ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond/Nationals baseball

GKiller

Spider's Club
Jun 3, 2003
Saw where Richmond was being discussed as Nationals AAA affiliate. Almost seemed likely. But Nationals going with Rochester NY and Flying Squirrels and SF reupped their agreement. Lot of changes with MLB and MiLB teams. Too bad I was hoping Richmond and Nationals would partner up. Makes way too much sense geographically & more. Plus Richmond is really a better AAA fit. Have to think the lack of a new stadium hurt. But the Nationals and Richmond should connect eventually, I didn't get the sense that either Richmond/SF and Rochester/Washington were long term. But who knows would have been better had they figured things out now imo.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Yeah, I think you'll see the switch at some point in the next couple years. Honestly, I have sort of come to prefer being at the Double-A level just because you get to see guys on their way up as opposed to mostly seeing guys who are headed the other way trying to hang on. But we are a better fit city-wise in AAA.

unfortunately I’m hearing it’s a 10 year agreement btw Rochester & the Nationals.

I feel like I've heard that somewhere before....like for 15 years or so, maybe? The city cannot get its head out of its own ass long enough to just build the damn stadium. While it was F-ing around, Fredericksburg got the idea for a team, funded and built a stadium nicer than ours and got a Single A Nats team. And here we sit, doing not a damn thing. Again. It's unbelievable.

I feel like I've heard that somewhere before....like for 15 years or so, maybe? The city cannot get its head out of its own ass long enough to just build the damn stadium. While it was F-ing around, Fredericksburg got the idea for a team, funded and built a stadium nicer than ours and got a Single A Nats team. And here we sit, doing not a damn thing. Again. It's unbelievable.

Part of the problem is the history of our elected officials. Are you a city resident? As a lifelong one I couldn't care less about building county residents or developers looking to warehouse NOVA transplants hyper gentryfying the city. Why doesn't Henrico and chesterfield who have much better financial stability and a ton of more land to develop roll up their sleeves? Would you be willing to leverage your tax dollars for that, or have it go to other municipal services? That's the only way the Diamond got built anyhow was regional collaboration. The city shouldn't of built a stadium for UR football or VCU basketball and they certainly shouldn't do it for a private business that makes hand over fist (albeit not this year), especially with the economic uncertainty going forward. VCU and UR are finding ways to build facilities without fleecing taxpayers, the Richmond Flying Squirrels or whoever come in their place can as well. Everyone said the sky was falling when the Braves left town how it would destroy Richmond and Richmond has done nothing but improved since then.

This has nothing to do with the ethos of having a sports team with a local affiliation I am pro sports and pro-development (if it makes sense). A stadium is in the works anyway with the VCU land grab over by the Diamond anyway. Let them incur all that debt and maybe it will even sink funding for their basketball. I would love to have a AAA baseball team with a new stadium that isn't affiliated with a team over 3,000 miles away. However, study after study shows overall stadiums are a bad public investment for taxpayers including the previous two projects put forth towards city council (Shockoe and Navy Hill). Socialize the losses while privatizing the profits.

I don't live in the city but I don't have a problem with local governments funding in whole or part a stadium. I get that the studies say they are losing investments in most cases financially, and maybe they are. But I don't think that numbers alone tell the story. I view it as a quality of life issue. A new, attractive, inviting stadium with proper development around it absolutely can foster economic growth in ways that aren't going to show up directly in a bottom line study.

Look at Pittsburgh, look at DC where Nats Park was built, look at Detroit. Those are just a few examples. I've been to each before and after and the differences are night and day.

Granted those are major league cities but I think it works at our level on a proportionate scale, or can. As a county resident, would I like to have the Squirrels closer to where I live? Maybe. But I think you lose something when a stadium is built in the suburbs surrounded by parking lots. Put it downtown around business and buildings and character. Make it a destination.

I miss the Renegades. That was a quality of life thing. The year we didn't have baseball, that sucked. How many families in the last decade have made great memories at a Squirrels game? I think that counts for a lot, and personally I don't object to directing some of my taxes toward a new stadium, whether it's part of a regional deal or whatever. I agree that it would be even better if the team paid for all of it, but most minor league teams can't afford that, and there are always other cities happy to contribute. I'd rather do what's necessary, within reason, too keep our team here.

Every other city in America can figure out how to get a new stadium built. It just seems pathetic that we can't.

The Atlantic did a great story on this a while back. I highly suggest it if you have a couple minutes. In college, my final project in a finance class was on public financing on stadiums. As a sports fan it was akin to a religion major taking philosophy and I have been very skeptical since.

I did not care about not having baseball that year but I was fresh out of college and had other things on my mind. If the RFS left tomorrow life goes on. I was pissed about the Rbraves leaving but they could go kick rocks as far as I am concerned after that. I wasn't willing to build them a stadium when their owners are a multi-billion dollar industry and at the time Richmond really didn't have the money. I can empathize with the quality of life argument but not over the finances. All those major cities you mention are part of larger counties and suburbs that also help pay for it, that would not be the case in Richmondssince we are an independent city and that's the underlying problem you are talking about. Its unique to us. Add in some good old fashion politics of 1970s annexation and you see why the wheels turn even slower.

As a city resident who didn't have access to HPS or CCPS growing up because I didn't live there, I don't really care about the wants or needs of Henrico/Chesterfield residents when it comes to city business and it goes both ways for obvious reasons. I want things that will attract families to come live in the city, not come and play and turn a blind eye to all the poverty that also gets ignored by our city government because they're spending too much time taking developer money to focus on that.

Im sure it comes off as sounding NIMBY but as far as I am concerned until this is a regional effort with a heavy heavy commitment from surrounding areas and MiLB (AAA franchise nats) its a non starter whatever the results yield because the only projects ever put forth have been all on the Richmond tax payer.

Last edited:
Both arguments have strong merit, I tend to come down on the side of build a "reasonable" stadium. I know the presence of professional teams and the resulting quality of life issue is important to many corporations when looking for a home for their corporate headquarters. The presence of Fortune 500 companies assists with the image of the region, the donations to charities, the level of income, the retention of young talent, the infusion of talent and ideas, as well as the typical tax and other revenue that is generated. One thing I would insist upon if I were to vote for a new stadium would be an overlay tax, the community where the stadium is located is going to see the most likely increase in revenue, and realty value, so let them offset a greater portion of the costs.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Noticed another article in RTD about Richmond stadium and Lou DiBella. Plans in place but no progress. Feels like the same article has been written for about 15 years in a row.

I still think RVA should be the Nationals AAA affiliate if they ever get it built.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yeah, sort of incredible that they could announce it was a done deal seven months ago and nothing has happened yet. Only in Richmond could this thing get screwed up so many times over two decades. Just build the damn thing already.

Yeah, sort of incredible that they could announce it was a done deal seven months ago and nothing has happened yet. Only in Richmond could this thing get screwed up so many times over two decades. Just build the damn thing already.
Uh, have you been paying attention to our clown mayor and ship of fools on city council? This is SOP. Although it would be impressive even for Richmond if the RFS leave after an agreement has been put in place. Henrico and Chesterfield struck the lottery not having to be part of the city proper. All the benefits of a mid size city without the problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT