ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Dashboard

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Interesting new dashboard from the NCAA for all sports to look at data from the transfer portal for 2020 and 2021. Some interesting breakdowns available.

Thought to check one example...the recent claim about guys staying in the portal for a year or more trying to find destinations. Well, the data shows that 28% (407) of scholarship men's basketball players who entered the portal in 2021 are still in the portal. Now, that means they may still be looking for a new school, they may have transferred to a non-NCAA school, or they may have left their sport entirely.

Yep, saw an interesting tweet this morning with some portal stats, but can't find it now - basically there are a high percentage of players in the portal that averaged less than 3 points per game last year, still looking for a landing spot.

Yep, saw an interesting tweet this morning with some portal stats, but can't find it now - basically there are a high percentage of players in the portal that averaged less than 3 points per game last year, still looking for a landing spot.
What if you went to the portal and no one wanted you apparently is answer that a lot of guys find.

I feel like all of our portal landings were moving UP or Lateral to UR (Citadel and Lafayette - moving UP and Wofford likely up but you could argue lateral as they have had more success lately). While I do like the players we got - the next step will be landing players from P5 programs who didn't pan out and looking for more playing time or bigger role. But I think that comes in time with more success and more consistent NCAA appearances for those players.

I feel like all of our portal landings were moving UP or Lateral to UR (Citadel and Lafayette - moving UP and Wofford likely up but you could argue lateral as they have had more success lately). While I do like the players we got - the next step will be landing players from P5 programs who didn't pan out and looking for more playing time or bigger role. But I think that comes in time with more success and more consistent NCAA appearances for those players.
I'm not sure that landing players that didn't pan out at P5s is consistently better.

I'm not sure that landing players that didn't pan out at P5s is consistently better.
As we saw with the Bonny players this past year, just because you came from a P5 doesn't make you better. WIll be interested to see how the Michigan transfers pan out at VCU. Three solid pick ups for us, we will see if they have the same impact in the A10, but they all have skill set to thrive.

Reactions: urfan1
I agree not all P5 coming down pan out, but just like recruiting HS kids - I don't think its a safe bet to always rely on kids moving up - you need a mix of kids.

For HS - you need a mix of kids that are highly rated and recruited, but also under-recruited kids that you think will be good or fit your system better than others. To sit back and think you will survive on soley finding those under-recruited gems is a tough way to survive.

Same for transfers - I like kids moving up, as they usually have good stats - but question will always be - can they do that against better competition on a consistent basis. And with P5 kids moving down - are they as good as once thought, will they be motivated, and do they fit. You need a mix.

Can't rely on one type - need both I think.

I think picking up players moving up is usually much, much better than players moving down.

I think picking up players moving up is usually much, much better than players moving down.
Id say Gregg Stevenson is the only post 2000 transfer we had that transferred down and succeeded with us. Possibly Tony Dobbins but VT was an A10 school at the time. TJ Cline, Blake Francis, Kinte Smith were all either lateral or promoted ones.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Wood had a decent junior year in a supporting role, but disappointed as a senior.

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT