally (read: community colleges, corporate training programs) and the bottom of the "college" market (read: bad four-year colleges). The question arises: what's the bottom of the four-year college market? It's probably not places that create original research. It's also probably not places with a sufficient political interest (read: better-known state colleges). But small, private universities that are several times the cost of their public alternatives and/or provide little of the cachet and connections of the top 10-20? Maybe.

What flows from that realization is pretty scary. What if ol' Fly the Coop was right? If you can't get the raw materials, and there's no improvement on the margin between the high cost but undifferentiated solution (Richmond) and the low cost solution (EdX, UVA, apprenticeship), how can you justify it? Let's not kid ourselves: the answer used to be "socially." That is, it was socially unacceptable for a sufficiently rich person's child to (1) not go to college or (2) go to a "bad" school. I'm not sure that even holds anymore, but I'm not rich enough (slash, at all) to know.

The only thing that differentiates Richmond from the slippery slope between Bucknell / Rollins and Lake Forest / Pine Manor is E. Claiborne Robins. His gift was enough to keep us out of the cemetery. It had the added benefit of inspiring enough other gifts to make us competitive amongst those schools whose fortunes were not theirs to lose. Give credit to the presidents Modlin, Morrill, and Heilman - and yes, Cooper - for doing a reasonably good job of shepherding us down that path. Give credit to the faculty for stepping up their game. Give credit to the students and alumni for embracing change (when I was a freshman, men lived on one side of the lake...a lot changed in just four years).

Now, we're competitive. But we're again facing an existential crisis. I like Ed Ayers. I think he has been a healer, and was the right person for the job. Still, I wonder if he wasn't miffed when Sullivan came back, taking the job for which he doubtlessly longs. I wonder if we shouldn't be a little miffed, too. The Campaign for Richmond is nearly complete! That's fantastic, since none of my friends at dinner last night were asked to give to it. Was that a reflection of its low ambitions? Of my lack of importance (probably)? Of it being a "healing campaign," not a real fundraiser? To be sure, the physical reorientation of the University is a huge deal. Ayers will get credit for leading a successful major campaign, which is a resume item he needs. But I don't think that's enough for us to look confidently to the future with the knowledge that we'll thrive, or even survive.

When I was a student, I found a folder of University Senate materials. One contained some strategic planning notes (sorry for being oblique here...with all the Beast, the details are hazy). A call had been made for suggestions to alter undergraduate education, and one faculty member had suggested that Richmond drop classes and adopt the tutorial model of Oxford or Cambridge. Maybe it's not that change per se, but I think that remark reflects the kind of change that Richmond actually needs. We need to be utterly different. We probably aren't going to do that by dominating particle physics, or dance, or football, or any other single discipline. But we might be able to do it by developing a very unique experience that...oh my god, I'm saying it...actually "transforms" something into something else. Bright minds need to already be great achievers. That's not enough, not anymore.

But maybe transforming young people into global citizens, because they spend half of their college experience abroad. And play a sport each semester. Or work in meaningful jobs in our New York and San Francisco campuses. Or take no classes and get a doctoral-level education in four years. I don't know. But those sound way more powerful in this age.

BoatWrong - I hear you, and I think you raise very valid concerns. I agree that there are some schools out there that are struggling whether they realize it or not. I do not think Richmond falls into that category. Quite the opposite - I think Richmond enjoys a terrific reputation and is looked upon very favorably. I think online education (and I think Dragas was absolutely right by the way) will absolutely accelerate the demise of, or at least the wholesale change to, a number of institutions. Being a Virginian, I know our schools better, but how do Hampden Sydney, Randolph Macon, Emory and Henry, and all of the all-women's schools stand out? I know I would not pay $40-$50,000 a year for my son to go to HSC or my daughter to Sweet Briar. I think schools like that are much, much more susceptible to damage from alternative education. That model is very difficult when a state school is half as expensive. People may have a lot of money, but how long is a guy with money going to put up with paying full boat so that 25-30% of his child's classmates can go for free? That math gets old, quick. I think there are big changes coming, but I think Richmond is in a really great spot.

heck, folks are still paying that kind of money to send their kids to private high schools, when they dry up then so will like colleges. the reason for the popularity of these ieducation deals is that everyone goes to college now, in some form. used to be that only a % attended college, now all the kids go whether they get anything out of it or not. of course the govt money feeds this situation, probably 90% of the ischoolers are going on uncle sam and probably not paying him, ie, us, back.

I completely agree that education has been like home ownership: so subsidized by the government that it's become a bubble, which will take a long time to deflate. I also agree that a lot of the schools Pike mentioned are probably done. But while I do think my baby is beautiful, I think we have to take a hard, critical look at whether Richmond can survive. I don't think it can with its current offerings.

The school does have a lot of things going for it:
- Enough money to be insulated from a few bad decisions along the way (read: Cooper fallout, soccer, etc.), although this is not carte blanche. A sufficient number of failures to convert / forced punts can lose the game.
- A great physical plant. Because, as ugly people like me learn quickly, being pretty is truly helpful.
- A reasonably good brand. I would modify "looked upon very favorably" to read "not considered so far off the top as to be hopeless."
- Enough history of change to tolerate more changes. This is probably priceless. Robins and Ring Dance fundamentally become the same issue: if enough changes occur with enough frequency, the body acclimates, and can do almost anything.

What doesn't the school have?
- An international or national brand. Most people don't learn about Richmond until they are searching for a college. The definition of a good public identity is awareness and even consideration before and after the episode of purchase.
- A world-class program of any sort, defined as the ability to consistently convert entrants to competitors at the highest levels of a discipline. The business school is close, but sending kids to Goldman / Ogilvy / PWC / GE / etc. is still the exception rather than the rule (or, put differently, they aren't thought of the same as kids from Wharton). Jepson is a very distinct and important but totally niche program that still hasn't figured out an identity post-JMB or a consistent role for its students.
- To those ends, a world-class faculty in any discipline. Again, this is burdened by the reduced focus on research during its golden age (1900-2000). You can't re-write history, but as a consequence of our ancestors' choices, the place isn't crawling with Nobel prize winners today.
- A tradition of alumni excelling in one or several public arenas. Let me put up the usual disclaimer! We were on the wrong side of the Civil War. We were 50-100 years late in transitioning away from ministerial training and church affiliation. Etc. You can't change the past. But it has consequences today.
- A location that is a draw. Richmond isn't LA, SF, NYC, London, or Paris. I prefer that - and to be clear, schools that trade on it, like Columbia, are usually second tier - but it removes a marketing tool for us.

This post was edited on 8/13 8:21 AM by BoatWrong05

must say that a "world class" faculty is not something i would want as a student. not attempting to place all in one bucket but from my brief exposure to "world class" profs, you can have them, the most pompous jerks ever encountered in any field and most of the time do not even teach. these people have it in their minds that if you are not published, you are not worthy of even being considerd an educator where i say, most of those pompous types cannot teach in a classroom, they are worthless as teachers but they have a reputation and they get star power but they are worthless in front of students. maybe my profs at UR were not published for the most part but they knew how to teach in the classroom and they cared about their students and that is worth much more than some idiot who had something published, great, he knew how to do some research, organize it and put it down on paper that does not make a teacher and believe that is what a school is there to do.

Agree Spinner. As a 16/17 looking at colleges, I'm not interested in your vita and where you've been published. I want to be interested in the course content and "enjoy" my college experience.

Sorry, but totally disagree. Among my colleagues, the best teachers are those involved in research, pushing forward the frontiers of knowledge. There is no other way to stay current in science than to be deeply involved in it.

As much as you poo-poo the "pompous nature" of some of these profs, these are the same things we want out of our athletes. We want our players to be cocky. We want our players to think they're the best. Why is it different for academia?

I think what is important is that professors are able to teach. They can also do great work researching. But, they need to be able to teach.

K, I agree. We have a great chemistry department comprised of great researchers and teachers; the two are not mutually exclusive.

certainly painting with a broad brush with my remarks and can only speak from my experience. visited an arrogant, pompous prof who only lasted one semester at UR and wanted to discuss some needs and all he wanted to do was have me guess how many As he made in college, unbelievable, all about him, nothing more. have had other encounters, not UR and can only say that i don't like pompous athletes, professors, candlestick makers or whatever profession you wish to name.

Hey, I agree Spinner. I have colleagues in the National Academy who are just great people and teachers. On the other hand, one of my colleagues is a Nobel prize winner and is a pompous -------. Being a good researcher and teacher as stated before are two different things. I wish only that our alma mater can have great teachers and researchers; there is nothing more stimulating or exciting than research pushing forward the limits of our knowledge.

Ulla, agree completely, my only point was that just because an individual may be considered world class as an author or researcher, does not make him a good teacher, does not exclude him either but just cannot say a world class faculty is the best in the classroom, they may not be even close.

In the academic arena, I would prefer to have great teachers rather than great researchers. I had a number of very good, exceptional professors, while I was at Richmond. They were teachers first. My experience in attending a number of different types of institutions, the professors at Richmond were the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT