ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Ball 2018

Mar 14, 2017
Practices starts Tuesday, Pads go on Saturday most likely.

Two questions I'd like to see answered:
1) Does the defense continue its better play that we saw late in the season?
2) Does our run game improve with a mobile QB?

Lots of new names in the two deep, but I think there is undeniable talent at a number of positions.

Last edited:
5ab196af4bc8e.image.jpg

UR receiver Jarmal Bevels playing catch-up, missed two seasons because of spring knee injuries

JOHN O'CONNOR·1 hour ago

At 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jarmal Bevels jogged with the University of Richmond's other receivers through the gates of Robins Stadium for the opening practice of spring football. Bevels did not cower and shift into reverse as the group approached the edge of the playing surface.

Given what happened to Bevels during spring ball at this site in 2015, and again in 2017, it would have been understandable if he reported Tuesday with hesitancy. He did not.

In the spring of 2015, Bevels tore the ACL in his left knee. That injury caused him to miss the subsequent season. Two years later in spring ball, "same knee, same injury," Bevels said. The second ACL tear kept him out last season.

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Bevels showed in 2014, and again in 2016, that he was among the Spiders' finest receivers, with the height, ability and willingness to rise and snag 50-50 balls. In another even year, he is back to re-establish his presence.

"I feel great. I may feel a little bit of numbness and pain when I do some things, but I know it's just going to help me out in the long run and strengthen my knee," said Bevels, a Fredericksburg resident who attended James Monroe High.

As a true freshman in 2014, Bevels emerged as a reliable target late in the season. In 2016, he made 33 catches, third among Spiders, for 465 yards as UR advanced to the FCS quarterfinals and finished 10-4. Because of the knee injuries, he observed Richmond's run to the 2015 FCS semifinals, and last season (6-5, 4-4 CAA).

Bevels can't get back the missed practices and games with close friends, and he said that bothers him, but there's no one to blame. Asked if he felt cheated, Bevels responded, "Cheated by who?"

He prefers to look ahead, and Bevels will need that focus because working his way back into the rotation will be challenging. Receiver is the Spiders' deepest position. Returning are 5-11 junior Cortrelle Simpson (1,019 receiving yards in 2017), 6-2 senior Dejon Brissett (896), 6-3 senior Tyler Wilkins (876), and 6-3 senior Caleb Drake (150).

"I feel like I'll add a different dynamic they were missing, maybe in the red zone, with my height and being able to jump pretty well," Bevels said.

Second-year UR coach Russ Huesman plans to take it slow with Bevels. He will be held out of 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 spring activity and take part in other periods of the 14 offseason practices that lead into the April 21 spring game.

Though Bevels is a fifth-year player, Huesman feels confident that the NCAA will grant him another season of eligibility in 2019 because of the two knee injuries.

Tuesday began Kevin Johnson's first spring as Richmond's starting quarterback. Johnson, a 6-foot, 195-pound junior from Atlanta, led Richmond in the 2016 playoffs when Kyle Lauletta was injured, then redshirted last year.

"I think Kevin's a pretty calm guy. He has played in big games here, which is huge," said Huesman. If Johnson didn't have the opportunity to start three playoff games, "I'd probably be a little more nervous," Huesman said. "He's a confident guy and I think he'll be a great player for us."

May be first time in many years we don't have any OL over 300lbs. In fact
it seems like this is lightest line in quite a while.

May be first time in many years we don't have any OL over 300lbs. In fact
it seems like this is lightest line in quite a while.

Apart from their weight,we need more OL bodies.We need at least 1
transfer that can play in the Fall.We have 8 that were rostered in 2017,2 incoming recruits this Fall(More and Singleton)and now 1 preferred walk on.I think Durden’s
offensive strategies don’t require big boys upfront but rather quicker,more lateral linemen.No more Power I formations...

Last edited:
Isn't that the deal with this offensive system? I'd expect more of this in the future too.
Mo that is what I was thinking but needed to hear some other opinions on this. So this tells me offensively we will be more roll out vs staying in the pocket, correct and will allow QB more options to run at times? Also this size line is more like an option type offense if I am not mistaken. But a pocket protection type of lineman we would want more size I would think.

Quite refreshing to hear a head coach holding himself accountable and specifically stating expectations for his program like Coach Heusman. Maybe we need to hold some peer learning sessions for all our coaches.

Was just thinking the same thing as I listened to the Huesman clip. Really glad to see the defeatist mindset hasn't infected his program. Russ takes questions head on, nor spins out of them with faxed talking points.

I thought Spring practice would never get here. UVA is a short 6 months away.

Managed to catch both the Tuesday and Thursday practices this week. A few thoughts...

1. UR is loaded at WR. Bevels is practicing (no contact) and adding him back into the mix with the returning starters is going to be fun to watch. The freshmen receivers are big and will help make this group even stronger. TE group looks strong as well.
2. Need to find some OL transfers, and quick. The line looked very good during the scrimmages, with the two freshmen taking a lot of snaps during scrimmaging. It is a small group that needs reinforcements, or else injuries could bite us in the ass. Not sure if any of the incoming freshmen will play, but my guess is they will not get redshirted unless some transfers come through.
3. We will miss Latham. Laughlin lacks the zip and accuracy we saw regularly from Latham, and hoping he can really improve on both fronts the rest of the spring and during summer ball.
4. Both KJ and Mancuso looked good, but both had some difficulties connecting with the receivers on the long balls. The short passes and outs were crisp. Seeing both run more as well as we all kew was going to happen.
5. Gordon and Jay Palmer looked good at RB, with both pulling off some big runs during full contact scrimmage. Deontez and X are still in no contact jerseys, and neither practiced either night.
6. The offense got the best of the defense in most of the scrimmaging. A lot of speed.

Great update - thank you!

OL definitely was a worry. Hate not being able to RS the guys coming in, as that's one of the positions where it really makes a difference. I know Russ' desire is to RS everyone, but sometimes "You can't always get what you want."

Managed to catch both the Tuesday and Thursday practices this week. A few thoughts...

2. Need to find some OL transfers, and quick. The line looked very good during the scrimmages, with the two freshmen taking a lot of snaps during scrimmaging. It is a small group that needs reinforcements, or else injuries could bite us in the ass. Not sure if any of the incoming freshmen will play, but my guess is they will not get redshirted unless some transfers come through.

OLinemen for 2018(from a previous post):
———————————————————

Short on immediate depth and experience.We are young and inexperienced for CAA play.Likely need added depth by at least 1, maybe 2 FBS/Graduate transfers.Eight (8)out of Twelve(12) of our rostered OL did not play last year.

Yarborough Sr

Williams Sr (switched from DL)

Cole RJr

Dixon RJr

Coleman RSo (sat out 2017 due to Furman transfer)

Settipani RSo

Sumpter RSo (injured 2017)

McConnell RFr

Doherty RFr

More Fr

Singleton Fr

Snavely Fr (PWO)

If the NCAA in April allows for a player to play up to 4 games and not lose a redshirt it would be a tremendous help especially for the OL position.Still need at least 1 immediately eligible transfer,nevertheless.

Last edited:
If the o-line isn't ready, then it doesn't matter how good the receivers, runners, or quarterbacks are. None. Of. It. Matters.

I think we will see a ton of zone read and qb power type runs to try and get an extra blocker in the run game and help the OL some. We do have a lot of talented, big wrs who can make some plays so if we can establish the run the play action game will serve us well. We were spoiled the last few years by Kyle's ability to hit the deep throw but this year's offense can be successful...just may have to be a more methodical, clock controlling attack...which can compliment our defense if we are able to sustain drives. One thing I'd love to see is more use and development of the screen game to the WR's and TE's. That could help supplement our lack of traditional running game at least early in the season.

Caught a beautiful day and two hours of practice. Good pace to practice, good repetition.- lots of reps, instead of all the pauses for teaching they had to do last year. Coaches were very encouraging to the players - but they are quick to jump on them for a mistake that lets down your teammates. This staff holds the players accountable! I think we are lucky to have them.

We have lots of receivers with good hands. Play calling has changed a bit. Coach Durden explained why. Don't want to say how - don't want some GA at JMU to impress his boss by reading our blog. Offensive linemen rotate in and out so much that a I won't try to describe who looks good - except that Coleman's talent and size are impressive. Clyde and Ritten look bigger.

SpidersLive.jpg

Football 04/11/2018 Matt McCollester

Spiders Live! Set To Broadcast From Football Practice Thursday At 4:30 P.M.

Bob Black and former football standout Chris Anderson (1995-99) hosting the action.

The event allows fans to catch of glimpse of the Spiders as they prepare for the annual Spring Game set for April 21 at Robins Stadium. Thursday's practice marks the 11th of 14 practices schedule under the direction of head coach Russ Huesman. Fans will hear from Huesman on the field, as well as see and hear the hard-hitting action on the field for approximately 60 minutes.

The Spiders Live! event will be archived on the Richmond Athletics Facebook (/SpiderAthletics) page so fans who can't catch the action at 4:30 p.m. will be able to view it on-demand.

Wiggins apparently left the team last week. It sounds like Samee did not return second semester and stayed in FL. His dad passed away last summer, right before the season started.

Adam Samee has been unlisted from the roster as well.

It sounds like Samee did not return second semester and stayed in FL. His dad passed away last summer, right before the season started.

Mark Davis NBC 12 did a very nice piece on Adam’s Dad passing(see above #33 post).Wiggins looks like he’ll graduate in May and enter the “real world” rather than play as a redshirt senior.

Last edited:
Wiggins apparently left the team last week. It sounds like Samee did not return second semester and stayed in FL. His dad passed away last summer, right before the season started.

Thanks for the update. That's a real bummer on both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT