ADVERTISEMENT

Hell Yeah, we just beat a Top 15 team

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Really we start 2 threads immediately after our best OOC win in probably 5 years, with a thread critiquing the coach and a thread critiquing other posters.

Good lord people, enjoy the win. Team played awesome, showed a ton of poise, hit some really clutch shots. And Mooney did a damn fine job pushing the right buttons to deliver win.

And just enjoy being a Spider with fellow Spiders.

Kudos to Deon for making two free throws at the end. He played a very solid game and was a major reason why we won. I also cannot undertan any negativity for beating a top 15 team on a neutral court. Just enjoy the ride people. Great win. Let's keep the momentum going!

This is the resume-building win we never had last year. Great effort by the team and Coach Mooney. They had plenty of chances to fold and held strong. Big big win!!

Best win in a long time. Our other wins against "Top 25" teams were mostly a faux "Top 25" team rpi. Cal was the real deal! OSC

Reactions: SpiderK
It was a great game and a great win. But in fairness, Ulla, we have no idea whether Cal is the real deal or not. It's still November. We beat #12 UMass a couple years ago two or three months later in the season, and even they turned out to be a complete fraud of a ranked team. I think Cal will win a bunch of games, but they are very young and really had done nothing to "earn" a top-25 ranking.

Cal is most definitely not the # 14 team in the nation regardless of how they were rated. Top 50 is a stretch.

Reactions: wr70beh
It was a great game and a great win. But in fairness, Ulla, we have no idea whether Cal is the real deal or not. It's still November. We beat #12 UMass a couple years ago two or three months later in the season, and even they turned out to be a complete fraud of a ranked team. I think Cal will win a bunch of games, but they are very young and really had done nothing to "earn" a top-25 ranking.

Eight, don't you dare throw any realism into the celebration. We won a game in Nov. final four here we come.

Eight, you miss my point. UMass, like rpi, was just another A10 team. Cal is from a major conference with 5-star players. This was the Spiders best victory possibly since knocking off a highly ranked Purdue team several years ago. OSC

According to Pomeroy, we're still 63rd, 21 spots behind the team we all hate. Cal has dropped all the way to 50th. Wake has dropped to 77, and JMU is 135. We're going to need to beat Florida (31) in order to keep our dream of that Kenpom top 75 ranking.

Make threes, free throws, rebound, protect the ball, block some shots and make steals and get a great W! Great team effort and seeing the smile on Marshall Wood's face when he had the hot hand ......................who could ask for more?

While I think all pre- and early season polls are crap (shouldn't even do them until conference play starts), let's enjoy the W against a good team that I believe will be a factor in Pac 12. Considering how young and talented Bears are, will only get better next few months.

A lot of good points by posters on this thread. I agree early polls don't mean much, but at this point in the year, pundits believed they were #14. Cal has a lot of talent, size and athleticism. Great job by Spiders to come away with the win. They could have folded when they lost lead late in the 2nd half, but they fought back and got the lead and ultimately the win. I was very impressed by the clutch FT shooting when the game was on the line. Nice win!

Kudos to Deon for making two free throws at the end. He played a very solid game and was a major reason why we won. I also cannot undertan any negativity for beating a top 15 team on a neutral court. Just enjoy the ride people. Great win. Let's keep the momentum going!

"a major reason why we won"? I'm sorry Cup, but I can't agree. I'm really not trying to diminish Taylor's effort, it was certainly positive this game, but 2-6 shooting, 2-3 fts, and 5 rebounds from a starter (considering the efforts from Allen, Jones, Wood, and Cline); hardly qualifies as a major reason for the win. I do hope for a strong senior year for the young man, but I would like to see Wood starting in his place. And yes, I'm tired of my own posts bashing Taylor, so I will make the effort to hold things in (unless he air balls two fts again).

Reactions: SpiderK
Great win by the Spiders. Cal will not be in the top 20 come Monday. Spiders will get a few points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT