ADVERTISEMENT

Obamacare

That isn't true. If your company decided it didn't want to sell Ipads to people of Norwegian decent, you would find yourself on the wrong side of the Federal Civil Rights act. Not selling Ipads to people without money...well.. thats just the very basics of business...

Racial discrimination regarding mortgage lending? Amtrak? The Post office? I don't think I am able to defend those within the scope of health care reform. But, I'm not defending health care reform, as I stated earlier...I was convinced when Webspinner said we could reduce health care costs by paying Doctors with apple butter.

Look, if insurance companies were refusing to serve an ethnic group, there would be a problem. They aren't. But they have the right to make money.

Let me give you my own perspective. I get my insurance through a small employer. About a dozen employees. Roughly half of us are covered, some with dependents, others with EE-only coverage. We are a young, healthy group with one employee and spouse over 60 and the rest of us under 35. The total bill is about $3900 a month.

My coverage (me and wife in young 30's and child) costs $879 per month. This is a pretty standard plan with $2500 deductible, 30% coinsurance and $10k OOP max. Our premiums will cost the company roughly $10,500 this year. I hardly ever utilize the insurance for me. Maybe 2 times in the last 5 years for routine stuff. My wife and daughter are both healthy. Our pregnancy for our daughter tallied almost $15000 in all on the various EOB statements.

We are having a son in October and Lord Willing it will be another seamless, healthy birth. And we'll get EOB statements for another $15-20k if it is.

The point I'm trying to make is that we are healthy and Anthem is probably losing money on us, considering our overall utilization of the insurance. It is totally absurd.

Health insurance needs to be consumer driven, not government driven to people less healthy than me that don't value the insurance, or frankly themselves.

If I were President, 3 things would happen on this topic:

1- Tort reform would happen, so my wife's OBGYN wouldn't have to hook her up to 14 machines every time I drive up her blood pressure prior to an appointment.
2- The government wouldnt have these absurdly low caps on what I could contribute to an HSA, FSA, etc. my FSA money would roll from Year-to-year. Again, Consumer-driven!
3- Shore up medicare and Medicaid! Actually attack an existing problem, rather than just turning it into a new, bigger one!

Lastly, to follow up on the Massachusetts example earlier, I'm all in favor of states rights! If other states want to follow the Massachusetts example, let them do it! Oh yeah, they already can!

This post was edited on 7/7 7:53 PM by MolivaManiac

just look, study england, canada and other countries for that matter and you will see what we are going to get. if you think pre-existing conditions are a pain, wait until you get rationed care, orchestrated by a bureaucrat. worked for an international company who provided, among other things health insurance for canadians when they traveled and spoke with them every day and was eye-opening and tons still come to the states for treatment rather than wait six months for an mri or other test. if you are over a certain age, can be as low as 55, you don't get, qualify for certain treatments. these are just examples, we cannot afford, as a country, national healthcare and where they will cut is just not treating citizens, period. would rather have an insurance company turn me down and at least be able to get treatment if i desired than have a bureaucrat tell me i don't get the treatment at all. believe me, what is coming with this situation as it evolves will be so much worse than what we have now and most already know they do not want it but it has been forced down our throats, they do not care and they will not care, it is about power not what is right. for you nynj, if we did not have insurance, which i feel is the way to go, then people could barter with their docs instead of paying cash. a plumber, electrician, landscaper could trade services in lieu of paying cash. others, without something to trade, would negotiate with the doc based on ability to pay and work out a schedule. we need to ween the providers off all of the guaranteed monies they rake in from the ins cos and the govt. would much rather have a system free of third parties and let the individual take care of it without the govt or ins company telling us what we can have, not have or anything else and with the providers not guaranteed anything, having to deal with us and accept what we can do. would love to tell my doc am paying him with a couple jars of applebutter or will fix his toilet next time it acts up or fix his auto next time the red light comes on, certainly better than third parties telling us what we can and cannot do. heck, we might even get back to docs making house calls

This post was edited on 7/8 9:00 AM by WebSpinner

"it is about power not what is right"

I'd suggest personal self interest and greed in lieu of power.

I'm with M. Anyone have more info on HSA's they would like to offer?

never discount "power". if we get the govt and ins cos out of the picture, we eliminate all of the restrictions and mandates placed on all of us, we are all in it together and no entity or individual can tell us what treatment we can have or not have due to our age or anything else, we are in charge, it is the way to go with our healthcare.

how many people have we seen in politics who do not have a huge ego? DC breeds power, money, womanizing. if we could just get them to go up there and then go home instead of remaining and making a career out of it. like the prez, should have limits on these jokers.

Thanks, NYNJ.

A, regarding HSA, the 2012 family contribution limit is $6250. It should be higher. Why wouldn't the government allow a much higher limit for the amount of money individuals can save for health expenses on a tax advantaged basis?

I have attached a link with some helpful information.

Why people think these plans are 'the devil' is totally beyond me. There needs to be much more education because they are excellent.

One problem is that commissioned health insurance agents hate them ... they keep commission dollars out of their pockets.

HSA Information

some good news on the obamacare front, it is going to cost less than anticipated because approximately 30 million americans will still remained uninsured. WOW, thought the main reason for this boondoggle was to cover the uninsured. now that we know this, let's just drop this thing over a cliff.

Spinner, I'm gonna buy you a box of Obama bandaids...they're good for covering up your "boo boos". My wife saw our mutual friends in Aldies (an exotic grocery store) today. They had left "God's Country" and come to the city for some vituals that didn't require possum grease for cooking. Doing fine and in good spirits. I've got Anach coming out here to the country from time to time, we need to get you, WA and spouse, Anach and myself and head out to Pigs 'R Us. Noone can argue while dining on great barbeque and banana puddin'.
This post was edited on 7/27 10:38 PM by tarrantula

that sounds great and really do not like to argue at all in person, only here.....lol. we have a local grocery store here with a really good pastry and sweets dept and asked them to start making banana pudding because they did not and missed ukrops' who made a pretty good one. they did, could not believe they listened to one customer. not as good as ukrops and their's was not as good as mom's but hey, it is nana puddin. also miss PIG here, everything is COW, which is not bad but barbeque is PIG!! miss WA and L, they are as fine a people as you can find.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT