ADVERTISEMENT

UR and UVA game notes for UR v UVA

1st half summary:

No rhythm on offense.

Can’t contain Perkins on defense.

Why did Huesman decide to let the clock run out the half? We had 3 time outs and a minute left in the half.

Last edited:
We’re getting run all over. Hopefully something we can address. I expect UVA to run up the score - better hope we can bring some punch to the fight in the 2nd half.

Reactions: urfan1
1st half summary:

No rhythm on offense.

Can’t contain Perkins on defense.

Why did Huesman decide to let the clock run out the half? We had 3 time outs and a minute left in the half. Ridiculous.

Because if we go 3 & out or throw a pick we’re down 35-10. We had no momentum. We needed the half to come.

Reactions: urfan1
KJ's accuracy looks the same as the spring game, scrimmage and @EW. It's going to be a long season if that doesn't improve.

Collins had just run 6-7 yards the play before. We could have milked some clock before run another play and seeing how things were. Just my opinion, but I like playing aggressive. Especially in a game where our offense and defense haven’t been in sync. We have to create our own chances

Sadly, we are no good. Can Huesman.

Next year in football Russ opens up with powerhouses Longwood,followed by St Francis NY,followed by IUPUI.All at home instead of collecting at $425,000 check from BC.He’s going to reconfigure his roster with 60% freshmen who are miserably underweight and inexperienced and he’ll have 2 key players transfer as well before next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
I love my Spiders but man we looked flat today. The fan in me was hoping to win, but realistically I just wanted to us play well and carry the momentum into our FCS schedule.

My thoughts:

Defense:
- a lot of missed tackles. We have to clean that up
- I don't know how much of it is UVA talent, but we still look lost out there. Defense wins championships. We shouldn't be allowing 40+ points, event to UVA.

Offense:
- KJ was just not connecting. Made some poor decisions throwing the ball and missed a couple of throws he should have had.

All in all we looked out of sync and with no rhythm. We better figure it out against Fordham and St. Francis or else it's going to be another long season for us.

Glad to see we had a lot of freshman get playing time today. We're going to need them as the season progresses. Wilkins looked good with some nice catches and our special teams looked good. Trau missed a 28 yard attempt, but all in all looked solid. Breckenridge also looked good punting for us.

It just goes to show how special our 2016 team was. If we didn't have the injuries we did, we would have competed for a national championship.

I believe we're going to come out firing on all cylinders next week. Go Spiders!

Last edited:
Sadly, we are no good. Can Huesman.
Honestly, I was being facetious. Love our coach and what he aspires to do. Unfortunately, just don’t think he has what it takes to reach his goals at UR. I sincerely hope I am wrong. Whatever, I will support him and our team. Go Spiders!

I'm going to be screaming this til the day I die....... get a damn kicker who can get it into the endzone!! We had NO chance after losing the field position game in the first half.

And what happened to Trau? Almost miffed a kickoff, and then a chip shot field goal. Time to give little bro a chance.

UVA won 6 games last season with a non mobile,mediocre passer as Benkert.

With QB Perkins,if he stays healthy,they should be winning 8 games in 2018.He had 300 yds of total offense himself.
He adds a significant,added dimension in Cville,which I dont recall previously seeing.Ellis at RB and with 5-9,225 dimensions had 160 yds rushing and 2TDs and an 8 yd avg and we looked like rag arms trying to tackle him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulla1
I'm going to be screaming this til the day I die....... get a damn kicker who can get it into the endzone!! We had NO chance after losing the field position game in the first half.

And what happened to Trau? Almost miffed a kickoff, and then a chip shot field goal. Time to give little bro a chance.

Huesman and Trau got into it on the sideline in the second half after one of the kickoffs.

I do think the FCS vs ACC size/speed difference was evident. Not sure our guys were flat, though I could see why it would appear that way. I just thought our guys looked a step slower, not as big. Which should be the case vs an ACC school. I loved the big upset vs uva a couple years ago, but I am a proponent of not playing these games. I don't think it give you an advantage for the rest of the year, and it seems that the injury rate due to the size/strength/speed disadvantage causes more injuries. I recall a game a few years back against NC State in which we had some real key injuries. I thought I heard mention of some of our OL getting dinged tonight. Does anyone know if that is the case?
And I don't want to hear the money case. Queally's portfolio probably goes up or down this amount in an hour in the day. I would rather play a cupcake and work out some kinks.

I thought the d line looked ok. Jackson gets off the ball and it looks like we should be able to preasure opposing teams QBs. Thought uva QB was fast and a good player, but we just didn’t tackle well. I think tackling will improve next week. On offense, we had some flashes, but I agree KJ has to be more accurate to keep the chains moving. In his defense, the running game was non existent and we didn’t get much push up front. That said, it was an ACC opponent and I hope we will run the ball much better against Fordham.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Dang that was hard to endure. Watching UR look unprepared and confused. Coach slow getting plays called and lack of spirit on the sidelines. But most of all having to suffer through what seemed like 10 minutes of them (UVA) swaying and singing after every score........and there was lots of scoring by them.

The way UVA was converting third downs, their starting field position mattered little.

Reactions: SpiderRick
On a brighter note, Charlotte is handling Fordham easily tonight (34-10) with 2 minutes left in the game. I know you can’t really compare scores, but Charlotte is most likely the worst team in all of FBS. Certainly in the bottom 5. UVA will win 6 or 7 games this year. So we should have a game next week where we can figure some things out and still come away with a victory.

Dang that was hard to endure. Watching UR look unprepared and confused. Coach slow getting plays called and lack of spirit on the sidelines. But most of all having to suffer through what seemed like 10 minutes of them (UVA) swaying and singing after every score........and there was lots of scoring by them.

Two years in a row we started the season looking confused and unprepared. And slow getting plays in. That wasn't against a BCS school. I hope that this is not a reflection of Huesman' s coaching staff

I really think it's difficult to accurately assess our squad coming out of these FBS games. Honestly, I saw a couple of things that I liked, and I saw A LOT that I didn't like -- but again, it's UVa, 85 vs 63, etc.

I'm going to wait until next week. I think we'll win the next 2 by at least 2-3 TDs, but we'll have a better idea of where we are heading into conf play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT