ADVERTISEMENT

New Convo Center at JMU

RCSGA

Star
May 6, 2003
While they still need to raise $12M to build it, JMU announced plans for a new $88M Convocation Center. Looks pretty nice and includes a practice facility. I think we need to make completing the practice facility at Millhiser a priority and also completing the renovation of the ambulatory at the RC. Move everything non athletic out of Millhiser and into the old Refectory / Sarah Burnet Hall.

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/JMU-Reveals-Plans-for-New-Convocation-Center-301465541.html

millhiser-gym-university-of-richmond.jpg

12092604153_1bf258878a_b.jpg

12092687674_d2236d0789_b.jpg

I'm still not sure I understand the draw of practice facilities. What's the story? Why wouldn't you practice in the gym you play in?

I'm still not sure I understand the draw of practice facilities. What's the story? Why wouldn't you practice in the gym you play in?

Practice facilities make sense when you have to share a multipurpose facility. Our b-ball teams can access the real court pretty much whenever they want and have their locker rooms about 10 feet from the court.

Agree with 2k, not as big a deal at UR. It might be wise to convert MG into a combo practice facility/football/Lacrosse/Soccer/Track facility. Basically the teams that use RS.

JMU is just wasting money. They are irrelevant now and will be irrelevant after this. I wonder if the new convo center will seat 30,000 people, in keeping with their lofty attendance goals in other sports?

I agree that a practice facility seems low on the list of needs for our program. We can let VCU get its panties in a bunch about that, but their arena folds up at night, so they have reason to get excited.

My question to my fellow Virginia taxpayers. Where is the other 76 mil coming from to build this new convo, oops I mean basketball facility?

My question to my fellow Virginia taxpayers. Where is the other 76 mil coming from to build this new convo, oops I mean basketball facility?

They'll just jack up student fees again just like they have for everything else. They have to have some of the highest student fees not only in Virginia but probably on the East Coast. I don't think there's an athletic program around that's as dependent on student fees as Madison is. My best friend's kid just enrolled at Madison. I reluctantly supported his decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT