ADVERTISEMENT

Positive trend

urfan1

Jan 9, 2003
We join this community to discuss our Spiders. Personally I see a positive trend for our MBB team over the past 5 years, much as VT, 80s and others have regularly posted. I enjoy the positive thoughts of VT, 80s and others as they have been posting about our Spiders. I would encourage all who desire to post a negative thought to examine their thoughts in light of our progress over the last 5 seasons. Perhaps if we all temper any negative thoughts by evaluating our recent progress we will all feel better about our team.

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: gospidersgo
We join this community to discuss our Spiders. Personally I see a positive trend for our MBB team over the past 5 years, much as VT, 80s and others have regularly posted. I enjoy the positive thoughts of VT, 80s and others as they have been posting about our Spiders. I would encourage all who desire to post a negative thought to examine their thoughts in light of our progress over the last 5 seasons. Perhaps if we all temper any negative thoughts by evaluating our recent progress we will all feel better about our team.
Mr Hyde?

There’s a thread on Mooney’s checkbook? /s

Until the Covid years are outside of the review period, I don’t think one can see a true trend. Covid was a disruption and it caused chaos, not the establishment of a trend.

Thanks for this post. I agree that we have been on an upward trend. I believe the continuity of our coaching staff plays well in the current portal environment. When players with one to 3 years eligibility remaining consider a move, they don’t want surprises. Let’s enjoy the moment.

Reactions: urfan1
4 of the past 5 years we have had post season quality teams including the highest 5 year average SRS in school history.

2019-2020 24-7 (NCAA Probably) highest SRS in school history and was on track to get our 4th at large invitation to the NCAA Tournament, before Covid ended the season

2020-2021 14-9, (NIT) the team peak at 19th in the country, the highest ranking in over 60 years before season disrupted by 3 Covid stoppages

2021-2022 24-13 (NCAA) Beat Big 10 Champion Iowa in 1sr round of NCAA

2022-2023 15-18

2023-2024 23-10 (NIT) A10 regular season champion

I still don't really know what SRS is, but in the last four seasons, our SRS was 71, 89, 141 and 85, so I'm going to avoid placing much emphasis on it. Those numbers aren't giving me warm and fuzzy feelings, and I'd say we were better than then 85th best team last year.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I still don't really know what SRS is, but in the last four seasons, our SRS was 71, 89, 141 and 85, so I'm going to avoid placing much emphasis on it. Those numbers aren't giving me warm and fuzzy feelings, and I'd say we were better than then 85th best team last year.
You missed the 1st year were we were 55th. Yes we were top 90 for 4 of the last 5 years for the first time in program history. In comparison, before 2000 U of R had very few top 100 finishes.

Is SRS the number of affluent folks from the Northeast that comment when you wear Spiders gear?

When it comes to basketball, it matters.

Is SRS the number of affluent folks from the Northeast that comment when you wear Spiders gear?

When it comes to basketball, it matters.
Why don't you pick another quantitative ranking which shows how well we have done compared to other D1 schools over time?

As I said, why don't you pick whatever ranking system you think is appropriate instead of just complaining?

u told 8legger that not me. also u r the one who brought up SRS and ranking systems in the first place. is saying SRS is a predictive system complaining? I've mentioned that b4 when you've brought up SRS but a good reminder.

Anyway I'd go with NET since that's the ncaa developed metric and the selection committee's #1 tool.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
This is true. But also true is that is a forum to discuss the good, bad, and ugly of UR basketball. If everyone posted and held the constant polyannish views of Spider hoops on here this would be a very boring place. Likewise, if everyone was all negative on the program, that would also not be representative of where we are either. Despite our best SRS ever (a stat that I never hear from anywhere but on this message board, we have one NCAA bid in the past 12 years; the reality is somewhere in between.

This is true. But also true is that is a forum to discuss the good, bad, and ugly of UR basketball. If everyone posted and held the constant polyannish views of Spider hoops on here this would be a very boring place. Likewise, if everyone was all negative on the program, that would also not be representative of where we are either. Despite our best SRS ever (a stat that I never hear from anywhere but on this message board, we have one NCAA bid in the past 12 years; the reality is somewhere in between.
The subject we are addressing is has the quality of Richmond basketball improved over the past 5 years?

Many on this board are negative without providing any evidence to back up their negativity. 97, you are using making the NCAA tournament as the sole measure of the quality of a team. So you potentially would prefer we transferred to an absolutely terrible conference with weak teams, similar to the early 80s, where we had a chance to win the conference every year? There is nothing wrong with that being your goal. Others would prefer we have top 100 program with a strong schedule. These differences of opinion are why a large percent of fans are happy with the program and why a few on this board are overwhelmed with negativity toward the program.

Last edited:
While I hate to wish away my summer and early fall (September and October are the best weather months in NJ imo), I can't wait for actual Spider men's basketball games so that we don't have to get ourselves twisted in esoteric threads like this.

The one thing I try to remember here is that even though we sometimes (vehemently) disagree about things like "the state of our program," 99% of the posters here are Spider fans (most of whom, like me, are school alums). But yeah, I'd rather talk about actual games than whether we're on the upswing or not, or whether Mooney dressed nice or not, or whether we should use billboard photos as avatars, the list goes on....

The subject we are addressing is has the quality of Richmond basketball improved over the past 5 years?

Many on this board are negative without providing any evidence to back up their negativity. 97, you are using making the NCAA tournament as the sole measure of the quality of a team. So you potentially would prefer we transferred to an absolutely terrible conference with weak teams, similar to the early 80s, where we had a chance to win the conference every year? There is nothing wrong with that being your goal. Others would prefer we have top 100 program with a strong schedule. These differences of opinion are why a large percent of fans are happy with the program and why a few on this board are overwhelmed with negativity toward the program.
To clarify, making the NCAA tournament is not my sole measure of the quality of the team or program. And I would hate to see us drop down to a lower level conference. The A-10 presents us the best chance to have the best possible team and program that we can have.

What I have said, is that we should be making the NCAA at least once every 4 years and in contention for the NCAA 75% of years, which would at minimum be a NIT bid on those off years and then realistically we might have one year every 4, where we don't make either.

The past 5 years we have hit those metrics, so I am satisfied with the state of the program right now. This past season despite not making the NCAA's was exciting, the team competed at a very high level, we won the regular season. Yes, I would have loved to cap that with an NCAA bid and the season certainly didn't end on a great note, but last season was a success in my book.

That said, I can't forget and collectively we shouldn't forget the 8/9 year period prior to that and that is a part of Mooney's legacy here as well.

To clarify, making the NCAA tournament is not my sole measure of the quality of the team or program. And I would hate to see us drop down to a lower level conference. The A-10 presents us the best chance to have the best possible team and program that we can have.

What I have said, is that we should be making the NCAA at least once every 4 years and in contention for the NCAA 75% of years, which would at minimum be a NIT bid on those off years and then realistically we might have one year every 4, where we don't make either.

The past 5 years we have hit those metrics, so I am satisfied with the state of the program right now. This past season despite not making the NCAA's was exciting, the team competed at a very high level, we won the regular season. Yes, I would have loved to cap that with an NCAA bid and the season certainly didn't end on a great note, but last season was a success in my book.

That said, I can't forget and collectively we shouldn't forget the 8/9 year period prior to that and that is a part of Mooney's legacy here as well.
Well stated

Reactions: 97spiderfan

No evidence come on. Also let’s remember more ncaa qualification was an institutional reason for the a10 move. The primary driver. It would be revisionist history to suggest it wasn’t at the forefront of the school’s mind. & it wasn’t Philly Bob’s 1 in 4 either he just said that on radio when we were struggling. I bought into a10 move because I thought Richmond had a high ceiling as a basketball program. Vcu was all too willing to swoop in & take it. Making it more frustrating.

So we have not been accountable to that, it is hard to argue otherwise. Yet they will try to remarkably sell us on being “one of the top basketball programs in the nation” when convenient. When not convenient it’s little ol’Richmond leafy campus & we competed. A top program would be pissed off how last season ended, yet we want to give out medals.

Another trend says we r due for a down year. I will wish and hope we have turned a corner and continue to have high expectations of NCAAs. Someone at least has to.

Not long after we joined the A-10 posters started whining we should join the Big East.
Every now and then we hear that again. Where would we be if we had?
I think the A-10 is a perfect conference for us. Yes, a couple schools seem to stay pretty
weak , but on the other hand some of us stay at the top half.
I feel the trend is up.

Not long after we joined the A-10 posters started whining we should join the Big East.
Every now and then we hear that again. Where would we be if we had?
I think the A-10 is a perfect conference for us. Yes, a couple schools seem to stay pretty
weak , but on the other hand some of us stay at the top half.
I feel the trend is up.
Oh yes, for sure. God forbid we ever go to the Big East!

We just don’t have a consistently good team that competes in the a10 year in and year out. What makes fans think we’d do it in the big east or any power 6 conference?

We have one of the best D-1 athletic programs for a SMALL university. In America. I believe that some
of the posters are embarrassed that we are a small, university or can’t comprehend the difference between
Richmond and Davidson vs. Michigan and Ohio State.

We have one of the best D-1 athletic programs for a SMALL university. In America. I believe that some
of the posters are embarrassed that we are a small, university or can’t comprehend the difference between
Richmond and Davidson vs. Michigan and Ohio State.
There may be reasons to be in or not in the Big East.
I am not sure size is one of them.

Undergrad enrollment 2022-2023 (I think)

Providence 3,996
Creighton 4,290
Butler 4,427
Xavier 4,850
Seton Hall 6,012

Villanova 6,989
Marquette 7,528
Georgetown 7,900

DePaul 14,134
St Johns 15,652

UR 3,145

Last edited:
we'd be the smallest. but Richmond is a decent sized market.
Big East would have to decide what they're looking for if they added a school, and who could ramp up their program with the move.
who can explain why DePaul can't be decent? good size. Chicago location. should be easy. but it's not for some reason.

Big East would have to decide what they're looking for if they added a school, and who could ramp up their program with the move.
who can explain why DePaul can't be decent? good size. Chicago location. should be easy. but it's not for some reason.
Yes, the difference between 3,000 and 6,000 is double, but may not be overwhelming in the grand scheme of things.
I doubt we would fit in the Big 10…😉

I am just surprised there seems to be about 180 D1 schools with 9,000 or less undergrad enrollment.

No idea, but at this point it's been so long since they were actually good that I imagine that plays a role. They also have hired retread coaches a lot in the past few decades, which suggests they are not up for spending what is necessary to really be serious about basketball. Maybe Holtmann can change that.

Reactions: spiderman
No idea, but at this point it's been so long since they were actually good that I imagine that plays a role. They also have hired retread coaches a lot in the past few decades, which suggests they are not up for spending what is necessary to really be serious about basketball. Maybe Holtmann can change that.
So Ray Meyer isn’t still the coach? He was last time I watched them…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT