ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Burton

Ferrum Spider

Team Manager
Feb 17, 2010
Don't normally mind Greg but my one big pet peeve is his pandering to that school across town already. 2nd straight show from the Costco center, considering 950 is the home of the Spiders, this is a joke. They bypassed two state schools on Friday playing for a virtual exhibition vs PVAM.

Not sure if VCU is vying for remote broadcasts, that would be the only legitimate excuse.

Greg normally gives us solid coverage, I just think the home of the spiders should be that.

Last edited:
Agreed. Friday was particularly disappointing. At least we don't have a home game today. I don't know if VCU is paying to get these remotes, but that is typically how it would work. If they are not paying, then it's really not a good situation at all.

I also would like to know what our contract with 950 says about remotes. Seems to me that's something that should have been written into the agreement – that X number of times per season, Burton (or someone) does a show from the RC.

Isn't Burton on VCU's payroll? And I'm not trying to be glib with that, I think he has some type of contractual agreement with VCU.

I think he teaches at VCU. And (I presume) that VCU pays the station for the coaches show to be on - which I would have had an issue with if i were UR.

No problem covering all local sports and talking about them all the time. But remote brodcasts and coaches show and a show for their AD is a bit over the top in back to back days.

Guess the other question would be why would our athletic department be okay with something like Friday?

Again could be a lot of moving parts, I'm sure money would have to be involved to get in bed with a station owned by Dan Snyder. After working in radio for a few years that's the only thing I could imagine.

Not sure what leverage UR has to change it, but Espn 950 should never have a remote brodcast on a day we have BOTH have a home game, on a season opener no less only to go back to the same school the next show where there playing another in-state opponent.

Burton is a joke, but I am sure it is all about ratings. Sheep just have more local fans than we do. 10 times as many students. "No question about that!" "No Question about that". "No Question about that". ........... Ugh, he is soooo bad.

Greg did answer the text and said that the reason he is there often when VCU has a home game is because of his duties on the broadcast for VCU (I think he does the cable broadcast). Since his show goes til 6 and he normally has to start the other duties by 630, it makes things easier for him. I get that. At the same time, I would say that on those days, maybe he should just be on the air live til 5 and then let Brosephs do the last hour.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
Burton is a joke, but I am sure it is all about ratings. Sheep just have more local fans than we do. 10 times as many students. "No question about that!" "No Question about that". "No Question about that". ........... Ugh, he is soooo bad.
Good stuff! SpiderK. (Sorry, but my vocabulary is limited.) OSC

screw our game being meaningful, hope rpi goes 3-27 and loses in women's bowling as well. just stick to your stats 11 and quit thinking

Reactions: Ram Bal
Greg did answer the text and said that the reason he is there often when VCU has a home game is because of his duties on the broadcast for VCU (I think he does the cable broadcast). Since his show goes til 6 and he normally has to start the other duties by 630, it makes things easier for him. I get that. At the same time, I would say that on those days, maybe he should just be on the air live til 5 and then let Brosephs do the last hour.

Good to hear he answered it, sadly I missed it, unfortunately not hardly workin.

I'd rather listen to Big Al than Burton, and that's picking the lesser of two evils there. For a city of it's size, Richmond has sucky sports radio.

^^It's more like 7 or 8 times or more. The same handful of people write the same things about Greg every 3 months. Broken record.

must feel strongly because you said it twice

Sorry about that. Double post. New computer, and working out the bugs. And yes, I do feel strongly about it.

It's a broken record, because there's not much as far as sports talk in this town. That's why when Bob Black subbed for Big Al it got it's own thread. You should see (or hear, I should say) sports talk in college towns like Knoxville...there are much stronger opinions about their talkers there.

You have it all wrong. Without Al or Greg UR would never be mentioned on Richmond talk radio. Just win and we will get more attention.

VCU owns Burton. When he does his show from the RC he never stays for the game. Of course that remote is only done if VCU is out of town.

Reactions: Ram Bal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT