ADVERTISEMENT

The glamour of FBS Football - Appalachian State

URo-Line

Letter Winner
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2009
Wow
How would you like to be an App State fan today after being the stud program at FCS..

Review of last season:
Got killed by Michigan (seems somewhat ironic after 2007)
Beat Campbell 66-0 (Campbell is dreadful in football-non scholarship)
Then lost 4 straight including losing to Liberty at home.
They then ripped off 6 straight wins against Sun-Belt opponents.

They still are drawing pretty well but it has to be so painful to alums and fans
Sun-Belt must be terrible

Do not understand if they think they are in a better spot now then when they were winning National Championships, beating FBS Schools and being relevant.

Thoughts?

The conversation is not about Appalachian State Football, but more around the future of FCS and FBS and the comments Doug Fullerton made (referenced in another thread).

take a look at marshall, a multiple national champ at fcs and now a nobody for the past 10 years at the fbs level. of course, if they, in their own minds, feel they are more relevant, that is OK. the gap between the big five conferences and all others will continue to grow. who really knows what is in store over the next few years for our level but do know if we start paying and if unions are a part, not sure we should be part of that.

I'd be curious to see what their books look like (in real revenue/expenses) in FBS vs FCS since the reason given often for moving up is all the money available at the FBS level. I don't buy it.

I would be interested to hear how App State and Ga Southern fans answer this question:

"Is 88 scholarship football against each other somehow more interesting than 65 scholarship football was?"

Does anybody how how much TV money the Sun Belt gets? The math on this is probably not very complicated.

MO, cannot imagine that too many sponsors are willing to shell out big bucks for the exposure they get with tulane vs odu. think the big 5 conferences will pay them more money to come play them than they pay us, maybe a couple hundred grand but unless they play 3 or more of those games, not really a lot of revenue to offset 20+ more scholies, equip, coaches, etc.

really feel that some of these schools feel like they, by moving up, will be sucked into a top 5 conf, should expansion continue. so far most of the expansion has been accomplished by raiding other top 5 conf teams from each other but at some point guess they will have to go after some runts.

There are some nice runts
East Carolina has a great program and a great fan base - bad media market
Older daughter went to ECU and games are great 50,000 crazy fans

Right. If ECU can't be the next Boise, how does Apply get to be Boise?

And is Boise even Boise anymore?

agree that ecu has a great football following and has had some very good years only to lose their coach to the next level. they and wva tend to be the schools most big 5 conferences just do not want, probably for a number of reasons. thought ecu should have been in the big east when they were a top5 and of course, unc, state, duke and wake would never allow them in the acc. wva is just stupid in the big 12 now 10 but neither party had any choice, they were in trouble and had to make a decision while holding their noses.

I have never seen the allure of a FCS moving to FBS. ODU, App. State, JMU wants to so desperately. Why, to me it is ego driven decision made by these schools. Hey look, where FBS now, big time football. Except you aren't. You are still little brother to the BCS conferences, a fly they like to swat every chance they get.

And if you have a really great season, you get to play in some meaningless bowl in the middle of nowhere against the 7th rated team from a BCS conference that doesn't even want to be there and the outcome of the game is meaningless. Would prefer playing in the FCS play off system and playing for a National Championship everyday over that.

Reactions: Spiderwiz
Those that moved up is not looking at it this year, next year or in some cases the next decade. I had this conversation with some Georgia Southern people and to them they will accept the meaningless bowls. They think that in twenty five years the will be right there with UGA and Ga Tech (I have my doubts). The only way they get there is to make the move now and get your bumps and bruises. Do not get it twisted, they feel they did very well last year. They expect to dominate the Sunbelt for years to come.

This will forever be the chicken and egg thing. For some it is a great move for some maybe not. You will never know unless you do it. I love FCS. It is a great place for a lot of schools. For those that feel they have out grown it or need deeper water go for it. There will always be both.

Georgia Southern has always benefitted from demographics. There is no big program within 150 of them. They have always had a decent draw. From my seat everything cost a lot more last year.

Last edited:
I'm sure every FBS team that is not BCS thinks that they eventually they will reach that stature. If anything over the past 25 years we have seen a consoldation of power in FBS football among the elite schools and conferences, versus a rising tide for up and coming programs.

So, fans of schools that Georgia Southern may think, wish, and hope that is going to happen, but if we're a betting man, I would put my money on it not happening. And even if it does happen for some schools, thinking the FBS programs that have been playing FBS for a long time (East Carolina, Boise, Louisiana Tech) are much more likely to get there than Johnnie come lately schools like Georgia Southern and ODU.

But I guess you have to start somewhere. I wish them luck, they are going to need it.

WOW, the sunbelt, which really is identified with the southeast, is in new mexico and idaho, who would have known? with the addition of a 12th team, thus a championship game, it is between them and the mac for graduation to the top 5, oops, top 6 conferences. this is as silly as west va being a big XII member from a geographic standpoint. as long as they are sharing millions from their espn contract, guess it is OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT