ADVERTISEMENT

In other news

fan2011

Graduate Assistant
Apr 21, 2014
Wake keeping it close with Duke, down just 3 at the half. They played tough against Louisville on the road last game and had it tied with ~2 minutes to go, but poor free throw shooting was their undoing. These guys could be a surprise in the ACC and turn into a good win for us. Cal has been doing really well too and should be ranked soon. They should win the PAC. UNI doesn't look like a top 50team, but should comfortably stay in the top 100. RPI forecast is also predicting JMU to be a top 100 RPI team by the end of the season.

Here are the expected RPIs (according to RPI forecast) for our opponents so far, followed by the %chance to be top 100/top 50 wins:

Wins:
Cal - 28 (100% / 94%)
UNI - 76 (88% / 8%)
Wake - 86 (80% / 8%)
ODU - 106 (41% / 0%)
Bethune Cookman - 319 (0%)
Stetson - 320 (0%)
Presbyterian - 326 (0%)
Longwood - 328 (0%)

Losses:
WVU - 10 (100% / 100%)
Florida - 24 (100% / 97%)
Texas Tech - 34 (100% / 88%)
Saint Joe's - 53 (97% / 59%)
URI - 63 (95% / 40%)
JMU - 97 (55% / 1%)

Here is our breakdown:

top 25: 0-2 (might be 1-2 if Cal does well)
top 50: 1-3
top 100: 3-6 (might be 4-6 if ODU does well)
101+: 5-0

Looking at these numbers we actually aren't in as bad a spot as it feels right now resume wise. The way our team is playing is not great, but we are not out of the picture by any means. If the team finds a way to put it together we can still get an at large bid. We have 7 more games against projected top 100 RPI opponents, including 3 top 50 games. We have our work cut out for us and we really need to play better to beat these teams but the opportunity is still there.

Here is our projected RPI based on total wins:

24 wins - 19
23 wins - 22
22 wins - 29
21 wins - 37
20 wins - 47
19 wins - 58
18 wins - 72
17 wins - 87
16 wins - 104

I think we need 21 wins total to be on the good side of the bubble (20 might be enough if we get wins against Dayton and GW), which means 13 wins in conference. That means only 3 more losses. Not likely, but crazier things have happened.

Last edited:
I love what is happening w the Deacs. Playing everyone really hard. We knew we had a dud in buzz. Gotta cut the cord when it's obvious.

Except I guess manning can't change defense either lol. Duke has scored on 12 straight possessions.

I love what is happening w the Deacs. Playing everyone really hard. We knew we had a dud in buzz. Gotta cut the cord when it's obvious.
Father were you the one that put the "Fire Buzz" sign out on I-40 in Winston Salem? Of my 34 years in the Twin City, I have never seen the Deacon fan base
go after a coach like they did him. Surprised there were not more people going after Weldon's head also.

I watched some of the Florida/Tennessee game last night, boy did Florida get worked over the entire game, they looked like us when we played them.

Reactions: SpiderK
I still believe Wake finishes ACC in the bottom 5 of the ACC and outside the top 100 RPI. They might play everyone tough, but I still don't see them winning a lot of games in conference unless they catch fire from outside.

I don't know where they will end up within the ACC. Bottom 5 is probably right, but I do believe that they are a team to watch as Manning gets things set there over the next year or two.

As far as RPI goes, though, they are 60 right now according to realtimerpi. Given that they have entered conference play I can't imagine their RPI dropping but so much. With 8 teams having better rankings than they are, and only 3 teams outside the top 100, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of potential for downward movement. The bulk of their games are going to be vs. top 100 teams.

Father were you the one that put the "Fire Buzz" sign out on I-40 in Winston Salem? Of my 34 years in the Twin City, I have never seen the Deacon fan base
go after a coach like they did him. Surprised there were not more people going after Weldon's head also.
No I didn't approve of that but buzz was bad in every manner. Coaching stunk, personality was morbid, ego was out of control, and worst his past record was terrible. He won 2 or 3 road games in 5 years. The situation with the buzz shows how passionate wake fans are and how depressing it is when your program goes from respectability to embarrassing. They cared enough to be proactive rather than complacent and even if Danny isn't the answer at least we demonstrate that we care about competing and being successful. I think finding that great coach, and they are out there, should be every programs goal. Give guys a fair shot but when you know you have a stinker, cut the cord.

No I didn't approve of that but buzz was bad in every manner. Coaching stunk, personality was morbid, ego was out of control, and worst his past record was terrible. He won 2 or 3 road games in 5 years. The situation with the buzz shows how passionate wake fans are and how depressing it is when your program goes from respectability to embarrassing. They cared enough to be proactive rather than complacent and even if Danny isn't the answer at least we demonstrate that we care about competing and being successful. I think finding that great coach, and they are out there, should be every programs goal. Give guys a fair shot but when you know you have a stinker, cut the cord.

Wake fan's 'passion' was their undoing. They fired Dino Gaudio after his third season and back-to-back NCAA trips (4 seed and 9 seed) because that wasn't good enough. Then they hired Bzdelik...

I still believe Wake finishes ACC in the bottom 5 of the ACC and outside the top 100 RPI. They might play everyone tough, but I still don't see them winning a lot of games in conference unless they catch fire from outside.

I expect bottom 5, but 6-12 would likely keep them Top 100, 5-13 has a slight chance at Top 100 too.

Wake fan's 'passion' was their undoing. They fired Dino Gaudio after his third season and back-to-back NCAA trips (4 seed and 9 seed) because that wasn't good enough. Then they hired Bzdelik...
Fan my inside folks tell me there was other things going on such as office hanky-panky, academic problems, out of control players like assaults,
etc... The fans loved Skip Prosser and knew Dino was primary recruiter, so they accepted to change. I think this was more an internal decision vs
outside pressure.

Fan my inside folks tell me there was other things going on such as office hanky-panky, academic problems, out of control players like assaults,
etc... The fans loved Skip Prosser and knew Dino was primary recruiter, so they accepted to change. I think this was more an internal decision vs
outside pressure.

I don't know, the athletic director sent a pretty clear message, he wasn't good enough in the post season: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...letic-director-ron-wellman-dino-gaudio-firing

I don't have anyone on the inside, but I am close with a relative of Dino's. Only heard good things, but obviously a biased source.

Dino got jobbed by the fan base and the donors. Goes to show you what happens when expectations get way out of hand (2 consecutive NCAAs not being good enough). If I was an AD looking for a coach, I'd hire Dino in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Dino is a decent X's and O's guy, but most importantly he is a great recruiter. College hoops is more about Johnnies and Joes than X's and O's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT