ADVERTISEMENT

Huesman extension

Do we even know if Huesman contract was up? Not sure he had any years remaining but if he did it’s a different evaluation.

That’s 1 of the problems with UR imo the lack of transparency on contracts with the highest profile highest paid employees in a multi billion dollar org. But they can get away with it so they do.

Do not know how much time was left on contract, but do not know how long extended either. I do know I do not see much wrong with keeping Huesman around.

Football is 18-8 versus FCS since spring season of 20/21. Two of those losses to JMU which was FCS powerhouse and Spider starting QB injured in one of them. One of the other FCS loses in 2022 was without starting QB and one his first game back. One this past season, second round of playoffs vs #2 seed in playoffs on the road.

That makes Huesman with his recruits in place, quite a bit better than the 55% winning percentage that gets discussed on the BB board, and he is doing it in one of the top three FCS conferences in the country. For those same three years he is 13/7 in conference, again two of the loses to JMU. One could say he should have beaten JMU now and then, but no one else could either. Not excuse making it is just a fact, they were state school with over 100 on the roster most years and those are the schools in FCS that become powerhouses, for the most part. There is a reason only three private schools have been 1AA/FCS national champions that I know of.

Huesman IMO gets it about recruiting for Richmond and he seems to accept it, like it here and makes it work pretty well. Will we make playoffs every year? probably not, Will it happen more often now than since he first got here? I believe it will, but only time will tell.

Well tbf ncspiderfan that 55% talked about represents his entire tenure not cherrypicking a few years. Huesman is actually below Mooney at 53% for his tenure at UR. The competition is not apples to apples either. UR football is closer to top of food chain in FCS.

Everyone expected Huesman to be back but very reasonable to also expect to know contract terms imo.

Well tbf ncspiderfan that 55% talked about represents his entire tenure not cherrypicking a few years. Huesman is actually below Mooney at 53% for his tenure at UR. The competition is not apples to apples either. UR football is closer to top of food chain in FCS.

Everyone expected Huesman to be back but very reasonable to also expect to know contract terms imo.
Fair enough on the percentages of each coach's entire tenure. I just happen to be in the camp that Huesman has turned the football program around with his recruits, his Vision of Spider Football seems more in line with private school reality, especially being in the conference Spiders participate in. I could very well be proven wrong, but it is why I mentioned since he first got here in my post, I should have been clearer that I was cherry picking.
I actually have no idea what the percentage for BB would be if first three years of coach's tenure were taken out until he got his recruits in place, but to be fair, if rebuild was necessary benefit of doubt is warranted just like with Huesman, IMO.

If nothing else, football certainly does more with less funding compared to MBB.

Reactions: urfan1
If nothing else, football certainly does more with less funding compared to MBB.

I'm a fan of UR football and respect it, but honestly I don't think that's true. Football has 50 more scholarships. Do the math on that. To me u always have to factor scholarships in the funding. Plus there r supplemental costs to each body on campus that goes with it. & more football staff. The main revenue source is the one FBS buy game. Hoops has 5 sellouts in a terrible year. I realize giveaways and discounted tix but that's same as football. The gate is so much higher in hoops w less gameday overhead, plus it gets more alumni financial support, and has the ability to get NCAA $ from march madness. We dont get as much as we should but now have pretty good $ coming in there. Nothing like that at FCS level.

If you say it gets less attention from admin or less important to admin I would agree. I get it because the fact is we are a "basketball school" and I don't say that disrespectfully. I think if u looked at the hard numbers we r funded pretty well in comparison to FCS. The accounting on those things r not handled the same though.

Reactions: ncspiderfan
You think so, I always thought we were in pretty good shape for our level, but certainly not in the know. Of course, we do not know the new terms of Huesman's extension, but if memory serves, he was about Rocco level when he replaced him, which I think was up the list for CAA coaches, maybe even pretty good for all of FCS. Facilities are really good for our level and since we cannot sell out Robins Stadium week to week i guess that is sized fine for a private school at our size and level as well.

I tend to agree with GKiller that RIchmond is a basketball school in the admin minds, but football might get more attention for school (no matter the smaller interest in FCS) if we can get back to consistent top 25 FCS level.
People that follow FCS have been wondering what happened to Spiders over the last few years, hope team at least continues to get that fan bases attention.

Let's hope many Spider sports teams begin to get us more and more attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1 and whampas
Still hard to forget him screwing up his first season here with an NFL QB and 17 returning starters. Been better last few years, but should be stronger considering the CAA isn’t nearly as strong as it’s been.

Anything less than 8-3 against this schedule imo, a disappointment.

Still hard to forget him screwing up his first season here with an NFL QB and 17 returning starters. Been better last few years, but should be stronger considering the CAA isn’t nearly as strong as it’s been.

Anything less than 8-3 against this schedule imo, a disappointment.
That was a tough first year, back when CAA was probably undisputedly one of the top two conferences. Huesman did get a baptism by fire for sure.

Lost opener to playoff semifinalist #3 Sam Houston by 10 in game that was going to be cancelled then moved at last minute if I remember correctly. Then went on to lose 4 more by a TD or less, 3 conference foes that made playoffs. One to JMU that lost in Championship game by 4 to NDSU that also was the team that beat Sam Houston in semi and also Stony that got knocked out by JMU in second round, Elon that lost in first round to Furman. The other loss was Delaware in double OT that missed out at 7-4 losing their last one to Nova and in Rocco's first year there, again if memory serves.
Spiders had 3-4 record that year in one TD or less games I believe, needed a couple of more close game wins for sure.

Agree about 8-3 is a must next year. I put on the AGS board a while back I thought the CAA is now too weak and some 8-3 CAA teams might not make playoffs due to the weakness. Campbell loading up on FBS transfers might strengthen the conference a bit (wish they were earlier on the schedule those transfers might learn how to be a team by late in season) and Monmouth showed a little promise last year. Maybe Nova makes it back to normal. Delaware is back to stay I believe, and London should keep W&M in good shape going forward. All just my opinion of course.

Reactions: whampas
I tend to agree with GKiller that RIchmond is a basketball school in the admin minds, but football might get more attention for school (no matter the smaller interest in FCS) if we can get back to consistent top 25 FCS level.

it will never get more than a fraction of attention for school than bball. Even if football is up and hoops down.

it will never get more than a fraction of attention for school than bball. Even if football is up and hoops down.
Unfortunately, you are correct. I would say the 1 Dance game win last year did more than FB National Championship, but every little bit helps.

Huesman only made the playoffs in a year when his new OC brought a starting QB and starting WR with him. Now all of them are gone again, so my confidence level is not super high.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
It's okay, we're bringing in a stud QB for next year.

FB-Coaches.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Remember it was Huesman who brought in those transfers and the offensive coaches that helped push us to the playoffs and good football team last year. If you're not a fan of him I get it, but at least give him his due when he gets it right.

Do not know how much time was left on contract, but do not know how long extended either. I do know I do not see much wrong with keeping Huesman around.

Football is 18-8 versus FCS since spring season of 20/21. Two of those losses to JMU which was FCS powerhouse and Spider starting QB injured in one of them. One of the other FCS loses in 2022 was without starting QB and one his first game back. One this past season, second round of playoffs vs #2 seed in playoffs on the road.

That makes Huesman with his recruits in place, quite a bit better than the 55% winning percentage that gets discussed on the BB board, and he is doing it in one of the top three FCS conferences in the country. For those same three years he is 13/7 in conference, again two of the loses to JMU. One could say he should have beaten JMU now and then, but no one else could either. Not excuse making it is just a fact, they were state school with over 100 on the roster most years and those are the schools in FCS that become powerhouses, for the most part. There is a reason only three private schools have been 1AA/FCS national champions that I know of.

Huesman IMO gets it about recruiting for Richmond and he seems to accept it, like it here and makes it work pretty well. Will we make playoffs every year? probably not, Will it happen more often now than since he first got here? I believe it will, but only time will tell.
I disagree. Rocco left the Spider football program in great shape. It was stocked with high caliber receivers and an NFL caliber QB. It made the playoffs almost every season under Rocco. Huesman went 5-6, with that team. Huesman can't get away from the running QB mindset. If your QB gets hurt, what then?

Of course, the minor fact Rocco left both the OL and DL lines in subpar status is an inconsequential fact.
Rocco’s track record speaks for itself. He has always been better coaching than recruiting. He’s an acquired taste and burned a number of bridges with HS coaches. But he definitely can motivate a team and knows how to get the most out of players.

However, it was clear that he wasn’t getting the talent here he needed. So he started to pick fights and then abandoned ship. Not all that different than what he did at Liberty and what was likely to happen at Delaware.

Rocco’s track record speaks for itself. He has always been better coaching than recruiting. He’s an acquired taste and burned a number of bridges with HS coaches. But he definitely can motivate a team and knows how to get the most out of players.

However, it was clear that he wasn’t getting the talent here he needed. So he started to pick fights and then abandoned ship. Not all that different than what he did at Liberty and what was likely to happen at Delaware.
Delaware fan base got over him pretty quickly if their board chatter is any indication. Same problems, OL and DL. They had good skill guys, even NFL caliber guys at a few positions, but no results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT