ADVERTISEMENT

UR vs. BC

You can't get everyone you recruit. No team does that. I am glad we got the 5 guys you mentioned and could not care less about Chatman, who last night had only his 2nd double digit scoring game in his 30+ games at UMASS.
I saw Chatman play, he is a physical beast, but like Sal - still developing. The point is we missed too many times on guys like this, and folks like 4700 point to its very difficult to beat the p6, but we lost a lot of these to the A10. Burton we won, hopefully can keep doing this.

CM is putting Francis on the bench now after he takes a poor shot. It was rather obvious that Francis was not happy about it, but definitely necessary. Hopefully he learns from it because he is a great addition to the team, but does need to improve his decision making.
Yes that was a good move by Mooney. Francis can carry is at times bit can get very careless and take some poor shots. It's a balance he will need to learn a little better.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Yes that was a good move by Mooney. Francis can carry is at times bit can get very careless and take some poor shots. It's a balance he will need to learn a little better.
Yea 23 Francis is fearless and has never met a shot he does not like. I just wished he was a little more disciplined then forcing a shot on a 1v3 break or with a tight game coming down without setting up a play and taking a 25+ shot. We have the benefit of guards who can drive and are of an attacking mentality, but
at times a little more patience and discipline needs to take place.

I stated on the board last year that once the season was lost early, every win CM got was painful to me. I continue to feel like it’s time for a change but certainly wouldn’t cut off my nose to spite my face.

With that said, I know I am treating this season as fresh and will pull for the team and the coach so long as there’s an NCAA within grasp. But I also don’t think that’s obligatory to keep one’s fan card.

we're 6-1 and you continue to think its time for a change?? #fakefan

The broccoli floret and I really enjoyed the game. Tyler Burton does not look like a true freshman out there. He's an assertive player. I think he's our most impactful true freshman since Buckingham. I realize he's not a starter, and Gilyard is a bona fide star (who was great two years ago), but Tyler is helping us win games. If Sherod's injury causes him to miss any time, I wouldn't be surprised if Burton gets a start.

I was really pleased every time Mooney sent him back into the game - good recognition by the coach that he was the right guy to have out on the floor.

Great win without Golden and with Sherod unable to buy a bucket.

I saw Chatman play, he is a physical beast, but like Sal - still developing. The point is we missed too many times on guys like this, and folks like 4700 point to its very difficult to beat the p6, but we lost a lot of these to the A10. Burton we won, hopefully can keep doing this.
Every time you say this I keep thinking he is 6’1” and playing for Dayton...

Dayton I think has the most talent by far in the A10, yes a decided edge vs VCU even. How many top 10 picks have come out of the A10, if Toppin ends up going top 10? I will say for all the grief I give moon, watching UMass in person I think McCall is not in moons league.

BURTON shows a lot of promise. He rebounds, and his defensive presence decided this game. Offense a little rough now, but I think that his scoring will come along. His form and his instincts look good.

I see nothing wrong with being curious how the career of our near misses has turned out.

I don't either. I guess I just don't get why he is wondering what we would look like if we had a guy who has done nothing yet instead of 2 of our guys. We are 6-1 and coming off a 20 point win, and we hear that talk, basically criticizing 2 of our guys who are getting minutes?

I do. I guess you missed the last eight seasons. As for being a #fakefan, I’ve been a fan for 30 years and a season ticket holder for 15. I’ll put my fandom up against yours any day.

I see the above post as an antonym of a Spider fan who has been lurking for a long time. Well done!

Burton is a defensive presence that other teams need to worry about. We haven’t had anyone like that in the post since Garrett, really.
He is more agile then Garrett who was taller. Burton is more physical also. But DG was a blocking machine.

Reactions: urfan1
I do. I guess you missed the last eight seasons. As for being a #fakefan, I’ve been a fan for 30 years and a season ticket holder for 15. I’ll put my fandom up against yours any day.

I have watched 95% of the games since the 80s. Included the last 8 years, where if I read my posts, I constantly say that there are no questions, things could be better. That being said, we just mowed down a P6 team and your comment is "still time for a change" That is what is aggravating. That was decided last spring by the AD, whether you agree with it or not.

What most don't understand, the players are for the coaches--and no one else. If the change had been made, the team would have been different, because the people that matter the most-the players-are loyal to the coach and no one else, certainly not a group of people who put up a billboard.

We're 6-1. We could end up 6-23, 28-1 or somewhere in between. Let's enjoy what we have, not keep relieving the past when that decision has been made.

Runner-up to this one, perhaps:

The reason it is a dumb comment is that we don't have an infinite number of roster spots. We also don't know why he didn't come here. There is a multitude of reasons why, and we will probably never know, but it may not be as simple as he pick them over us. (just like we will never know if Burton truly picked us over Providence).

Let's just say we got Chatman. Most likely Burton goes somewhere else. While we're on the subject, if Daman Tate picked us over BU (where he is hurt and not even playing), we don't have a shot at Burton.

Reactions: VT4700
I don't either. I guess I just don't get why he is wondering what we would look like if we had a guy who has done nothing yet instead of 2 of our guys. We are 6-1 and coming off a 20 point win, and we hear that talk, basically criticizing 2 of our guys who are getting minutes?
It was in response to a post on athletic wings. Chatman is an athletic wing that got away. And for the record, my read is that we chose Grace/Woj over Chatman, not Chatman choosing UMass over us.

I’m wondering because I like the player and think he would be value added to our squad. I think Grace is out of his depth a little bit (and I constantly worry while he’s on the floor) and Woj hasn’t been his more assertive self that he was last year (still a fan by the way).

We’re 6-1. We have beaten 3 power 5 schools (2 convincingly). I’m beyond excited. However, that doesn’t mean that I stop thinking about how we can be or could be better.

That being said, it was meant to only be an aside comment. We don’t need to make a federal case out of it.

I have watched 95% of the games since the 80s. Included the last 8 years, where if I read my posts, I constantly say that there are no questions, things could be better. That being said, we just mowed down a P6 team and your comment is "still time for a change" That is what is aggravating. That was decided last spring by the AD, whether you agree with it or not.

What most don't understand, the players are for the coaches--and no one else. If the change had been made, the team would have been different, because the people that matter the most-the players-are loyal to the coach and no one else, certainly not a group of people who put up a billboard.

We're 6-1. We could end up 6-23, 28-1 or somewhere in between. Let's enjoy what we have, not keep relieving the past when that decision has been made.
If you’ll go back and reread my post, what I said was that I’m not here to cut off my nose to spite my face. I am a longtime moderate on here, I’ve been very willing to let CM try to navigate whatever challenges he’s had at UR. I’m pleased that we are doing well and credit to CM that he’s made whatever adjustments were needed to get us to 6-1. I’ll wait to see if we end up in the ncaa race.

It doesn’t change my opinion that history isn’t on CMs side, he’s had a long run with very modest success at UR. Maybe he’ll change my mind if we make the tournament, all I’m saying is that until then I think we would be better off changing directions. It’s not a crazy notion when we’ve made the tournament twice in 14 seasons.

The reason it is a dumb comment is that we don't have an infinite number of roster spots. We also don't know why he didn't come here. There is a multitude of reasons why, and we will probably never know, but it may not be as simple as he pick them over us. (just like we will never know if Burton truly picked us over Providence).

Let's just say we got Chatman. Most likely Burton goes somewhere else. While we're on the subject, if Daman Tate picked us over BU (where he is hurt and not even playing), we don't have a shot at Burton.
I, too, am happy with our current roster construction - especially Burton, see above.

It was more an editorial comment on the need to call other Spider fans "dumb" and/or "#fakefans."

Reactions: urfan1
Missing the point as usual. Just noting that we could have been this good last 6 years if we had depth and didn't miss out to other A10 teams. If TJ and Shawndre just had a little more around them. Yes, loving Cayo, but wouldn't have hurt to have much more depth last few years. Mooney probably wouldn't have had billboard.

Missing the point as usual. Just noting that we could have been this good last 6 years if we had depth and didn't miss out to other A10 teams. If TJ and Shawndre just had a little more around them. Yes, loving Cayo, but wouldn't have hurt to have much more depth last few years. Mooney probably wouldn't have had billboard.
This time period strangely coincides with the time of our dearly departed former AD.

Reactions: UR80sfan

Very well said. Chatman already missed some games this year for personal reasons, and I saw him twice at the Mohegan Sun tourney and he went a combined 0-6 with 1 total point those 2 games. I am more than happy with who we have.

Reactions: UR80sfan and urfan1
But again, you are looking small picture, not big picture. We should have been doing much better on the recruiting trail. We offered him and missed. Maybe Mooney could have made him a good player? Keep living your lies.

It was in response to a post on athletic wings. Chatman is an athletic wing that got away. And for the record, my read is that we chose Grace/Woj over Chatman, not Chatman choosing UMass over us.

I’m wondering because I like the player and think he would be value added to our squad. I think Grace is out of his depth a little bit (and I constantly worry while he’s on the floor) and Woj hasn’t been his more assertive self that he was last year (still a fan by the way).

We’re 6-1. We have beaten 3 power 5 schools (2 convincingly). I’m beyond excited. However, that doesn’t mean that I stop thinking about how we can be or could be better.

That being said, it was meant to only be an aside comment. We don’t need to make a federal case out of it.

your timing is a bit off. Woj and Grace didn't sign w/ us until May-I believe when Buck and Kwhan announcements were made.

Reactions: nathanw19
But again, you are looking small picture, not big picture. We should have been doing much better on the recruiting trail. We offered him and missed. Maybe Mooney could have made him a good player? Keep living your lies.

Living a lie? I don't live in the black and white world of Mooney hatred. college recruiting definitely isn't black and white. How do you know he didn't improve his SATs enough, didn't get along w/ the players on his visit, got in trouble at his HS, or a million other things that happen, more than HE chose UMass over Richmond. He already missed a handful of games for "personal reasons"...what does that mean?

By the time their careers are over, Burton will have a better career including more NCAA wins.

A miss is when a player commits to you, lives here for a month and the school decides not to let him into your night school. The player than transfers to Xavier and almost leads them to the final 4. That is a miss.

Reactions: VT4700
Spiders! Congrats on a great win yesterday and a fabulous start to the season! I apologize for taking so long to say congrats but you know us Rams are a little slow and it took me awhile to reconfirm the account! Great start of the season. You got shooters. Mooneys defense change seems to be a positive. I say an extension is in order! Anyway, keep winning so when we play we can get a boost for the RPI. Miss Ulla. I owe him a beer. Although I think he fears all Ram’s as psychopaths.
Ram Bal

Living a lie? I don't live in the black and white world of Mooney hatred. college recruiting definitely isn't black and white. How do you know he didn't improve his SATs enough, didn't get along w/ the players on his visit, got in trouble at his HS, or a million other things that happen, more than HE chose UMass over Richmond. He already missed a handful of games for "personal reasons"...what does that mean?

By the time their careers are over, Burton will have a better career including more NCAA wins.

A miss is when a player commits to you, lives here for a month and the school decides not to let him into your night school. The player than transfers to Xavier and almost leads them to the final 4. That is a miss.
Again, you are looking small picture. Do you have inside info you are sharing? We missed on a lot of guys to mid majors. Stop dude, you are looking like a fool. The X transfer was an embarrassment. PQ should have stepped in and saved Mooney, an embarrasment. I would stop now if I were you, you and stop calling other posters posts ignorant, it is a bad look.

Spiders! Congrats on a great win yesterday and a fabulous start to the season! I apologize for taking so long to say congrats but you know us Rams are a little slow and it took me awhile to reconfirm the account! Great start of the season. You got shooters. Mooneys defense change seems to be a positive. I say an extension is in order! Anyway, keep winning so when we play we can get a boost for the RPI. Miss Ulla. I owe him a beer. Although I think he fears all Ram’s as psychopaths.
Ram Bal
Thanks for stopping by Ram Ball! Sweet 16 and final 4 in the same year. Way to build on that excitement. Moon failed to do so and spawned a truther nation at the same time. Welcome back and thanks for the encouragment. I do think Gilyard hits 2 buzzer beaters vs lambs this year!

Reactions: Ram Bal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT