ADVERTISEMENT

"We lost our son to football and brain disease. This is our story."

Oct 30, 2014
my only comment is, ben if you have kids, don't let them play football but if you believe that is the only way kids or teens or adults get killed or incapacitated, you are living with your eyes closed. there are violin stories about all ages and all types of deals which can happen, this on is no different.

WS it's not one hit , it's ignoring the continued hits and consequences. Had a friend , my age an HLF grad played in a bowl game. Watched him on TV make a hit in first half of a game and he appeared dazed but carried on. Later said he didn't remember playing second half. I don't think he would have been allowed back in game today, that's a step forward. If a guy rips his knee and gets hauled off the field, he gets sympathy, will have a surgical repair, in old days a huge scar but not so big anymore. A guy has a concussion, no one can see any physical Injury and the mentality is that he is a malingerer, and based on the numerous articles the players have that same mentality as they try to hide their symptoms. There needs to be better post hit protocol.
As to new preventive technology, did you notice the new hinge panel helmets some teams were sporting during the bowl,games?
This post was edited on 1/6 7:38 PM by Anachnoid

they are trying A, it it not a light switch deal, will have to evolve over time to a "perfect" deal. benny is one of those guys who wants to ban football, 64oz sodas and twinkies. just tired of liberal violin stories on every subject in our lives. people make choices to climb mountains, race cars, fly planes, run ultra marathons, drink 64oz sodas and others who don't like that just need to realize we live in a free country and we don't need their micro managing what we do. live your life the way you wish and i won't bother you but leave me alone.....

parents are the biggest problem in our country today, not football. in addition, just in case you are unaware, reality tv is scripted and there for entertainment and most of what you see is in no way real but there to shock.

This post was edited on 1/7 3:57 PM by WebSpinner

yes Ben there are some sick people involved with football and that needs to stop, personally I think some of what I have seen should be prosecuted criminally.

Changes are being made to the game to make it more safe, but additional changes need to be made. I believe they will continue working to make the game more safe, no reasonable person wants to see a player killed or injured for life. No reasonable person even wants to see a player injured, but injuries will happen in a violent game like football.

But, Ben, I asked some time ago for you to indicate your level of support for sports. I did that because I have heard you speak on the topic, I have read your writing. No where have I seen anything that I feel is supportive of collegiate athletics. Particularly not at a high level. Your last response to my question was to make a derogatory statement about me and a fellow poster. I really thought you were above that, but I guess not. So I repeat my question, please state your believe as to the position of sports in college, particularly at the University of Richmond.

Glad to see more attention given to this problem but it's funny in a way that one of the most popular ways football players congratulate each other for a good play is to butt heads. Sometimes the player being congratulated gets head butted by 4 or 5 teammates.

I love sports and literally can't imagine life without them. My opinion(s) regarding college sports in particular continue to evolve and sometimes feel very conflicted. I do think football needs to change dramatically to make it safer (although one can never make life risk-free).

Jimmy V.'s 1993 ESPY speech is something I watch over and over again for all kinds of reasons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

next thing, they will want to go to flag or touch football with no 64oz sodas available at the concession area, or any meat for that matter. GEEZ

WebSpinner: You seem really, really concerned about unfettered access to 64oz sodas...drink away all you like (no worries).

Ben, thank you for your partial response (you fail to discuss your thoughts about UR athletics in particular). I believe most in the Spider family accept the concept of the student athlete. That doesn't mean each athlete has to be a Rhodes Scholar. A well rounded young man, or woman, one that can find a way to be successful in the classroom and on the playing field will likely be successful in life. Regardless of class rank. The academic side of the University should not fear the athletic side, they should embrace the well rounded individual that can be successful in multiple arenas. I am often surprised by the number of highly successful professionals I meet that were also successful college athletes. The lessons of discipline and focus to be a first class athlete translate well in the outside world. I recall seeing a study about 20 years ago about college distance long runners, the number that went on to be successful in the business/political world was staggering, well over half.

URFan1: Good points, I agree with them. Sports done well and right enhances academic, personal and professional growth and achievement. It helps facilitate the development of discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, resilience, grit, and identity. Sometimes I look at peer institutions like Washington & Lee and Bucknell and envy the fact that 27% and 20% of their students, respectively, play varsity sports. I think it's close to 20% at Princeton and Dartmouth. At UR it's only 12-13% by comparison.

Just a point of clarification :princeton offers many more Varsity Sports(36)than UR(17)

Men's Teams

Baseball
Basketball
Crew - Heavyweight
Crew - Lightweight
Cross Country
Fencing
Football
Football - Sprint
Golf
Hockey
Lacrosse
Soccer
Squash
Swimming & Diving
Tennis
Track
Volleyball
Water Polo
Wrestling

Women's Teams

Basketball
Crew - Lightweight
Crew - Open
Cross Country
Fencing
Field Hockey
Golf
Hockey
Lacrosse
Soccer
Softball
Squash
Swimming & Diving
Tennis
Track
Volleyball
Water Polo

Dartmouth offers more Varsity sports(34) than UR(17)

MEN'S SPORTS

Baseball
Basketball
Lightweight Crew
Heavyweight Crew
Cross Country
Equestrian
Football
Golf
Ice Hockey
Lacrosse
Sailing
Skiing
Soccer
Squash
Swimming & Diving
Tennis
Track & Field

WOMEN'S SPORTS

Basketball
Crew
Cross Country
Equestrian
Field Hockey
Golf
Ice Hockey
Lacrosse
Sailing
Skiing
Soccer
Softball
Squash
Swimming & Diving
Tennis
Track & Field
Volleyball

Hence,the higher percentage of undergraduate participation in Varsity Sports even though their undergraduate populations are higher.:princeton-5,200:
Dartmouth-4,200
<

This post was edited on 1/8 6:37 PM by 32counter

Bucknell,with an undergraduate population of 3,500,offers 25 Varsity sports which is many more than UR(17) with an undergraduate population of 3,000..The school offers a plethora of Intramural and club sports which may also be included in your percentages.

Mens Sports

Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
Football
Golf
Lacrosse
Soccer
Swimming and Diving
Tennis
Track and Field
Water Polo
Wrestling

Women's Sports

Basketball
Cross Country
Field Hockey
Golf
Lacrosse
Rowing
Soccer
Softball
Swimming and Diving
Tennis
Track and Field
Volleyball
Water Polo.

This post was edited on 1/8 6:40 PM by 32counter

I'm fairly sure that the figures I referenced did not include club or intramural participation rates, just varsity. Yet your point about these schools offering more varsity sports than UR is correct.

benny, you know exactly what i reference with the 64oz sodas, people like you attempting to eliminate things they don't like even though other people do. have never had one, will probably never have one but if i do want one, sure hope it is there and not nuked by you or others of your ilk.

Yo Web, lay off the kid. He's the future and we're the past. Things change. I remember my mom walking down the aisles of Ukrops smoking a cigarette. Just because that's how it used to be doesn't make it right.

only saying it is, or at least was, a free country and we could make our own individual choices and not be told by those who feel they know better what we should do, eat, drink. just because they think they know more than i do, does not mean they are right either. every little freedom which we give up, tightens the box in which we live, you live your life how you wish, will not call you on it but leave mine alone.

I don't feel less free because we can't smoke a cigarette anymore while I get my groceries. Nor, will I feel this free if I don't have my 64 oz soda at 7-11 (even though I can still be a 2 liter at 7-11, so whatever) They used to put cocaine in Coca-cola and let doctors bleed you when you are sick. Pretty sure the government banned those practices a long time ago. I think we confuse government regulation with just overall societal advancements and knowledge.

There are unalienable rights in the Constitution and I don't remember smoking and unfettered access to carbonated beverages being in there. You do still have the right to complain about the 64 oz soda ban, that is what the constitution protects.

Are you saying I can't launch my privately purchased nuclear warheads whenever I please?

At least tell me it's ok to play catch with my pet lion on Patterson Avenue tomorrow at 3 am. He gets a little loud at times. Is that a problem?

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Are you saying I can't launch my privately purchased nuclear warheads whenever I please?

At least tell me it's ok to play catch with my pet lion on Patterson Avenue tomorrow at 3 am. He gets a little loud at times. Is that a problem?
I would have no problem because "FREEDOM".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT