ADVERTISEMENT

Have some fun

Was picking a band that is still functioning, otherwise would agree with urfan1 about the Beatles. Face it, any band, that can keep going strong with the lead singer being born in 1943 is a great encouragement. Saw the Stones in 2006 when they came to Scott Stadium in Charlottesville and it was right up there with seeing the Temptations in Virginia Beach in the 1960's. Plus like the fact they enjoy performing in outdoor stadiums, which as Mick says, gives them "room to roam."

I'm still listening to: Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band.

Last edited:
KE, Fleetwood Mac reunion concert on PBS tonight at 10 here in Va Beach. Won’t be watching as Stevie Nicks voice to me is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

My personal choices:

British Invasion: Dave Clark 5, Hollies.

US 1960s: Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Doors, CCR; Beach Boys pre-1970.

US 1970s: Eagles, Allman Brothers, E Street Band.

US 1980s: Los Lobos, BoDeans, Bob Seeger.

Britain post-invasion: Pretenders, Police, Rockpile, Elton John (yes, he had a band).

Canadian: Guess Who.

Favorite obscure band: The Brandos (Gettysburg), Aztec Two Step.

Solo: Gram Parsons, John Prine, Steve Forbert, Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, Gordon Lightfoot, Bonnie Raitt (Green Light and before).

Band that makes me think of UR: Doobie Brothers. Every band at every frat/Greek Theater/end of rush block party/Millhiser/auxiliary gym party played "China Grove," "Listen to the Music," "Eyes of Silver" or "Long Train Runnin" at least once.

Haven't really bought any current music in the last 20-30 years. Hip-hop? Forget about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spidermaniac
Partied with a CCR cover band in a dive bar on Broad Street many years ago. Partied with The Hooters in Thomas Hall a few years before that. a They’re a band kids. Look them up.

Last edited:
Spider Days - Bill Deal and the Rhondels.
Rhondels are still together after Bill's untimely death in 2003.
Just read that Ammon Tharp died in Sept 2017 so not certain if Rhondels still together now. Last heard them in person in 2014.

Fan1, check out Paul on Carpool Karaoke with James Corden. Extended version. Coolest dude around. Wish he and Ringo would hook up occasionally.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Fan1, check out Paul on Carpool Karaoke with James Corden. Extended version. Coolest dude around. Wish he and Ringo would hook up occasionally.

Thanks don't watch it often but saw he and Paul, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Exam week sophomore year. Cops really over-reacted is my memory from reading about it and hearing about if from people who attended.

Probably many of the same police who over-reacted at UR at the great spring streak of 1974.

Marley had a great idea. Off Topic posts need not be confined to political bickering.

Lets have some fun, relight this thread, and rediscover what most have in common, a love of good music.

Reactions: Wood Hall
My car has a CD player (yes, it's old). This morning I listened to Steve Forbert's "Alive on Arrival" on the way to the park where I take my dog. On the way home I fired up a Bob Seger's greatest hits CD, the one that begins with "Roll Me Away."

Saw so many good bands at the Coliseum when I was at UR: Elton John, Doobies, Allman Brothers ... and Springsteen at the Mosque and at the Memorial Gym at UVa in Nov. 1974. Grinderswitch and Doc Watson and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at the Robins Center and the New York Dolls at the Keller Hall Gym my freshman year.

Plus Dan and Van and Oldy Be Goldy at the Tempo Room on Patterson Avenue. There were some great cover bands at parties at the Greek Theatre and Millhiser Gym, at rush parties throughout fraternity row and at the old block party up on new fraternity row that ended rush. One of my Pika frat brothers played sax in a band named "Cadilac" that was outstanding.

And some good bands at the Pass, our go-to place in the Fan the last year or two once we got wheels and it was easier to get off campus.

There was even outstanding music at the mixers we went to at Longwood and at Mary Washington, a great college tradition that has undoubtedly gone by the wayside. Nothing more fun that road-tripping to Farmville or Fredericksburg to meet ladies who were much more interested in us than Westhampton coeds of my era ever seemed to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Anyone in here around for when the Grateful Dead got banned from the Richmond Colosseum in 1985? Before my time, but love to hear the stories of those there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT