ADVERTISEMENT

Jenkins officially hired as coach

great hire from several angles, first, he is a super guy, second, knows our staff well and will fit in right away, third, knows our system so can hit the ground running as far as Xs and Os.

great hire from several angles, first, he is a super guy, second, knows our staff well and will fit in right away, third, knows our system so can hit the ground running as far as Xs and Os.

But can he recruit Webspinner - that is the question. I don't think we need an X's and O's assistant coach with Mooney as much. And your right - he seemed like a good guy when he was just the director of operations here, and knows the school and our system - but the question with him will be recruiting - that is the most important job of all assistants.

So everyone on our current staff has been one of our DOBOs at some point in their careers. Is that a record?

could mean we're doing a great job hiring DOBOs and getting them started!

Sounds like Chris is a good judge of coaching potential. While I am not acquainted with Marcus, our other coaches are great guys with terrific personalities.

Count me among those who believe this is a very good hiring decision. Everything I have heard about Marcus is positive. And, I have to agree that Coach "Moon" seems to pick good guys as his DOBs.
How cool would it be if one of our former players (perhaps a DOB) were now hired on at Princeton, to take Marcus' place? Getting future coaches experience at Princeton would appear to be an ideal scenerio, for many reasons. I love our current DOBs, but if one got an offer from Princeton (I have no inside information that this will happen), that could be a "win/win" for them and (eventually?) for us, if we could hire them back, down the road... I am very happy to see Marcus re-joining the staff!

Trap, your question is like asking if one of our recruits can go to his left or play defense. the answer is unknown to us but maybe CM knows. do know that as a parent, would be very impressed if Marcus came into my home to recruit my son. have met his parents and his bride, all just great people, just like him. tells me that he will be a very good in obtaining us very good student/athletes.

Spinner, both Rob and Kim are similarly great people. I would be happy to trust my son to their recruitment.

Oldie, Geriot already was on the staff at Princeton. Then he left to become part of McGeehan's staff at Campbell.

Trap, your question is like asking if one of our recruits can go to his left or play defense. the answer is unknown to us but maybe CM knows. do know that as a parent, would be very impressed if Marcus came into my home to recruit my son. have met his parents and his bride, all just great people, just like him. tells me that he will be a very good in obtaining us very good student/athletes.

I think the recruiting is unknown on both ends. Being able to recruit at Princeton, which we really can't say if Jenkins was able to do that or not because he was only there a few years and its not like Princeton won the league any of those years. is different than anywhere else in the country for 3 reasons --- 1) No scholarships 2) You think our academic standards are tough - I got a feeling Princeton are just a tad tougher 3) Ivy League - no where near the caliber of players we are looking for in the A10.

I think CM hired Jenkins cause he knows his system and knows UR. Which are all good things. It is just yet to be seen if he can recruit, which in my opinion, is the most important job of the assistants. I am sure he will get us good student/athletes like you say, but we have always gotten those, right? Are we not looking to improve or just stay the same we have always been?

I am not down on Jenkins - I am just saying - his biggest question mark is recruiting. I am willing to give him time to see what he can do. Maybe he gets us some good players and we get back to the NCAA's - time will tell.

recruiting isn't selling someone on something. it's being sincere and getting that sincerity across to the recruit and his family that you love the place you're at, you believe in the head coach you work for, and you'll do everything in your power to make that place a home and a second family for that player. I think Jenkins will be a great recruiter.

recruiting isn't selling someone on something. it's being sincere and getting that sincerity across to the recruit and his family that you love the place you're at, you believe in the head coach you work for, and you'll do everything in your power to make that place a home and a second family for that player. I think Jenkins will be a great recruiter.
You must also have great relationships with the HS and AAU coaches. Without that you are dead in the water. Just being from UR will not always get you in the door. I like the hire and I think Marcus will be a good addition.

sure, but HS and AAU coaches aren't looking for negative relationships with any recruiter. they want their kids getting scholarships to the best programs possible. it's not that hard to gain their trust if you're a good guy. he'll be great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT