ADVERTISEMENT

Updated sites begin tonight

urfan1

Jan 9, 2003
Here are some of the new Features & Benefits for the new Rivals.com Message Boards:

1. They are a responsive design; meaning, they were designed for desktop, tablets and mobile - all in one design and all at the same URL. No need to go to a different address to get the proper version for your device

2. They have a modern, secure and actively maintained framework built for speed & stability

3. There will be no limit on Thread History, so you can reference old topics or replies at any time

4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc

5. You now can set up alerts and follow users so you don't miss replies to topics you're participating in or miss great posts from your favorite users. In your News Feed you'll be able to see all of the topics, users, and content that you wish to follow.

6. Dynamic quoting system so what you select within a thread can be quoted without copying and pasting any code. You select what you want to quote and click Reply over that selection, and it will be put automatically in your reply. You can quote multiple posts and automatic quoting is set up so that you can always follow the conversation with a user forgetting to quote.
7. Improved navigation and search: quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread or to the top and bottom of each thread. Advanced search features include by keyword, date or thread title.

Be careful Mo, it may catch some posts of our regulars :rolleyes:

I like the look so far. Had some issues being able to log in...It kept telling me my account needed to be confirmed, then I had it send the confirmation email, then clicked the link and it told me everything was good to go, but when I tried to post it said I needed to confirm my account.

Just FYI in case others may be experiencing the same issue.

Amazing....can't believe we'll have access to more than four pages of thread history now! Too bad it's not retroactive.

Xenforo is a nice platform...we're getting ready to switch over to it from vBulletin at work. We've also been working with Audentio on the design side. Pleased with our results, and looking good here too.

Looks and works nicely, the old platform was getting long in the tooth.

I like it. I had a really old e-mail address on file, which I don't have access to anymore to activate my account. Took me a few minutes but you can actually change your e-mail. It is isn't labeled very well to find how to do that though.

Had issues getting logged in as well. Had to send the confirmation a few times to actually get it. Then had to log out and back in, but seems to work now.

Love that we can "like" things now.

nevermind. figured it out. won't search for things in the old format, but does for anything posted today in the new format.

So your saying we still have a chance with Andrew White. I think that deserves it's own thread:)

Guess it will be a while before everyone is back on and posting. Does it indicate anywhere on the basketball board how many are on? I like everything so far. Just hitting the buttons and kicking the tires now.

Just checking that I'm here. Looks like I finally am...

Does it indicate when there is a new post on a thread?
If you're logged in, there are very clear indications. On the main forum page, forums with new posts since your last visit are in bold red. On the individual forum index pages, titles of threads with posts with new posts are in bold and clicking the title takes you straight to the first unread one.

It's a huge improvement. To be frank, the old version had become an embarrassment. Not quite as awful as GW's board, but unpleasant.

Now for the richmond.rivals.com homepage to be improved. We still have the 2012 stats up there...

It's a huge improvement. To be frank, the old version had become an embarrassment. Not quite as awful as GW's board, but unpleasant.

Now for the richmond.rivals.com homepage to be improved. We still have the 2012 stats up there...
working on it, baby steps -- this takes time, all has to be merged into work schedule

Fan1, thanks for all of your efforts! :)

Last edited:

I like the one that has the "2012 roster" of Cline, "Odoba", and "A. Kendall"...

I like it. Now if I can get my "favorites" to direct to the new site in lieu of the old I'll be good to go.

Does anyone know how to stop it from thinking that the previous two or three pages of basketball forum threads are "new" and unread? For the basketball forum, and any of the other forums for that matter, it would be nice to just set them all to read and no longer new, so that when I arrive it will honestly show me if there are new posts. Right now it is always showing me that there are new posts to read, because it set all the posts going back to March 23 as unread. I would really like to avoid even clicking on all those crazy VCU threads again. :)

There's a link in the top red navigation bar to Mark Forums Read. Hopefully that will give things a kick in the pants and get things reset properly for you.

SF, thanks for your input, you obviously have expertise in this area and it helps -- your suggestion will work

Having been somewhat responsible for a forum with 20 million posts and nearly a million members for a number of years, you learn your way around. ;)

Can't get my Samsung phone to work here. Tablet and desktop, no problem. Phone will get me to the site but not allow me to open threads or forums. Get big blocks when tapping and then random home Rival pages open. What am I doing wrong other than trying to converse with you knuckleheads?

Can't get my Samsung phone to work here. Tablet and desktop, no problem. Phone will get me to the site but not allow me to open threads or forums. Get big blocks when tapping and then random home Rival pages open. What am I doing wrong other than trying to converse with you knuckleheads?
I am having problem with my Samsung/Droid as well. I can get to the threads but if I click on the last page, it brings me to the first page (then I can click on the last page). Also, I cant see the last user that posted - so can't see if any new activity on a thread. Should I be going through an app, instead of web browser on my phone?

concur on smart phone issues. doesn't work for me. Droid. I would describe almost as touchscreen calibration issue, the links/clicks are off. And if you get one it goes to some random rivals page. If you're on homepage with list of the UR forums you cant get into any. And if you're in a thread you only get page 1. I like the site but it's useless for mobile right now unless my fellow mush can help me. I'm not aware of an app. I figure the site is browser agnostic but maybe it works better with particular browser?

Motorola Droid with Verizon and works fine. I find that if I mark threads as read like SF says seems to help clean up the first posts read

concur on smart phone issues. doesn't work for me. Droid. I would describe almost as touchscreen calibration issue, the links/clicks are off. And if you get one it goes to some random rivals page. If you're on homepage with list of the UR forums you cant get into any. And if you're in a thread you only get page 1. I like the site but it's useless for mobile right now unless my fellow mush can help me. I'm not aware of an app. I figure the site is browser agnostic but maybe it works better with particular browser?

Exactly

Guys, please report your issues directly to Rivals. I know they wanted to enhance the mobile experience and as people report they will attempt to respond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT