ADVERTISEMENT

MLK

urfan1

Jan 9, 2003
At this moment in our history some of us need to reflect upon the life and message of Dr. King. He fought an issue much greater than a sports team not living up to expectations/desires, but he still fought the ills with love and patience. He did not give up on his beliefs, or moral values, instead he confronted his opposition with love, brotherhood, belief in his message, and persistence. His message is one that is strong even today.

I appreciate what you are saying. I think the reality for some of us is that we've found that we care more about this program than it cares about itself.

You know where nobody argues about basketball?

Here: http://duquesnefans.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=1

And here: https://basketballscores.us/read/fordham-basketball-message-board

These are our peers in the Atlantic 10 from an NCAA revenue standpoint. Nobody argues on the Duquesne or Fordham boards because the programs don't have enough success to generate new rabid supporters. As has been mentioned elsewhere, we essentially turned our basketball program into the Flying Squirrels and tout our attendance as a function of that shift because it's all we really have to tout.

The other, larger reality for some of us is that the University of Richmond moved its athletics programs to the Patriot League years ago. The only problem is UR didn't tell the Patriot League or the A10 or any of the supporters. The folks that are still sunshine and rainbows are the ones that are OK with covert Patriot League status, plain and simple. I won't bother linking to the Patriot League basketball message boards but I would surmise there is no argument there either.

All this said, there are too many other worthwhile ways to fill up my time than complaining about Patriot League athletics. I'll respond to that reality accordingly.

Last edited:
I appreciate what you are saying. I think the reality for some of us is that we've found that we care more about this program than it cares about itself.

These are our peers in the Atlantic 10 from an NCAA revenue standpoint. Nobody argues on the Duquesne or Fordham boards because the programs don't have enough success to generate new rabid supporters. As has been mentioned elsewhere, we essentially turned our basketball program into the Flying Squirrels and tout our attendance as a function of that shift because it's all we really have to tout.

The other, larger reality for some of us is that the University of Richmond moved its athletics programs to the Patriot League years ago. The only problem is UR didn't tell the Patriot League or the A10 or any of the supporters. The folks that are still sunshine and rainbows are the ones that are OK with covert Patriot League status, plain and simple. I won't bother linking to the Patriot League basketball message boards but I would surmise there is no argument there either.

All this said, there are too many other worthwhile ways to fill up my time than complaining about Patriot League athletics. I'll respond to that reality accordingly.
Succinctly Put!!

Sorry, but thought this thread was about Dr. King.

Reactions: plydogg
we had a bad season. that means ... we had a bad season.
any Patriot League league comparison in terms of commitment or investment is an over-dramatization.

The actions of the program and administration during the past 7 years have indicated clearly that making the NCAA tournament is not an important priority. I'm not sure how anyone could argue differently. The facts speak for themselves.
ok, did the actions of the program and admin before that indicate differently? is this a new thing the last 7 years?

Yes, they did indicate differently before. It is a new thing in the last seven years because it was seven years ago that we dramatically enhanced the way we fund the basketball program, yet the results have gotten worse and we've done nothing to address that. We are spending a lot more money, which should indicate a commitment to success, but we are not achieving that success and no one seems to care.

Acceptance of not making the NCAA tournament. Real programs would not accept this dry spell. We have.

To the point of this thread, I concur. MLK was a great leader of men who changed our nation forever and was persistent with his message for the betterment of his vision.

still not following, Eight.
so we used to not accept not making the tournament? in what way?

omg. I know. 7 years. I'm still asking the same freaking question you're still not answering.

you say it's new, in the last 7 years, that we aren't committed to winning. how? what exactly are you pointing at? not admitting Bernard? not firing Mooney? what?

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can say it. Suppose you run a business and your goal is $500,000 a year in sales. You hire a sales director and he knows that is the goal. Then he misses the goal 7 years in a row, but you keep him employed as your sales manager, you don't give him any ultimatums, you don't force him to shake up his sales team, you don't give him additional resources to work with, etc.

That indicates that you aren't really serious about selling $500,000 a year, correct?

Last edited:
ok, so your measuring stick for commitment is firing Mooney or at least taking away his authority on running his sales team. that's how you could have said it more clearly many posts ago.

when would you have done that? surely not 7 years ago.

I think I said it plenty clear enough earlier. And it's not just about firing Mooney or not. The point is that as an institution, we have demonstrated clearly that winning is not a primary goal for the program. If it were, we would have taken some or all of the steps I mentioned. We would have relaxed admissions standards to get better players, if that was an issue. We would have forced a change or two on the staff at some point. We would have provided concrete expectations to the coach and/or fanbase (as the AD at Southern Illinois just did, incidentally). We would have made some changes if we failed to reach our top goal for seven straight years. That's how good organizations, programs and businesses operate.

I don't know who is to blame, and I don't care. Do better.

"The time is always right to do what is right."
– MLK, Jr.

Last edited:
Can someone name 1 change our admin or coaching staff has made in the past 7 years to get at a better outcome than the past 7. We've had some universally accepted recruiting cycle failures and roster management issues occur for several consecutive years and yet literally we keep the exact same set of people in the exact same positions who made those failures happen. And we steadfastly refuse to admit their was ever a problem, other than the AD throwing us a bone, that he demands a "championship quality basketball program" about once a year.

Can someone name 1 change our admin or coaching staff has made in the past 7 years to get at a better outcome than the past 7. We've had some universally accepted recruiting cycle failures and roster management issues occur for several consecutive years and yet literally we keep the exact same set of people in the exact same positions who made those failures happen. And we steadfastly refuse to admit their was ever a problem, other than the AD throwing us a bone, that he demands a "championship quality basketball program" about once a year.

They fired Gill.

Reactions: urfan1 and Ulla1
we had a bad season. that means ... we had a bad season.
any Patriot League league comparison in terms of commitment or investment is an over-dramatization.

Yes, we had a bad season in men's basketball but my observation is at a higher level. Men's Basketball is middling with no NCAA unit revenue. Women's basketball stinks and has for years. Baseball stinks and has for years. We didn't even win the swimming and diving nor ladies cross country in the A10 this year. We've had some modest success in some other non-revenue sports but nothing of major note and nothing that has shown any prolonged success. Lacrosse may be able to pull that off but they cannot get over the Air Force hump in the Southern Conference to date. Hopefully that happens this year.

At risk of brining on the Donald Trump memes, we don't win enough anymore. From my seat, I don't see the urgency to get back to winning either.

Also, MLK: "There cannot be deep disappointment when there is not deep love."

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
did someone mention TRUMP!!!! let's make UR great again! just pulling your leg buddy but i can feel your pain from a long way away and know it is tough when you put in as much as you do and yet not feel happy or even close to it.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
With the monumental day that this is i have decided to not take things too seriously on here. With that being said I’m done with being offended by comments or complaining about everything. We’re all adults...let’s have some fun.

Moliva - I apologize for last night. I kept leading you on for you to “offend” me and then whined about it

23 - did what I could to try and piss you off a couple weeks ago and I know since then we’ve both made a few posts referencing the other. This is my apology

To the accounts whose names I don’t remember of the top of my head but have the Mooney pictures - I’ve done the same to you and even when you make good points I just act childish. I’m sorry

Moderators - I’m done acting like Eric Cartman and playing victim in everything. Someone mocked what I said. Boo hoo. Time to make a remark back and get over it. It’s a message board not a court room. I apologize

To anyone else who has had to deal with my complaining...well i may still complain about certain things like the constant pro vs anti Mooney debate BUT I won’t be complaining to mommy and daddy saying someone said a mean thing to me. Hell I even apologize for having to write this but things have gotten out of hand with me being a baby. I fully intend to follow through on this and if I don’t I invite you to call me out so I can sit back up straight and buckle up.

Sorry to post this in MLK day post but just wanted to type it out to apologize to these people and hope to not be the person people dread seeing a post from anymore. Thanks for reading. Go Spiders. VCU sucks.

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can say it. Suppose you run a business and your goal is $500,000 a year in sales. You hire a sales director and he knows that is the goal. Then he misses the goal 7 years in a row, but you keep him employed as your sales manager, you don't give him any ultimatums, you don't force him to shake up his sales team, you don't give him additional resources to work with, etc.

That indicates that you aren't really serious about selling $500,000 a year, correct?

X2

In your example, the business has determined that being a good ambassador & steward is more important for the sales director than his ability to meet sales goals.

Yes, we had a bad season in men's basketball but my observation is at a higher level. Men's Basketball is middling with no NCAA unit revenue. Women's basketball stinks and has for years. Baseball stinks and has for years. We didn't even win the swimming and diving nor ladies cross country in the A10 this year. We've had some modest success in some other non-revenue sports but nothing of major note and nothing that has shown any prolonged success. Lacrosse may be able to pull that off but they cannot get over the Air Force hump in the Southern Conference to date. Hopefully that happens this year.

At risk of brining on the Donald Trump memes, we don't win enough anymore. From my seat, I don't see the urgency to get back to winning either.

Also, MLK: "There cannot be deep disappointment when there is not deep love."
Moliva you are one of our best fans in my opinion and I believe you really have a sense of what is wrong with UR athletics. I agree with everything you said in this post and I know you are one of our more passionate fans. I can remember when our season tickets were right next to wear you sat back in like 2014. I have met you multiple times and know you know what we need to fix here. Our athletic department accepts complacency and I am tired of it. I hate to say it but if this comaceny continues UR will likely lose me as a fan. I am already a lot less interested in basketball than I used to be and my dad didn't even get season tickets this season. UR will lose a lot of very good loyal fans like me if some changes in the direction of their athletic department aren't made.

With the monumental day that this is i have decided to not take things too seriously on here. With that being said I’m done with being offended by comments or complaining about everything. We’re all adults...let’s have some fun.

Moliva - I apologize for last night. I kept leading you on for you to “offend” me and then whined about it

23 - did what I could to try and piss you off a couple weeks ago and I know since then we’ve both made a few posts referencing the other. This is my apology

To the accounts whose names I don’t remember of the top of my head but have the Mooney pictures - I’ve done the same to you and even when you make good points I just act childish. I’m sorry

Moderators - I’m done acting like Eric Cartman and playing victim in everything. Someone mocked what I said. Boo hoo. Time to make a remark back and get over it. It’s a message board not a court room. I apologize

To anyone else who has had to deal with my complaining...well i may still complain about certain things like the constant pro vs anti Mooney debate BUT I won’t be complaining to mommy and daddy saying someone said a mean thing to me. Hell I even apologize for having to write this but things have gotten out of hand with me being a baby. I fully intend to follow through on this and if I don’t I invite you to call me out so I can sit back up straight and buckle up.

Sorry to post this in MLK day post but just wanted to type it out to apologize to these people and hope to not be the person people dread seeing a post from anymore. Thanks for reading. Go Spiders. VCU sucks.

Steps in the right direction. Stop making sh*t up about other posters and you're home.

Can someone name 1 change our admin or coaching staff has made in the past 7 years to get at a better outcome than the past 7?
We didn’t extend our last AD and hired one who seems more competent. There’s one change.

EDIT: I acknowledge we might need more than one change.

Reactions: urfan1
Steps in the right direction. Stop making sh*t up about other posters and you're home.

Haven't made anything up about anybody else on this board, but if it appeases you I'll be back home from vacation in 13 days so that can be when I officially stop making things up about others that way our definitions of me being home are the same!

I've only been around long enough to remember the usernames of about 4 posters. I don't have time to make up things about people and spend more time just looking up what their name is lol. Fake news Broccoli man!

Some people on this forum say very hurtful things about some of the players.
I ask for an example.....<crickets>.
Moderator says this isn't true.
Poster changes the subject..."Broccoli fake news."

It is really sad to me that a good amount of you seem to want the program to fail
I ask for an example.....<crickets>

Interesting.

Enjoy your vacation. Go Spiders!

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I ask for an example.....<crickets>.
Moderator says this isn't true.

I ask for an example.....<crickets>

Interesting.

Enjoy your vacation. Go Spiders!

We didn’t need proof when people said khwan was transferring so I don’t see why we need it now. I also said “seems” like that not that it was like that. And I stand by that. I believe people would rather se another 12-20 campaign where Mooney gets fired than 5 more years or 18-20 wins with no NCAA tournament. It may be the best long term option but it is still seemingly wanting the program to fail in the short term.

Was originally just a simple remark, I didn’t expect it to spiral into this. Last I heard broccoli had normal news and fake news came from the Brussels sprouts and carrots

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT