ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse League Affiliation

SpiderFan

Graduate Assistant
Jun 7, 2001
Under UR notes from the RTD today mentions how UR will; announce in a few days that the lacrosse team will be playing in the Atlantic Sun starting in 2014. Seems a strange league to be a part of--too Southern oriented if you ask me. Must not have had too many offers or some sort of handshake/notice to them regarding a potential shift to Big East/C7 if that happens down the road.

actually, this probably tells us that the c7 is not in our future

I disagree, first of all you can't join a league that doesn't exist yet (Big East/C7 lacrosse), we wouldn't be a match for the Big 10. The other league might not have taken with the expectation of a quick leave if new conference membership occurs. This article explains that this is a brand enw league (Furman is also starting their D-1 program in 2014):

"Momentum for the conference is said to have taken a step forward after Richmond, originally exploring its options with other conferences, agreed to at least a short-term membership with the league."

New League (short affiliation)

Very interesting move. The teams in this conference are some of the worst in college LAX (which is just fine since we're starting a new program), yet the conference has AQ status. We could be horrible and still make the tournament, which I would assume would help recruiting.

I doubt we're in this conference more than 4 years.

Originally posted by SpiderFan:
I disagree, first of all you can't join a league that doesn't exist yet (Big East/C7 lacrosse), we wouldn't be a match for the Big 10. The other league might not have taken with the expectation of a quick leave if new conference membership occurs. This article explains that this is a brand enw league (Furman is also starting their D-1 program in 2014):

"Momentum for the conference is said to have taken a step forward after Richmond, originally exploring its options with other conferences, agreed to at least a short-term membership with the league."
Very interesting. Thanks for finding that.

Yep, I heard a key point in joining the conference was that UR would only commit to one year. Other teams were OK with that since they would get to keep the AQ bid and would have two years to replace a team before losing the AQ.

Lacrosse only league which is starting up for 2013-14 season under sponsorship of Atlantic Sun Conference makes perfect sense for school like Richmond and Furman that will be in their first year of lacrosse. Good to be in a league with an AQ and also the Southern orientation of league members will not be much of a factor in scheduling. The single round robin schedule will be five games plus the championship which one would guess will either be two or three additional games. That would be approximately half of the season schedule so the opportunity to play a number of other schools will exist. We already know powerhouse Virginia is scheduled so the remaining schedule will be of interest as to degree of difficulty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT