ADVERTISEMENT

Law school help, info

Wood Hall

Team Manager
Jan 26, 2015
My son has been accepted at TC Williams for the Class of 2019. He has other options so he's not sure he'll accept; much depends on where he decides he'd like to live for the next 5-10 years.

I had several fraternity brothers who are graduates and who have done well. Any helpful info or experiences to share from grads/profs/etc.?

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I go way back with the law school (like almost 71 years) and graduated from there in 1973. A lot has changed, but I try to keep up. I'd be happy to talk with him if he'd like to do that.

Continuing to grow in national reputation, but still retains that "practical" education aspect.

Excellent school. I graduated 40 years ago from there. Location in capital city with U.S. District Court, Court of Appeals for Fourth Circuit, Virginia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals of Virginia located here presents great opportunities.

Congrats to him! The most important advice I can give is that he should figure out where he wants to live and pick his school based on that (unless he's got an option like Harvard). Because most of the internship opportunities, summer jobs, alumni events, networking connections, etc. are going to be local. If you don't start building those contacts while you're in school, it's going to be a lot harder to break into the local market afterwards.

Not to mention the bar exam. He won't want to have to take a second one in the years before he can waive in to another state. So if he's choosing between schools in different states, it can be an immense help to go to school in the state where he wants to live at least five years after graduation (I think that's the typical waive-in period).

So again, unless he's got some high profile national schools on his list, picking a law school is all about best reputation in the location he wants to be.

Congrats to him! The most important advice I can give is that he should figure out where he wants to live and pick his school based on that (unless he's got an option like Harvard). Because most of the internship opportunities, summer jobs, alumni events, networking connections, etc. are going to be local. If you don't start building those contacts while you're in school, it's going to be a lot harder to break into the local market afterwards.

Not to mention the bar exam. He won't want to have to take a second one in the years before he can waive in to another state. So if he's choosing between schools in different states, it can be an immense help to go to school in the state where he wants to live at least five years after graduation (I think that's the typical waive-in period).

So again, unless he's got some high profile national schools on his list, picking a law school is all about best reputation in the location he wants to be.
Thanks for the info!

I know a number of graduates from UR Law that all seem extremely satisfied with their experience with Richmond.

My understanding is that UVA not withstanding, the UR School of Law is the best in VA if you plan to stay in VA and practice law here. At least that's what my attorney tells me (my son is considering law school after he graduates from JHU).

If he got accepted to an elite school, go there no question. Otherwise it doesn't matter and should boil down to what city/part of the country he prefers living.

We will be visiting later this month. Nice to get back on campus twice in the last five months.

Women's sports is not about winning or losing. Indeed, an excessive amount of wins in women's sport is often associated with undesirable traits unbecoming of a lady. Shafer is doing a fantastic job.
What do you say to those who think that this statement is sexist, antebellum, and doctrinaire?

Reactions: urfan1
What do you say to those who think that this statement is sexist, antebellum, and doctrinaire?
I still remember someone I knew who had a bumper sticker
"I know...I run like a girl.
...But for god's sake, try to keep up!"

It was still on her car when she drove to the Olympic triathlon tryouts...

Reactions: Spidermaniac

Such people are probably beyond hope so I say nothing to them. Fathers do not send their daughters to U of R to become angry, obese, purple haired lesbians. That is what VCU is for. You attend Richmond to become a lady. We are an antebellum school and the values and morals that have proven the test of time are the values we seek to instill in our female students. Shafer's contract should absolutely be renewed. He's done a great job with the girls.

Such people are probably beyond hope so I say nothing to them. Fathers do not send their daughters to U of R to become angry, obese, purple haired lesbians. That is what VCU is for. You attend Richmond to become a lady. We are an antebellum school and the values and morals that have proven the test of time are the values we seek to instill in our female students. Shafer's contract should absolutely be renewed. He's done a great job with the girls.

Wiser saner people disagree. See: Change of Direction for UR Women's Basketball
This has to do with performance. It's a shame that you feel the need to interject sexist and misogynistic aspersions into this conversation. Your sexist thinking has no place at UR...or anyplace else.

I have placed you on my IP monitoring list. You have now been forewarned.
Govern yourself accordingly.

This has to do with performance. It's a shame that you feel the need to interject sexist and misogynistic aspersions into this conversation.

For me it is about more than wins and loses. I have no desire to follow the path of the Cincinnati and Louisville's of the Basketball World and troll the sewers of humanity to find anyone who can contribute to the bottom line no matter their academic credentials or criminality. I don't want that for our men's team. I certainly don't want it for our women. Shafer has provided us with a team we can be proud of. His successor has very big shoes to fill. And I shudder to think think the delusions one must harbor in their mind to construe anything I said as "sexist".

For me it is about more than wins and loses. I have no desire to follow the path of the Cincinnati and Louisville's of the Basketball World and troll the sewers of humanity to find anyone who can contribute to the bottom line no matter their academic credentials or criminality. I don't want that for our men's team. I certainly don't want it for our women. Shafer has provided us with a team we can be proud of. His successor has very big shoes to fill. And I shudder to think think the delusions one must harbor in their mind to construe anything I said as "sexist".
It's about wins and losses for everyone at some level. You could have chosen Duke, Michigan, and Stanford as your models yet you chose schools most all would use an example as to what not to do. UR has nothing in common with the examples you chose with respect to the caliber of person and athlete we accept for the program. What you fail to acknowledge is that there is no reason one cannot compete and maintain academic integrity. Shafer was not able to handle the job expected of him with respect to competing.
If one is to accept Shafer's losing record and your singular criteria, one might as well hire a billy goat and only accept those into the program who fair favorably on the MMPI.
You cannot take back your aspersions with denial of the meaning of what you said in your prior post. So live with the classification duly bestowed upon you. Shutter away as you will, but know that many not only "think think" that your statements are homophobic and sexist, they know them to be so.

Last edited:
Not sexist at all, just stupid.

We were on campus this past week for a tour, meeting with students/faculty, and the admitted students open house. He might not pick TC Williams (it's probably either there or the University of Denver, which is very similar to UR), but they do a very impressive job of promoting the law school.

The students/faculty/staff he met were all top-notch and very welcoming and informative. From our perspective, good things are happening there.

Reactions: Ulla1
Wood, nice to see your thread get back on track and am sure whatever your son's decision, will be the right one for him. difficult to believe that smart people live in a world of catching someone saying something trivial which stops the world for them. amazing but they are out there.

We were on campus this past week for a tour, meeting with students/faculty, and the admitted students open house. He might not pick TC Williams (it's probably either there or the University of Denver, which is very similar to UR), but they do a very impressive job of promoting the law school.

The students/faculty/staff he met were all top-notch and very welcoming and informative. From our perspective, good things are happening there.
Wood, just curious, why would your son not attend a CA law school, obviously he is qualified. You should be very proud, I know I would be.

Wood, just curious, why would your son not attend a CA law school, obviously he is qualified. You should be very proud, I know I would be.
Got accepted at Pepperdine, USF and UC-Hastings. They did not offer as much financial aid as DU or UR, and California is prohibitively expensive.

He did not want to attend school in Oregon, our home state, after going here as an undergrad. And being a lifelong Beaver, he wanted nothing to do with what we refer to as "that school down the road."

Again, he was very, very impressed with everything about TC Williams.

The University of Denver is the final choice. He absolutely loved UR, but it was just too far out of his comfort zone for a West Coast kid. Plus the financial aid package at DU was just a little bit better.

Thanks to all for your help on this thread. And at least I got another trip back to campus for the experience!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT