ADVERTISEMENT

Trolling for Spiders

Anachnid

Rookie
Dec 31, 2021
Yea, that’s what my kids call my wearing UR hats, carrying UR labeled luggage, shirts and sweatshirts on vacations or occasional masters competitions and taking the UR tailgate pop up to the beach. After the FB national championship and then the 2011 men’s NCAA, I would get stopped or acknowledged in airports or cities in California, Colorado, Texas, NM, AZ, SC, NY etc. but since about 2014 I’ve been getting skunked.
Since moving from Richmond back to the Peninsula, I had one UR dad and one non UR guy who likes us better than VCU stop me.
Anyone else feeling Spider isolated?
So disheartening.

Yea, that’s what my kids call my wearing UR hats, carrying UR labeled luggage, shirts and sweatshirts on vacations or occasional masters competitions and taking the UR tailgate pop up to the beach. After the FB national championship and then the 2011 men’s NCAA, I would get stopped or acknowledged in airports or cities in California, Colorado, Texas, NM, AZ, SC, NY etc. but since about 2014 I’ve been getting skunked.
Since moving from Richmond back to the Peninsula, I had one UR dad and one non UR guy who likes us better than VCU stop me.
So disheartening.
still in Richmond area, so not seeing that. When I travel I am seeing about expected response.

So disheartening.
Yah, we were world famous for our FB national Championship and it has been down hill ever since (sarcasm).

Richmond has build a strong national reputation as one of the top 100 colleges in the country. I would think any where you go wearing a Spider hat people would comment. This is especially true in wealthy communities in the North East.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
This is especially true in wealthy communities in the North East.

Very true here in MA as UR is given a look by a lot of the above average stats kids who are considering a LAC. Parents who hadn’t heard of it or didn’t know much about it are exposed. Had two of my good friends visit with their kids this year. Both families loved it of course.

I’m sure the proximity to Maryland has something to do with it, but at a party with some very affluent people they hoped there son or daughter would chose Richmond to continue their lacrosse play.
But, I’m not sure if many knew that we played football.
I may sure they did. LOL

All I hear in these comments are “affluent families”. Well I came to Richmond in 72 from a very middle income family and was better known as a “townie “. My three closest friends today came from the same family social economic background
and started at UR the same year. We knew of Buster O’Brian and the Tangerine Bowl win and some other football wins but nothing else in other sports. We have gone from 70% VA students to 80% above the Mason Dixon line. It is not the same UR by any stretch of the imagination and I cannot relate to the level of affluence in its student pool. But I still support it and bleed blue and red though many 76ers have little influence on the direction of the school unless our pockets are real deep.

Haha, in the past (maybe like 10 years ago) I would get at least one comment every trip when I was wearing my Spider gear. These days, not so much (but then again, our travel has been severely curtailed).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT